Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Window Coverings
countrymom 07:23 AM 11-14-2011
my 2 front windows are huge, 72x76 the problem is that during the day is fine because i have curtains on, but at night when my children are in it, the minute you turn the lights on, you can see inside. I have curtains, but they are long wide enough, but what do you all have. Oh I live on the main road too.
sharlan 07:39 AM 11-14-2011
Can you cover the window with mini blinds or a wider curtain? One min blind might be too heavy, you could use 2.
MichellesKiddos 07:48 AM 11-14-2011
I have a rather large front window as well (52hx82w). I use 4 panels of curtains to cover the whole window. I would LOVE to be able to get blinds for it, but after researching it would cost almost $100 just for the blinds I've thought about vertical blinds as an alternative...
beachgrl 08:05 AM 11-14-2011
I have two long windows in front that I could probably get blinds for, just havent yet. I have the drapes that hang on each side purely decorative though. I also have a large double window in front, havent done blinds or curtains there yet but it is the same exact size as the large double window in my daycare room and I got some pottery barn kids curtains that fit it perfectly at a yard sale so I may need to measure them and see if I can find some for the front room that would be about the same size. Right now I pin a large quilt up in there during the day because the way the sun faces, it beats right down in that room and makes it a good bit hotter so I am sure I will want darker curtains for it but they will fade eventually without blinds.

I have a small window upstairs on the same side and I had a brown curtain in that window that totally faded over time from the sun beating down into our bedroom lol.
cheerfuldom 09:00 AM 11-14-2011
vertical blinds just turn into a play thing for the kids....not a very good option IMO
morgan24 09:09 AM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
vertical blinds just turn into a play thing for the kids....not a very good option IMO
I agree!! Can you make you own so that they are wide enough to close. I have made wider curtains out of sheets.
Crazy8 09:19 AM 11-14-2011
I have 2 windows in my playroom that total 72" wide - I have 2 of those wide faux wood blinds on them. I bought them off the shelf in lowes or home depot - they will even cut them if need be. I like them because they make the room dark during naps. I rarely have an issue with the kids touching them, only sometimes when they want to look at something outside - then I just lift them up a few inches so they are above their heads. I was more afraid of doing curtains, figured they'd end up pulling on those and the whole rod would end up coming down at some point!
Oneluckymom 10:55 AM 11-14-2011
Don't know if this would work for you. What if you got some black-out curtains in a neutral color and hung your decorative curtain in front of those (using the same rod). That way when the kids are there you could just pull them open like usual and it would give you the privacy at night.
countrymom 11:15 AM 11-14-2011
my kids have the black out curtains in their rooms, they are ok. I wouldn't care much for the curtains, the problem is that my house faces the main road, so when you drive by you see the curtains, I was thinking of getting blinds (the faux wood) but I have to buy them at menards because here in ontario they are crazy expensive for that size window (40 dollars or 200 dollars thats how crazy)
Abigail 11:37 AM 11-14-2011
Our front window is 70 x 70 so we found a cheaper blind at The Home Depot and they cut it down. I think it was originally a 72 x 72 and was only $40 total. I trimmed the cord up and then when I open them more than half way I just put the long cord across the window and place the three little end-beads from the long cord under a blind up high on the other end so no kids or cats can tough it. My cats cause more issues with the blinds than kids ever will. LOL.
countrymom 02:24 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Our front window is 70 x 70 so we found a cheaper blind at The Home Depot and they cut it down. I think it was originally a 72 x 72 and was only $40 total. I trimmed the cord up and then when I open them more than half way I just put the long cord across the window and place the three little end-beads from the long cord under a blind up high on the other end so no kids or cats can tough it. My cats cause more issues with the blinds than kids ever will. LOL.
I had those cheap blinds, and my cat broke them because he needed to look out the window everyday, so for my kitchen I bought faux wood blinds to hold up to his weight.
misspollywog 04:06 PM 11-14-2011
I have a huge bay window and found these really nice pull-down shades at JCPenney a couple years ago. They were on sale (half off - woot!) so I got them for every room in the house.

They are really good quality and look so nice inside and out, plus they have the sun-blocker stuff on them and are easy to wipe clean with a wet rag:

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...EXTERNAL|70822

I notice they come in up to 73" width but only 66" long so probably wouldn't work for you. Maybe someone else makes something like them longer, though.
Cat Herder 04:54 PM 11-14-2011
I use dark colored, cloth shower curtains with metal grommets. I then screwed in little plant hooks on the corners of the HUGE main window. No muss, no fuss.

I can put them up or take them down in seconds. I fold them up and toss them in a drawer. They are wrinkle resistant, washable and CHEAP. I have the expensive blinds lovingly packaged and stored for a day when I no longer do daycare.

Darkens the room for nap time and covers the picture window at closing time so my neighbors are not peering in. (I have "one way" security film, too, but it only works if it is lighter outside than inside.)

I must say I dread this time of year... The DCK's are here from dark to dark. I know it is the same number of hours.... It just FEELS so much longer...
VTMom 05:04 PM 11-14-2011
I have large windows in the front as well and I have wooden indoor shutters for the bottom half of the windows. I can open/close them as needed, have privacy at night (except the top of my head) and get daylight in without feeling exposed. I believe I bought them at Home Depot almost ten years ago...couldn't have been too expensive.
Michael 08:50 PM 11-14-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24201
Tags:window coverings
Reply Up