Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2012 Is Bringing A Lot Of Changes
wdmmom 07:27 AM 11-21-2011
After doing some contemplating, I've decided to make some changes for the 2012 contract.

No parent vacation. Pay the same rate 52 weeks out of the year. (Right now I offer 2 weeks at 50% off if the family gives me a 2 week notice.)

Supply fee: Each calendar year you will be charged a $50 supply fee. This helps cover the costs of crafts, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.

Enrollment fee: I started this in August 2011. $50 enrollment fee per child

I will no longer offer a teachers a break. Right now I charge 1/2 their normal rate for Winter and Spring break and I don't charge for summers.

I will begin charging full rate for Winter and Spring break and summers they will have the option to drop down to a part time status. I will no longer hold spots over the summer.

Do you think this is too strict and will potentially decrease my odds of enrolling new children if I have openings?
cheerfuldom 07:31 AM 11-21-2011
I don't think this will decrease your odds of finding new children but you might lose some current ones (depending on how the parents take it) and you probably will not get anymore teacher's kids
greenhouse 07:33 AM 11-21-2011
I will be making similar changes.
doing away with "holding" spots.
Doing away with free vacation days for families
adding DAYS OFF
wdmmom 07:45 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I don't think this will decrease your odds of finding new children but you might lose some current ones (depending on how the parents take it) and you probably will not get anymore teacher's kids
I'm not changing it for existing families. Only those that enroll after January 1, 2012.
Pammie 09:29 AM 11-21-2011
This:-)

But if you're like me - I'm trying to phase out all of my teacher clients for year-round-full-time clients. I've yet to find a teacher-family willing to pay for a year-round spot...or even willing to pay for 2-3days/week in the summer to hold their spots. I liked the light summers when my kids were younger, but now that they're grown and on their own, I need the year-round income.
daycare 09:41 AM 11-21-2011
I dont offer any of those things that you currently are offering,

I dont see it being an issue to find families that can work with this.

The only thing that I do offer, is emergency/maternity days.

If a child is ill or has a family emergency for more than five days, I will discount after the 5th consecutive day and will only do it for two weeks. They must pay the first week of absence and inform me right away, then I apply the discount.

So far, I have never had anyone do it.
Sugar Magnolia 10:31 AM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
After doing some contemplating, I've decided to make some changes for the 2012 contract.

No parent vacation. Pay the same rate 52 weeks out of the year. (Right now I offer 2 weeks at 50% off if the family gives me a 2 week notice.)

Supply fee: Each calendar year you will be charged a $50 supply fee. This helps cover the costs of crafts, kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.

I will no longer offer a teachers a break. Right now I charge 1/2 their normal rate for Winter and Spring break and I don't charge for summers.

I will begin charging full rate for Winter and Spring break and summers they will have the option to drop down to a part time status. I will no longer hold spots over the summer.

Do you think this is too strict and will potentially decrease my odds of enrolling new children if I have openings?
Nope. Not too strict. Sounds perfect. It may decrease your enrollment of teacher's children, but maybe not. I let parents pay 50% if they are taking a FULL week off, but only once a year. And that's NOT for new clients, and its NOT in my handbook, just something nice I "slide" them, if they earn it by staying at least a year. I actually think your supply fee is a little cheap. I charge $175 per year.
cheerfuldom 11:03 AM 11-21-2011
well I would get everyone on the same plan, or as close to it as possible. Daycare parents do compare notes and its not going to go over well if there is a huge difference between families. thats just my thought.

hope the transition is smooth and you can get some new families started.
rbmom 11:09 AM 11-21-2011
Spuds good to me, not unreasonable at all!
wdmmom 02:07 PM 11-21-2011
well I would get everyone on the same plan, or as close to it as possible. Daycare parents do compare notes and its not going to go over well if there is a huge difference between families. thats just my thought.

hope the transition is smooth and you can get some new families started.
It's so odd how I've read numerous stories on here about families talking. None of my families talk. None of the associate with each other outside of my home. And, I doubt that they would compare rates. Even if they did, there is a method for my rate structure. Some kids only come 4 out of 5 days per week. I don't charge the normal full time rate. I charge 4/5th of it. Some families need care 10 hours per day versus 8. Each rate varies but the variation is within $15 per week from my highest paying client to my lowest paying client.
nannyde 02:24 PM 11-21-2011
You'll be fine.

You are in a GREAT location and you have a big beautiful new house. You SHOULD max out every end of the business.
Abigail 06:10 PM 11-21-2011
These are my thoughts....
I'm not changing it for existing families. Only those that enroll after January 1, 2012.

Do you get any paid closed vacation time or holidays?

Is this per child or per family?

Is this due before care begins? Do you also charge a deposit for two weeks or does this enrollment fee take the place of a two week deposit?

I think treating all clients the same is fair not matter what job they work.

Once again, treat all clients the same no matter what job they work. Just say if they work only part of the year that they may wish to change to part time care or temporarily leave, but you cannot promise the spot will be there come Aug/Sept for re-enrollment. I personally don't have anything about this in my contract because I want to treat everyone the same. IF I do get school teachers who want to keep their children home during the summer I will ask they let me know WELL in advance and I would try to accommodate that will filling the spot for the summer with preschool age kids who no longer go to preschool.

I do not think you are being too strict. I DO however think you'll regret having so many different types of contracts for all families. I would personally change all of the contracts to no Christmas/Spring break accommodations as that is rare, charge everyone the supply fee, but perhaps keep your summer teacher kids change of schedule the same then next year change that. If you can afford to lose a family a two, I would change everything.

Tags:contract - revisions
Reply Up