Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I stood up for myself!
Growing1atime 06:12 AM 11-29-2011
It feels so good!

Here is the skinny:

Dcf has a flex schedule for 2 days (twins b/g, 1 yr old) a week and they give me the schedule every Thursday.

Lately they have been changing the schedule via text message on the weekends. I know, my bad. I shouldn't have let it happen the first time.

Well, on Sunday the dcd calls and tells me that one of the babies has pink eye and they won't be there on Monday and wants to switch Monday for Friday.

After talking it out with my husband I realize they are trying to get out of the paying for a sick day and just switch for a different day of the week.

I told them they could schedule another day, but then they will owe me for three days this week not two.

They backed down real quick from that idea.

These are the reasons that I am getting more and more spread thin in this business.

It's the "special special". I wish I could right that on my contract.

No special.
nannyde 06:17 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:
It's the "special special". I wish I could right that on my contract.

No special.

Growing1atime 06:25 AM 11-29-2011
Like the Seinfeld soup natzi

"No special for you today"!

morgan24 06:26 AM 11-29-2011
Good for you! The more stand up for yourself the easier it gets. Keep it up!
mac60 06:46 AM 11-29-2011
Yes, this is the problem with families who are on flex schedules. They like to change things up when things don't go their way.....and not pay for the change. I had a family leave a few years ago because I called her out on this one. They were a PITA family anyways.....I now have in my handbook a clause on this very thing.
Ariana 06:52 AM 11-29-2011
Good for you!!!

This exact same scenario happened to me. I offered to switch days for my DCP a few times when her daughter was sick. It then suddenly became an expectation every time she was sick but I put a stop to it right away. I told her that I choose when to make up days and it is my discretion not hers. I then apologized for the "confusion" It's kind of the good thing about advanced post dated cheques. I get paid either way.
MarinaVanessa 08:31 AM 11-29-2011
In my DC if you want flexible AND a guaranteed spot you pay premium and I REQUIRE my families to give me the dates and times of the days that they need at least a week in advance. No changing dates later, no changing times later, no exceptions. They can always add an extra day if it turns out that they can't make it on one of those days or of they don't need me but then they pay even more extra.

Or they can do drop-in which works the same way except that they their spot isn't guaranteed and costs more hourly.

I do "special" here. I LOVE doing "special" for my clients. I even do "special special" here. Special will cost you a "special price" and special special costs the "special special price". I could get rich on special special. Too bad people don't ask for special anymore once they see the special price .
cheerfuldom 08:37 AM 11-29-2011
I do special....for a fee I have a flexi-family like this and they pay for the flexi-service. works for me
nannyde 09:26 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Too bad people don't ask for special anymore once they see the special price .

LMFAO

Just remember when special is free it's not special to you. It's only special to them. When special costs a premium price then it's special to YOU.
rbmom 10:10 AM 11-29-2011
Yay! Way to go!!
WImom 11:17 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Yes, this is the problem with families who are on flex schedules. They like to change things up when things don't go their way.....and not pay for the change. I had a family leave a few years ago because I called her out on this one. They were a PITA family anyways.....I now have in my handbook a clause on this very thing.
I had a family too that left because I wouldn't let them change all the time. I nolonger offer flex. You can pay for 5 days and use any days you want.
caring4kidsinSD 11:26 AM 11-29-2011
I tell my PT families that the schedule is due the previous Monday. If they want to add days, they can if I have space available. If they switch(or cancel), they have to pay for whatever days they had on the calendar on the previous Monday and then any days they added.
Growing1atime 02:06 PM 11-29-2011
My contract actually is very clear on flex :

FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING. Flexible scheduling is available. However, flexible scheduling of days is contingent on availability within ****'s maximum child limits. Once days are reserved, payment for those days is owed, regardless of attendance.
Payment for flexible days is expected at the beginning of the week and your child’s spot on the schedule will not be held until full payment has been made.

I am however convienced that no one actually rememebers the rules but me.

It's not until I remind them that they remember.

I have already given notice to this family anyway. When deciding on who to downsize they were the ones that got picked.
Reply Up