Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Response needed
Brooksie 06:28 AM 10-22-2013
Hey guys! I need a quick response. Yesterday I had an infant with a mosquito under his eye. I got the mosquito and couldn't tell if it got him before I laid him down for a nap. His dad picked him up and he was still sleeping and I didn't see his face. I got a text this morning from dcm saying that when he got home last night his eye was slightly puffy and this morning its "downright swollen". She's taking him to urgent care because his dr couldnt see him this morning. DCM wants to know if I can take him back this afternoon because she has stuff she has to do at work.

My concern is if they give him benadryl or something and if the swelling is as bad as she is saying then couldn't it be an allergic reaction? Woud you guys accept this child back into care for the afternoon? My sick policy states nothing on bug bites ,but does say the child needs to be able to participate in the normal activities of the day, and if his eye is swollen shut and he's miserable than that counts him out right? Any one deal with this before?

Edit to say: She said the whole side of his face was red and puffy last night around his cheek bone and eye and his eye is very swollen this morning... That sounds pretty extreme to me.
itlw8 06:34 AM 10-22-2013
The others can't catch it. As long as he is not screaming I would take him.
Brooksie 06:42 AM 10-22-2013
She just said the Dr can't tell if the swelling is from the bug bite or sinus congestion and they are going to treat for both. They are going to start antibiotic and steroid cream this evening. She said DCD can keep him home tomorrow if he can't be here after being treated with the antibiotic (my policy says 24 hours)... So my guess is she is waiting to start the antibiotic until tonight so that he can come today... but if he is prescribed an antibiotic but they dont start him on it would you take?
Mom2TLE 06:45 AM 10-22-2013
I would take him, just have mom bring in a Dr note stating what they are giving him to cover yourself.
SilverSabre25 06:45 AM 10-22-2013
If the doc thinks it might be from sinus congestion, then I wouldn't take him. Swelling caused by sinus congestion can be downright dangerous, if it starts to drain into the space behind the eye. I know someone who's toddler had what they thought was a spider bite by her eye and it swelled and they took her in and it wasn't a spider bite at all, and the swelling was from congestion. The doctor treated it as an emergency and sent her to the Children's ER. I think they even called an ambulance for her. hers may have been obviously draining to the wrong place though, making it worse than your dcb's situation. I still wouldn't risk it.
itlw8 06:46 AM 10-22-2013
If he need an antibiotic and has not started it yet then I would hesitate letting him come as it will not get any better. the 24 hours after you start the antibiotic is because it takes that long for it to really start working. So no the child needs to have had the first dose... and then depending on the symptoms if he can come or not. Dad can stay home today with the sick kid not tomorrow when he is getting well.
Mom2TLE 06:49 AM 10-22-2013
I posted before you had posted your second response, I would not if he was prescribed s something then he needs to be started on it and on it 24 hours before returning.
itlw8 06:54 AM 10-22-2013
so it was important enough to go to urgent care but they want to delay treatment and let it get worse in the mean time. that makes no sence at all. It will continue to swell if it is the sinus infection.
Cat Herder 06:58 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
so it was important enough to go to urgent care but they want to delay treatment and let it get worse in the mean time. that makes no sence at all.
For this reason alone I'd opt out.

"Emergency" services abuse is one of my hot buttons anyway....
daycarediva 07:01 AM 10-22-2013
I fail to understand how it was important enough to go to urgent care, but NOT important enough that they are delaying treatment.... *sigh*

Remember the bee sting dck I had over summer? I accepted her into care, med free, until she could no longer participate. It was a GIANT issue, and I now have a bug bite portion in my health policy (which is going to be 100 pages long when I retire)
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

"Emergency" services abuse is one of my hot buttons anyway....
Sounds like you've been hanging around my house lately?
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sounds like you've been hanging around my house lately?
No, but I suspect I missed something awesome...

I have been picking up more hours outside of daycare lately and became reacquainted with the issues... grrr
daycare 08:16 AM 10-22-2013
this is exactly why I stress that I must exclude for the symptoms......

I would not allow the child back. I agree with those that said if it warrants a cll to the emergency room, then the child needs to be on the meds now and stay home.

I am dealing with similar stuff right now. I think one of the things that I hate most about this business is when the kids get sick and getting the parents to understand that we can NOT care for their children when they are ill.
butterfly 12:05 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Hey guys! I need a quick response. Yesterday I had an infant with a mosquito under his eye. I got the mosquito and couldn't tell if it got him before I laid him down for a nap. His dad picked him up and he was still sleeping and I didn't see his face. I got a text this morning from dcm saying that when he got home last night his eye was slightly puffy and this morning its "downright swollen". She's taking him to urgent care because his dr couldnt see him this morning. DCM wants to know if I can take him back this afternoon because she has stuff she has to do at work.

My concern is if they give him benadryl or something and if the swelling is as bad as she is saying then couldn't it be an allergic reaction? Woud you guys accept this child back into care for the afternoon? My sick policy states nothing on bug bites ,but does say the child needs to be able to participate in the normal activities of the day, and if his eye is swollen shut and he's miserable than that counts him out right? Any one deal with this before?

Edit to say: She said the whole side of his face was red and puffy last night around his cheek bone and eye and his eye is very swollen this morning... That sounds pretty extreme to me.
What did you decide to do? How did it go?
Unregistered 12:30 PM 10-22-2013
It could be she is waiting so that meds can be given on a doable schedule. 2x day means every 12 hours so if she gave it now then his daytime dosage would fall while he is in your care and 2nd dosage around midnight depending what time she gave 1st one. And so since most of you DONT do meds then what is she to do?
Meds should be on a set schedule not when it's most convenient.
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
then what is she to do?
IMHO, She could communicate with her provider.

Edit: Sorry.... Wrong thread.

Time for coffee......
cara041083 01:01 PM 10-22-2013
I think you should take him. If its a bug bite, The doc is probley giving an antibiotic because it could of been from a spider or something. If hes not congested, stuffed up, or running a fever then It doesn't sound like the baby is sick.
Reply Up