Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long on Average Does it Take to Get Kids in a Daycare?
janderson 12:29 PM 05-11-2010
I have put up several fliers around town (I live out of town in the country), in gas stations, restraunts, laundry mats etc and have had a couple calls...but some people ask my rates and that's all they want to no....I don't wanna get discouraged because I really want to do this. It's only been a couple of weeks so it's not as if I have been advertising forever(guess I am a little impatient I have been told once you get a couple kids in-then it will be easier because it will be by word of mouth....
Daycare Mommy 01:22 PM 05-11-2010
I think if your prices are reasonable, and you are convenient to some families commute-wise, and you have a good home daycare environment to offer it's just a matter of getting the word out.

My advertising advice:

#1 - Make your own website. You can do it for free. Post info and some nice pics of your setup. (Try to use natural morning light when you take your pics and not a flash. Just looks nicer. )

#2 - Google whatever you'd type in if you were a local searching for care. Atlanta daycare or (zip code) childcare or (main road) daycare or (neighborhood) daycare. Whatever listing sites show up, those are the ones worth advertising on. Make sure to put the link to your website on the ad.
originalkat 01:43 PM 05-11-2010
It usually takes me at least a month to get a new child enrolled. It works out MUCH better when someone is referred to you though. Whenever I have an opening I offer $25 off one week tuition for a current family if someone they refer enrolls.

Most of my current enrollments have been referred by my mother-in-law though.

I know it can be discouraging. I get a lot of calls who ask for the rate and then I never hear from them again. So that is normal. It sucks, but that is just part of going into business for yourself.

Keep it up and you will get some enrollments!
Childminder 01:54 PM 05-11-2010
After taking months of getting licensed I opened Oct 1st 2004 with one child. The last day of Jan 2005 I spoke with God and said "if you want me to do this give me a sign or I'm giving up". Would've had to give up, I was getting shut off notices and had been out of work for all most a year by then. By Feb 8th I was full! Hang in there! My best advertisement was through my local child care council data base.
Francine 03:40 PM 05-11-2010
I have had an ad in our local paper for about two months, posted on craigslist, hung flyers and prayed ALOT. Just today I signed on my first client and put in my two weeks notice at work...YEAH! AND I have two interviews later this week. Oh, and the baby that I signed on today was a word of mouth referral.

Don't give up! I have been so frustrated in past couple of weeks but things are looking up, they will for you too!
misol 04:49 PM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I have had an ad in our local paper for about two months, posted on craigslist, hung flyers and prayed ALOT. Just today I signed on my first client and put in my two weeks notice at work...YEAH! AND I have two interviews later this week. Oh, and the baby that I signed on today was a word of mouth referral.

Don't give up! I have been so frustrated in past couple of weeks but things are looking up, they will for you too!
Congratulations miss joy!

I am still trying to fill my last spot. On average it has taken me about 2 months to fill a spot but this last one is tough! There will certainly be a celebration when I am full.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:28 PM 05-11-2010
I was full before I even got registered...when I got registered I let 2 go from the same family due to behavior issues and one left because the mom had a family member that would do it for free and wanted to save money.. it took me months to get a call after that...it was during the winter and must have been a slow time around here..I had my ad running in the paper every week and flyers around town and nothing.

Then in the spring I was getting several calls..I have had to turn a couple away. Hang in there, I was getting so discouraged then all of a sudden calls were coming in.
Unregistered 06:30 PM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Congratulations miss joy!

I am still trying to fill my last spot. On average it has taken me about 2 months to fill a spot but this last one is tough! There will certainly be a celebration when I am full.

I can't wait to say I am full, heck I would happy to say I have 3 right now. I have 2 1/2 weeks to gather up another client or two before my job ends or things are going to be slim pickins for a while.
SunflowerMama 06:45 PM 05-11-2010
It took me about a month. I started advertising in February and was full by mid-March. Once I got my first few kids it got much easier...interviews were easier and I didn't feel as pressured and stressed.
janderson 06:26 AM 05-12-2010
Thanks so much everyone....it gives me hope! I need to relax and let it happen I guess! All of your advice was awesome. I will keep you posted as things progress...
boysx5 06:42 AM 05-12-2010
I just started back up two years ago in a new state and I always had my two infant spot filled. I am finally going to have six kids come June so for me it took some time but its worth the wait and time to ease back into slowly.
Tags:advertising, craigs list, filling spots
Reply Up