Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weird Names
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 11-30-2010
I just have to ask everyone...what are some of the weirdest names you have had in child care kids? I have a provider friend who recently enrolled a 3 year old named Cloud. (He is white so I don't think there is any culturally meaning behind it) and his brothers names are Tim and Matt. My own daughters name is Ryan so I used to get all sorts of funny looks from people. She is 22 now. In this day and age, you kind of have to wonder what people are thinking when they name their children. I had a DCB who is named Christopher. His real name is Jack. Imagine after learning to spell his whole name and realizing he could have gotten away with Jack all this time!?!? I've had a Burkeley, a Majestica and a Daymin (normal name pronounced Damon, just spelled differently) I even know a girl named Elizabeth Libby. No one told her parents that Libby is a nickname for Elizabeth so I think it is funny to have that name...So I was wondering what other weird names are out there.....
booroo 01:38 PM 11-30-2010
Well I have a Kieron....but hes my own.... it pronouced Kirun!! just spelled differently.... Cloud is diffenetly out there... but the drugs must of been good..
SunflowerMama 01:49 PM 11-30-2010
My daughter's name is Ryan too!! I love gender neutral names for girls. My neighbor growing up was Stormy (boy) and my girl cousin is Everjoy.
Live and Learn 01:50 PM 11-30-2010
I know a Rain and a Timber.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
My daughter's name is Ryan too!! I love gender neutral names for girls. My neighbor growing up was named Stormy (boy) and my girl cousin is Everjoy.
Does she (your dd) ever complain? Mine LOVES her name! She says it makes her unique. Her BF says when they get engaged he is worried ppl will think he is marrying a boy when they read the anouncement! LOL!! I love gender neutral names too! I have never heard of anyone else who has a girl named Ryan so I think it is neat! Well, I know Holli Robinson-Peete has twins named Rodney (boy) and Ryan (girl). I also have a friend from High School who has three girls named Randi, Mychal and Tyler.
booroo 02:00 PM 11-30-2010
Well the rest of my kids names are gender netrual as well.. and I must say.... I like them..
Rylee a girl
Aubree a girl- I know sounds like a girls name.. but I did find it in the male names as another male form of Alfred(fil) so that why I named her that... But I like her name... I love it.

Kelby is a boy.... and I have never heard it before... until one day at a swim meet, after he was born.. we met a girl named Kelbee!!
melissa ann 02:28 PM 11-30-2010
I have a dcg named Jade.
MarinaVanessa 02:33 PM 11-30-2010
My own is named Isis (Ice-is) and were she a boy it would have been Ociris. I used to have a DC baby named Waylon that did absolutely nothing but wail all day long.
I have a niece named Alexis with a sister named Mercedes but had it have been a boy his name would have been Bentley (we joke that their next baby will be Jaguar or Honda).
I used to babysit a little girl named Deborah but you had to say it Debore-Uh not Debruh like it's spelling.
I have cousins that were all named after flowers ... Iris, Lilly & Lirio (white lilly) and another one named Rocio (dew).
My own is Marina which is not common but deffinetely not as quirky as others I've heard lol.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
My own is named Isis (Ice-is)
My own is Marina which is not common but deffinetely not as quirky as others I've heard lol.
Love them both!!!!! I liked the Ociris one too until someone told me it is another name for Satan. I wanted to name my own Orion, but was too chicken so I went with just plain Ryan. I really like Isis though.....how very original.
Abigail 02:46 PM 11-30-2010
Most of our daycare kids have weird and unusual names, lol. That is the first time that caught my attention when I started because we don't have any typical names like Josh, Sam, Ashley, or Brittany. Some parents must have run out of ideas and just put letters together. That was the joke, lol.
jen 03:23 PM 11-30-2010
Hmmm...most unique dck names...

Brynn or Breah

I know, not that different, most of mine are Sam's and Ben's and Austins

My own son's name is Keegan, but that isn't too different either!
tenderhearts 03:55 PM 11-30-2010
I had a Thor and an Irissa. A relative of mine his daughters name was Brittney, well the mom made everyone call her Brittany with the tt emphasized BriT-Tany, if that makes sense, well it's now years later and now everyone says it the normal way lol.
boysx5 04:04 PM 11-30-2010
I had a Titan at one time never heard that name before I also have a Bryce but she is a girl and a Colton
AfterSchoolMom 04:53 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wanted to name my own Orion, but was too chicken so I went with just plain Ryan. I really like Isis though.....how very original.
I always liked Orion too, but I read somewhere that it means "King of the Fairies", and I'd hate to do that to my son.
momofboys 04:59 PM 11-30-2010
I used to have a DCG whose name was Logan but they spelled it Loghan b/c apparently the H made it more feminine!
countrymom 05:19 PM 11-30-2010
my ydd, her name is alex (alexandrea) but everyone calls her alex, the problem we have is that, she seems to always be invited to boy birthday parties, so then I have to call and explain that she is a girl (who sometimes acts like a boy--thats what happens when your the 4th kid) m
my sisters niece, her name is jersey and my ydd has a friend named bronte (bron-tee) and its a girl
Momof2Boys 05:35 PM 11-30-2010
Annaliese - pronounced Anna-Lease. It might be more common than I know, but I've heard it before.
Live and Learn 05:43 PM 11-30-2010
I also know a Cedar.
laundrymom 05:47 PM 11-30-2010
I have Rowan, quinten, ayden, rylee, Wyatt, Sophie , Josie, skylar, mikayla and makayla. Chioma, adeola, obikenzie, Seyi, Zane, chichi, Arden ( boy) , my nephew is Zion,
juliebug 06:13 PM 11-30-2010
azlyn was my most unusal.
daysofelijah 06:19 PM 11-30-2010
I've had two little girls named after football players Randy (Randy Moss), and Peyton (Manning). I have a Kayce (Casey). Otherwise nothing too outlandish that I can recall.
Bizzymom1111 06:39 PM 11-30-2010
My most unusaul names have been Rainah(girl), Brannan(boy), and Keaton(boy). Nothing too out there!
QualiTcare 07:07 PM 11-30-2010
this isn't from personal experience, but a couple/few months ago someone was telling me these people (obvious drug users) named their baby Cocaine!

there should be laws against stuff like that, but apparently there isn't.
marniewon 08:19 PM 11-30-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have Rowan, quinten, ayden, rylee, Wyatt, Sophie , Josie, skylar, mikayla and makayla. Chioma, adeola, obikenzie, Seyi, Zane, chichi, Arden ( boy) , my nephew is Zion,
Oh my gosh....talk about putting letters together! LOL!

I have a Cole, Preston, Jake, Alex and AJ. Last fall I also interviewed with a Kale. Kale? Isn't that a veggie? lol And what makes it even funnier, is Cole and Kale are the same age. Can you imagine chasing after the 2 of them?
melskids 03:00 AM 12-01-2010
my hubby was DETERMINED to name our son tucker. but i was afraid he would be teased and someone would put a "F" in front of it. so we settled on Tyler.

i have a preggo mom right now who will be naming her baby Cylis. (boy)
SunflowerMama 04:38 AM 12-01-2010
Does she (your dd) ever complain? Mine LOVES her name! She says it makes her unique. Her BF says when they get engaged he is worried ppl will think he is marrying a boy when they read the anouncement! LOL!! I love gender neutral names too! I have never heard of anyone else who has a girl named Ryan so I think it is neat! Well, I know Holli Robinson-Peete has twins named Rodney (boy) and Ryan (girl). I also have a friend from High School who has three girls named Randi, Mychal and Tyler.
She's only 4 now so we'll see how she loves it in the future but her personality matches it perfectly IMO. She's very outgoing, always the jokester and even though she's about 10lbs lighter and a few inches shorter than her twin sister, she's the little protector. So I think she'll be quick to correct people growing up that tell her it's a boy's name.

I forgot I also have a Charlie and Logan in care (both girls).
SilverSabre25 05:35 AM 12-01-2010
Nothing out there, but for a long time (months) I had:
Eliza
Ella
Elliot
Ellie
my own Olivia (not that different sounding)
and when my sister would drop off her dd,
Eliana

AUGH!!! Talk about brain hurting! Now everyone but Ella has moved on. None of the rest are El***x, which I'm happy about!
AnythingsPossible 07:02 AM 12-01-2010
I have Korbin, Kenna, Kaylee, Kira, Kaylor and Kasen, Awndrell, Darian, Zuli (3 brothers), Holden, Lyla, Matthew. The K's really throw me at times. One of them has been on maternity leave wth mom and they came for a visit the other day and our new little girl wanted to know her name. I truly had to concentrate and run through the K names to get the right one!
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
this isn't from personal experience, but a couple/few months ago someone was telling me these people (obvious drug users) named their baby Cocaine!

there should be laws against stuff like that, but apparently there isn't.
That is a horible name!!! I have a DCM in care who is from Czechoslovakia and her dd name is Julie and her middle name is Julie. I got to talking unusual names for kids with her and she said "You can just name your children anythng you want here (U.S.)?" I said , "Yes, why can't you?" and she told me no. In Czech the government has to approve your name choice. She said she had to prove to the government that Jamie was a girls name because in their country it was listed only on the boys name list. I thought that was so weird. Imagine having to have the government approve our name choices!?!? Of course, for dumba**es like the ones who picked Cocaine for a name should have to have it approved.
MarinaVanessa 08:08 AM 12-01-2010
Of course, for dumba**es like the ones who picked Cocaine for a name should have to have it approved.
Oh I just thought about how I know a man named Jose Cuervo. I found out because I asked him why his nickname was Crow (which is english for cuervo) and he told me what his full name was. All I could say was Oh. He laughed and just said "Now you know why I don't tell people my real name". How much you want to bet that his parents were drinkers?
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 12-01-2010
Well these aren't daycare kids but I know a guy named Richard Spotts.....he goes by Dick!?!? I am totally serious. I also graduated with a girl named Rosalie Palmer...She went by Rosie... I might as well share my oddness as well....my middle name is Elvira and I was born on Halloween!!?! Thanks mom!! It is actually my grandmothers name and she died on the day before I was born. I am the oldest granddaughter so that is why I have her name....I doubt my parents knew anything about Elvira the queen of Halloween....but I heard about it my whole life while growing up......

I also have a friend who had a dcg named Felony (????)
melskids 08:47 AM 12-01-2010
Well these aren't daycare kids but I know a guy named Richard Spotts.....he goes by Dick!?!? I am totally serious. I also graduated with a girl named Rosalie Palmer...She went by Rosie... I might as well share my oddness as well....my middle name is Elvira and I was born on Halloween!!?! Thanks mom!! It is actually my grandmothers name and she died on the day before I was born. I am the oldest granddaughter so that is why I have her name....I doubt my parents knew anything about Elvira the queen of Halloween....but I heard about it my whole life while growing up......

I also have a friend who had a dcg named Felony (????)
thats nothing...lol we have a guy in town who owns his own construction company, his name is Richard Head, and yes, they call him dick.

my 7th grade science teacher's name was Harry Weinerman

i'm seriously not kidding. what are some people thinking!!!LOL
laundrymom 08:55 AM 12-01-2010
now they werent daycare but my highschool best friend worked in NC in the public aid office,...,.. lemonjello and orangejello....yes,.. mom was loopy after delivery and named them after the lunch menu. pronounced lamonjelo and oronjelo

my daughter in 17 she had a sub last year who was calling roll,.. she kept saying " la-sha" pronouncing la shay.... noone answered,.. my daughter was sitting closest to the teacher and went to help,.. she said,....
thats LA DASH Ah and a girl said,.. "here".
so here in indiana La-Sha sounds different than it looks.
bgmeyers 08:58 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
Well I have a Kieron....but hes my own.... it pronouced Kirun!! just spelled differently.... Cloud is diffenetly out there... but the drugs must of been good..
I have a 23 yo nephew named Kieran. I love that name. My 40 yo cousin is named Mary Kieran.
Unregistered 09:07 AM 12-01-2010
New to forum, so I will register soon! Just had to post on this one. My daughter's name is Maysen, she was named after her grandfather (Mason) Boy or Girl thats what is was going to be. We thought it was more feminine like this, and we def. have never heard this one for a girl before!
booroo 11:45 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
I have a 23 yo nephew named Kieran. I love that name. My 40 yo cousin is named Mary Kieran.
WOW... that interesting..

these are not daycare kids... but some friends of mine from college hat twins... twin boys.. and the names are odd... its just not right...

their names are Curt and Rod.... so when they are announced you here these are my twins curtain rod!!! yeah its that bad!!
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
thats nothing...lol we have a guy in town who owns his own construction company, his name is Richard Head, and yes, they call him dick.

my 7th grade science teacher's name was Harry Weinerman

i'm seriously not kidding. what are some people thinking!!!LOL

booroo 12:22 PM 12-01-2010
now they werent daycare but my highschool best friend worked in NC in the public aid office,...,.. lemonjello and orangejello....yes,.. mom was loopy after delivery and named them after the lunch menu. pronounced lamonjelo and oronjelo

my daughter in 17 she had a sub last year who was calling roll,.. she kept saying " la-sha" pronouncing la shay.... noone answered,.. my daughter was sitting closest to the teacher and went to help,.. she said,....
thats LA DASH Ah and a girl said,.. "here".
so here in indiana La-Sha sounds different than it looks.

Oh those poor children!!! and has for the D*Ck Head construction company..... I wonder how he treats customes... I mean.. does the name fit!!
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 12-01-2010
[quote=booroo;60979

their names are Curt and Rod.... so when they are announced you here these are my twins curtain rod!!! yeah its that bad!![/QUOTE]

That is funny!!!! Did you hear the one about the parents who named their son Drew William Peacock without thinking that his whole name is okay but when he has to write just the first and last name it wouldn't sound so great.....

Oh, I can't believe I forgot this one but I had a way long ago daycare family who had an 8yr old boy named Gideon Stryke, a 5 yr old boy named Sawyer Echo and a 4 yr old girl named Anja Mataya. I think the parents were long lost flower-children.....

This thread has definitely made me think twice about what some people are thinkin! I love all the unusual names though.... Although I have to say I have also had my share of really young moms who have chosen very original names such as Matthew and Thomas and Peter and even a Brian. Sometimes nice to know that normal names are still out there.
Live and Learn 01:16 PM 12-01-2010
My hubby grew up with a guy named Harry Pitts.
JJPlaycare 06:51 AM 12-02-2010
My brother graduated from HS with a boy named Ben Eaten! Doesn't sound to horrible, but when he was trying out for sports and such the coach would wander around and say "Whose Ben Eaten!" LOL

My flower girls name was Calypsa, had to grow on us, but I love her name and it really fits her! We called her Kipsy for short! : )
newtodaycare22 09:47 AM 12-02-2010
This was a student but not in my daycare....

La-a (pronounced 'La-Dash-a')

I kid you not
DancingQueen 09:53 AM 12-02-2010
I have a Gunnar now but that isn't too unusual but and i've had an Araya (uh-ray-uh) and I've had a Jhase (j-ace) and I've had a Chase
Live and Learn 09:58 AM 12-02-2010
Chase is pretty common around here. My kids go to school with a boy named Chance.
Unregistered 12:12 PM 12-02-2010
Also new and haven't registered yet. I have an Archer, which I haven't heard before. His sister is Emerson, which I have heard before but isn't very common.
Michael 02:20 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Also new and haven't registered yet. I have an Archer, which I haven't heard before. His sister is Emerson, which I have heard before but isn't very common.
We've had a lot of new members sign up today. When you do so your posts will not longer be moderated and you can post freely in our conversations.
JJPlaycare 04:56 AM 12-03-2010
I have enjoyed this post as I am due to have a baby in a little over 2 weeks and my husband and I haven't agreed on a name yet! I guess reading all of these crazy names I know now what not to name the baby, but I did find some interesting ones on here as well!
QualiTcare 05:15 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I have enjoyed this post as I am due to have a baby in a little over 2 weeks and my husband and I haven't agreed on a name yet! I guess reading all of these crazy names I know now what not to name the baby, but I did find some interesting ones on here as well!
i was obsessed with baby names when i was pregnant! i hated when a pregnant person would ask what i was naming mine though cus i was like "you're not stealing my name!" (n my head) and that actually has happened - not exactly the same, but close enough that it was obvious. then there's my cousin who named his daughter my EXACT full name - people have nooo originality!!
laundrymom 10:09 AM 12-03-2010
my husband used to tell people we were naming our son farfegneughen rahchelle Johnson,... they never knew how to react. lol

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i was obsessed with baby names when i was pregnant! i hated when a pregnant person would ask what i was naming mine though cus i was like "you're not stealing my name!" (n my head) and that actually has happened - not exactly the same, but close enough that it was obvious. then there's my cousin who named his daughter my EXACT full name - people have nooo originality!!

booroo 10:45 AM 12-03-2010
MY parents told people they werer naming me Camper Joe, for several reason... 1.) my dad wanted to buy a camper trailor and had the money saved up and then my mom found out she was pregrant... so the money was spent on me.
2.) my dads mom and dad bugged and bugged my parents to name me Louise.... and they neither one like the name, but my dad's parents felt I should be named after grandma....

SO for a long time my parents called me camper joe... I was then born, and it was 1 month before they had a name... So they called me camper joe... my grandma actually fainted the day she come to see in hosptial and dad said that is what they named me.!!
laundrymom 10:47 AM 12-03-2010
I must add our daughters are Hailey and Alissa... =-)

my husband used to tell people we were naming our son farfegneughen rahchelle Johnson,... they never knew how to react. lol

Blackcat31 11:00 AM 12-03-2010
My friend just shared with me her son's best friend in school : Rick O'Shea
(and he is a Jr.)
JJPlaycare 03:21 PM 12-03-2010
My husband is trying to convince me to name the baby Rockstar if it is a boy! He has been telling everyone that this is what we are naming the baby! Hmmm Lovely.....
GretasLittleFriends 07:00 AM 12-05-2010
My SIL works at a pediatric clinic and there was a little boy named Shythead (with an i instead of a y). They were immigrants. They ended up changing the spelling to Shatheede.

My grandpa's name is H. Allen Mann. He goes by Al. I found out when I was 10 or 11 that his first name is Harry and couldn't stop giggling at Harry Mann. My grandma explained that is why he goes by Al.

I have a daughter who thinks her name is weird. It's Maren Elizabeth (pronounced to rhyme with Karen). Son is Erik (normal). When I was pregnant with #3 people would ask about a name. My reply was it is a girl and we are going to name her Chrysanthemum but call her Crissy for short. Her name is Victoria, but she has been nicknamed Tora by the dcks. Tora means tiger in Japanese so I don't mind.

Speaking of weird names, mine is Greta. I always thought that was odd, my parents said they gave my sis and I unique names. Her name was Megan (VERY UNIQUE!!). I guess they didn't realize that every hospital had babies named Megan at the time. My dad's first name is Wyman (so I guess things could have been worse for me.) My older daughter's dad's name is Josiah (but he goes by Joe.) My older daughter had kids in her class when she was younger named Chance and Chaos.
melissa ann 02:26 PM 12-05-2010
My dd has classmates named:
Angus (boy)
Peyton (girl)
Brianna
Sage(girl)
Chase(boy)
Carson(boy)
From our church:
Wyatt
Lillie
melskids 07:00 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
My dd has classmates named:
Angus (boy)
Peyton (girl)
Brianna
Sage(girl)
Chase(boy)
Carson(boy)
From our church:
Wyatt
Lillie
ive always chuckled whenever i hear the name Angus. not because its a cow, but because to me, it sounds like anus. LOL
Live and Learn 08:51 AM 12-06-2010
I know a boy named wolfgang.
Tags:names, names that are funny
Reply Up