Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Latest And Greatest Tips?
Mom2Two 12:12 PM 01-05-2018
What have you done this past year to tweak, fine-tune, or improve your daycare? What have you done that has made your daycare life soooo much better?

Looking for ideas of what I can work on next.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 01-05-2018
So far this year I have:

*updated all forms in each child's file so that ANY and ALL signatures are recent and ALL information is current.

*discarded a ton of stuff that I "thought" would be useful or handy but really isn't and just takes up space. (craft supplies, books, toys etc)

*cleaned out my cupboards and storage areas at daycare (if its been stored for more than 6 months and isn't seasonally...it HAD to go)

*signed up for all the trainings I have to complete for various reasons (class/course dates are all within the next 6 months)

Since winter time here is alot of indoor time, I try hard to do all my organizing and Spring cleaning in the beginning of the year.
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 01-05-2018
1. Reviewed parent conference notes to pinpoint the biggest points of contention, then eliminated them.
2. Reviewed my rates and hours from attendance records.
3. Identified what is making cleaning the playroom take twice as long as previous years, eliminated what I could.

Mom2Two 03:16 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So far this year I have:

*updated all forms in each child's file so that ANY and ALL signatures are recent and ALL information is current. I need to add that one to the list. I am embarrassed to think how out of date my records are--not the health form but the rest of it.

*discarded a ton of stuff that I "thought" would be useful or handy but really isn't and just takes up space. (craft supplies, books, toys etc) Been working on that one and it feels GREAT!!!

*cleaned out my cupboards and storage areas at daycare (if its been stored for more than 6 months and isn't seasonally...it HAD to go) Six months...you are seriously ruthless, lol.

*signed up for all the trainings I have to complete for various reasons (class/course dates are all within the next 6 months) Yep, I'll move along with my carecourse.

Since winter time here is alot of indoor time, I try hard to do all my organizing and Spring cleaning in the beginning of the year. More awesomeness. Now I feel tired. lol
Thanks!
Mom2Two 03:19 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
1. Reviewed parent conference notes to pinpoint the biggest points of contention, then eliminated them. I'll have to work up to this one.
  • Two week unpaid vacation, gone.
  • Choice of paid support/home engagement curriculum, gone.
  • Choice of included infant formula brand, gone. Yeah,
    I quit that one too.

2. Reviewed my rates and hours from attendance records.
  • Raised rates
  • Lowered hours. Did that one. I love daycare so much more now.

3. Identified what is making cleaning the playroom take twice as long as previous years, eliminated what I could.
  • Fabric soft seating and pillows are out of here.
  • Removed tape around rugs, replaced with velcro strips under rugs.
  • If it can't go in the washing machine, dishwasher or bathtub soak it is gone. Barring wooden toys.
  • Wooden toys are limited, rotated daily and only out in the mornings
Yep, simplifying can be so good.
:-)
Josiegirl 03:19 PM 01-05-2018
I've stopped striving to be the best I can be at this. I want to be good enough and avoid all that extra stress just so I can be fun for the dcks again. Stopped trying to live up to everybody else's standards and ways of doing things. Have decided not to renew Stars next time it comes due.
Mom2Two 03:22 PM 01-05-2018
Mine this past year have been:

Switching to all vegies for lunch instead of fruit or fruit/vegies and chopping them the night before, ready to go.

Decluttering. It's AWESOME! I've given away a bunch of stuff that hardly ever gets used or is very breakable, and I got some new, better stuff like Magformers that the kids really like.

Prepping a lot the night before. When I used to read about providers that prepped the night before, I thought that it sounded awful, but really it helps me enjoy my days so much more. I make bleach spray, prep some of the food, prep back-up waters, prep toddler's breakfast, do kidkare every day, and a few other things.
storybookending 10:16 PM 01-05-2018
I termed my problem family in early January and it was such a great atmosphere change for the daycare as a whole. This in turn shortened my hours working which was great. I can now honestly say I love all of my children and am truly blessed with a great group of families which I’ve found is hard to come by from some posts on here and talking with a few local providers.

Not really a tip but I kept better records this year and plan on an even better 2018. I stayed up to date on entering receipts rather than rushing and trying to get it all organized in January before tax time. I’m still an “on paper” kind of person so I hand write everything and since my writing is atrocious I then type everything up all nice and neat.

I revamped my contract to where I want (and deserve) to be. Including giving myself some paid vacation time.
HappyEverAfter 06:25 PM 01-08-2018
I’ve started premeasuring formula for my infants so that when feeding times roll around all I have to do is dump the formula into the bottle and shake it. I have 3 currently using formula and always hated trying to hold a crying baby and measure out scoops of formula at the same time. I have no idea why I never did this before. It saves so much frustration!

I’m keeping better records and had all parents update the dck files.
Unregistered 09:25 AM 01-19-2018
This year I have been locking my front door at pick up so the parent can’t enter my home, and hand the child and her belongings to the parent at the door. This has been great! The child can’t run around my home or be disrespectful to me at pick up. I close the door and watch the parent bribe, wrangle and chase the child down the street. Not my problem anymore!
KSDC 10:20 AM 01-19-2018
I made a monthly meal schedule for my lunches and for my family's evening meals. I know what I am serving every week and can shop towards that plan. I always thought I would hate that kind of planning. But, oh my goodness, it has made a world of difference.
LostMyMarbles 09:31 AM 01-26-2018
I termed a family who I barely have in care and had to fight over payment. (Guess I won the last battle)

Organized my cirrculum.

I am making plans to put an egress window in downstairs and redo a large room for my preschool room.

Working on being less of a sucker.
Unregistered 06:42 PM 01-28-2018
I added one more paid holiday

Removed a lot of items from the main room

Purchased a 6 seat stroller

Getting some home improvement projects done (getting a digital sprinkler machine, repairing some sprinkler heads, and adfing 1-2 more; shutters for curb appeal for my home, and adding in extra outlets in places that I need more of them.

Actually using my vacation time this year to take 2-3 mini vacations (at 1/2 pay) some with our kids and other without

Making simpler meals so that my days aren't so stressful. Making smoothies once a week for breakfast for the kids

Being more intentional with my $$
Tags:tips, tips for providers
Reply Up