Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Damn it... (a Vent)
SilverSabre25 04:27 PM 09-08-2010
Everytime things are starting to go smoothly and things are looking up (read: my daycare spots are mostly filled) someone turns around and drops a bombshell on me. I have only 4 daycare kids right now, all of them part-time, and my only 4-day/week kid's mom told me tonight that they are dropping down to only 1 day/week. I told her fine, but that will only work until/unless I get someone who needs that spot. She was totally cool with that, and has agreed to pay me in full for next week, so that's something at least.

Damn it. I *need* that money! I'm seriously thinking of trying to find another job...one that will be at least a guaranteed income. I love what I"m doing but I can' get spots filled for some reason. I really don't want to find another job. I don't want to put my own daughter in daycare. I want to do what I'm doing but we need my income to live on.

I don't know what to do. I'm seriously crying here. This sucks.
momma2girls 04:33 PM 09-08-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Everytime things are starting to go smoothly and things are looking up (read: my daycare spots are mostly filled) someone turns around and drops a bombshell on me. I have only 4 daycare kids right now, all of them part-time, and my only 4-day/week kid's mom told me tonight that they are dropping down to only 1 day/week. I told her fine, but that will only work until/unless I get someone who needs that spot. She was totally cool with that, and has agreed to pay me in full for next week, so that's something at least.

Damn it. I *need* that money! I'm seriously thinking of trying to find another job...one that will be at least a guaranteed income. I love what I"m doing but I can' get spots filled for some reason. I really don't want to find another job. I don't want to put my own daughter in daycare. I want to do what I'm doing but we need my income to live on.

I don't know what to do. I'm seriously crying here. This sucks.
I feel for you!!! It's very hard here to find children, other than newborns!! I have had a 2 yr. and over spot open now for 2 yrs. Can you believe that? I have received a huge waiting list for infants and toddlers, but you can only have so many in my book under the age of 2- I think with the economy the way it is- alot getting laid off, etc. is really hurting us as great daycare providers. Where I live moms are quitting or getting laid off, or can't afford one, or two children in daycare, so they quit and start up a daycare of their own, to make ends meet. I have been doing it for over 7 yrs. and these past 2 yrs. have been the ultimate trying to find older children. I have a huge waiting list for infants, not born, and toddlers under the age of 2!! Good luck!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:40 PM 09-08-2010
I hear you! I was the same way for years,.. now Im a paths to Quality provider and it has helped greatly.
Abigail 04:42 PM 09-08-2010
How are you advertising? Are you in a good location? What are your rates? I'm sure we could give you ideas to help you fill a few spots. I know it's tough to try to interview and keep a good attitude, but sometimes we all need a good cry.
tmcp2001 04:52 PM 09-08-2010
Ugh. I'm sorry, that does suck.

What are you doing for advertising right now?
choirlady76 05:03 PM 09-08-2010
Am sorry to hear about the drop in attendance for your daycare kids.. I hope something comes up soon!

Have you ever considered looking into working at a daycare center? there are several in my area that are 24/7 ones and maybe you could pick up some extra hours in the evening or on weekends, when you're not tending to your own daycare center, since you have alot of background in childcare, I don't know if you have a degree (actually I"m not even sure what all the qualifications are for working at daycares, am still learning all of this myself), but certainly your experience will be of great benefit! Just a thought and keep us updated!
choirlady76 05:06 PM 09-08-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I hear you! I was the same way for years,.. now Im a paths to Quality provider and it has helped greatly.
Hi, what is paths to quality provider?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 05:25 PM 09-08-2010
its not everywhere,.... google paths to quality childcare
tenderhearts 07:39 PM 09-08-2010
I'm sorry you're having difficulties, but hang in there. I know your feelings of needing that money. I have never had trouble filling my spots and thank goodness I stayed full during this recession UNTIL May, we actually were planning a trip to Disneyland and I knew at the end of summer I was losing to kids going to kinder, but I hoped I'd fill the spots and I was fine until then, but when I was about to hit that last button to book our trip, something told me no just wait, you wouldn't believe it, that day 2 of my clients gave me notice, both lost their jobs, then one that I was losing at end of summer she cut back because her job cut her days, then after a month she was laid off, so I had all these openings, stressing BIG time. Advertised like crazy on craigslist. Offered a special for full time: $25 off first 2 weeks and enrollment fee waived. I am now full, filled every spot. I did have to take 2 infants which has me stressed some but infants are my most calls. So hang in there is will come. Offer a special or maybe a current client if they refer someone to you they get $25 gift card or something like that as an incentive. Good luck....
tenderhearts 07:43 PM 09-08-2010
Oh I also wanted to add that I put on my facebook page a link to my website, and put on there if anyone knew of anyone looking, and I did get a few calls from people who's friends told them about me. So that's another good way too.
momma2girls 12:11 PM 09-09-2010
I give a sign on bonus and a referrel bonus, but even this doesn't even bring in new children. I have started this about a yrs. ago, to maybe receive some great parents, but no avail so far!!! I receive tons of newborns and infant calls and emails!!
SilverSabre25 12:34 PM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
How are you advertising? Are you in a good location? What are your rates? I'm sure we could give you ideas to help you fill a few spots. I know it's tough to try to interview and keep a good attitude, but sometimes we all need a good cry.
I advertise primarily through Craigslist, since it's free. I really don't want to spend anything on advertising right now because we really don't have much money. I"ve been thinking about putting up flyers at the area rec centers, libraries, and second-hand children's stores but haven't done it yet. My location is so-so--good transportation but a little bit off the beaten path. We are near to some very well-off areas but also close to some very not-so-well-off areas. My rates are also higher than the average because I feel that I"m offering something most of the area home daycares aren't since I have a college degree that's in the field (Early Childhood Development and Education, with almost enough training to get my teaching license)--and based on what I see on Craigslist, half of the people trying to do home daycare are, well, to put it nicely, not that well educated. I've been thinking about dropping those though and trying to do a real preschool curriculum.

I think most of the problem is saturation--there are TONS of home daycare ads in my area of Craigslist.
SilverSabre25 12:35 PM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
Am sorry to hear about the drop in attendance for your daycare kids.. I hope something comes up soon!

Have you ever considered looking into working at a daycare center? there are several in my area that are 24/7 ones and maybe you could pick up some extra hours in the evening or on weekends, when you're not tending to your own daycare center, since you have alot of background in childcare, I don't know if you have a degree (actually I"m not even sure what all the qualifications are for working at daycares, am still learning all of this myself), but certainly your experience will be of great benefit! Just a thought and keep us updated!
I am thinking of it now! I'd really rather not, because half of the reason I'm doing home daycare is to avoid having to put half or more of my own check towards child care. Plus, transportation might be tricky 'cause we have only one car and my husband works weird shifts. But, it's definitely on my mind atm.
missnikki 12:38 PM 09-09-2010
There are some great threads on this forum about suggestions for advertising. Do a search with the tab up there ^... so many great ideas! Some require very little $$ but a bit of effort, hang in there.
Michael 01:33 PM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
There are some great threads on this forum about suggestions for advertising. Do a search with the tab up there ^... so many great ideas! Some require very little $$ but a bit of effort, hang in there.
Or click on the ""advertising" TAG on the bottom left. Here is the link from it: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=advertising
kendallina 01:48 PM 09-09-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I advertise primarily through Craigslist, since it's free. I really don't want to spend anything on advertising right now because we really don't have much money. I"ve been thinking about putting up flyers at the area rec centers, libraries, and second-hand children's stores but haven't done it yet. My location is so-so--good transportation but a little bit off the beaten path. We are near to some very well-off areas but also close to some very not-so-well-off areas. My rates are also higher than the average because I feel that I"m offering something most of the area home daycares aren't since I have a college degree that's in the field (Early Childhood Development and Education, with almost enough training to get my teaching license)--and based on what I see on Craigslist, half of the people trying to do home daycare are, well, to put it nicely, not that well educated. I've been thinking about dropping those though and trying to do a real preschool curriculum.

I think most of the problem is saturation--there are TONS of home daycare ads in my area of Craigslist.
With your degree and experience have you considered running a preschool a few days/week. I do 3/hrs day MW and TTh. I advertise that I take 2-year olds and they don't have to be potty trained and most of my families have just had another little baby and they need their 2/3 year old out of the house for a few hours a week.

Another idea might be to run a special "mom's day out", where parents sign up to come every Tues for example from 9-11 or whatever and they pay a flat fee. I think there are a few providers that do that on here, maybe they can give more info. Because your area is saturated, you may need to find a niche, whether it's preschool or mom's days out (or evenings out).

It can be tough, but think creatively, it can happen! When I worked as a director at a center, my supervisor had me block out times of every day that we were low in attendance and think about how I could get children there for that time...we ran special summer camp programs, after- school enrichment programs, homework programs, anything to fill those time slots.

Good luck!
casg415 01:49 PM 09-09-2010
as a newbie, i'm guessing lots of it has to do with your location and the current financial situation or your town, city. if you're located in a city where unemployment is vast then your drop in enrollment will be effected. maybe a better way to go is just accept infants until the situation gets better? it's more work and more poop to clean but at least it's pays the bills. does having a degree matter when teaching toddlers? i understand it helps and it looks better, but the kids are essentially learning very basic skills that any grown adult should be able to teach. i think what's more important is being able to communicate, be patient, and to provide fun loving environment for the kids. as adults we should be able to adjust to the child's condition and we can easily do this by observation.

i have the same concern even though my location is in San Francisco. though child care centers are big in the financial district, i'm not too sure if people outside big salaries can afford to send their kids to a $900 (w/food) home child care. my friend that works for one of the centers downtown said they charge about $2k (it used to be $1,200) per kid. even tho i'm charging less than 50% from the centers, if i can't find kids to enroll then it defeats the whole purpose of operating a business.
TGT09 02:04 PM 09-09-2010
I'm in Ohio as well and feel the exact way about everything. I've been searching for another toddler for the past year and all that's come up is newborns. We HAVE to have my income and I'm torn between loving the freedom of this job and having to go get a job with a steady income that I don't love so much. :-( Good luck!
Tags:advertising, vent
Reply Up