Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Wording Please!
WImom 01:04 PM 08-01-2011
I have a parent that is on my waiting list - son turns 2 end of September. Back in May they interviewed and afterwards really want her son to come early since they loved my childcare so much (I only care for 2-5y). They ended up moving him from his current care quickly for reasons they didn't know were bad until interviewing with me. So they moved him in May to another daycare because I didn't have a full time spot once they decided. I just got an email from her wondering if he can start with me end of August if I have openings.

(1) I don't like that he's getting moved around alot. I want long term kids.
(2) I really don't want kid 'just' turning two right now. (Everyone else is 3-4 years or will be turning 3y soon. I was hopping to fill my last spot with another child that is older 2 or 3-4 since I have lots of preschool stuff planned this school year with this age group.
(3) I was on the fence with them back in May but chalked it up to his age

I really don't think he's going to be a good fit with my current group. I also have a set of 3y old twins that take up ALOT of my time right now. They are getting better but it's going to be a few months of really working with them and I don't want to over extend myself with a just turned two year old.

So how can I nicely word this to the mom??? Help please, I'm so bad with wording.
wdmmom 01:32 PM 08-01-2011
Are you currently advertising?

How does this mom know that you have openings?

If you really aren't advertising and have a great group, I would send this:

"Thank you very much for your interest in (Name of Daycare). It was a pleasure to meet with you a few months ago. After much deliberation, I have decided to keep the small group I have and not add to it until the children age out.

Thanks again for your interest and best of luck on your daycare search."

If you are advertising for openings, I would send this:

"Thank you for your interest in (Name of Daycare). After much deliberation, I don't think I would be a good candidate for your families needs. It was a pleasure to meet with you. Thanks again."
WImom 01:47 PM 08-01-2011
yes, I am advertising for one opening (I have one going off to school). I'm going to be VERY picky with this opening though because of the above.
Blackcat31 02:52 PM 08-01-2011
Why not just tell this mom the current opening you have would just not be a good fit for her child right now since you are looking to fill it with an older child.

Tell her when you have an opening for a child that is the age of her child then you will let her know.

I make no excuses as to why I prefer kids of a certain age and whether a specific child will be a good fit now or in the future. The dynamics of a group is very important and I think if you can accommodate the needs of the group as a priority over an individual's needs it is best.
MarinaVanessa 02:54 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

"Thank you for your interest in (Name of Daycare). After much deliberation, I don't think I would be a good candidate for your families needs. It was a pleasure to meet with you. Thanks again."
Yes this, or something along the lines of:

"I am sorry to inform you that at the moment I am unable to meet your child's needs however I thank you tremendously for your interest and will definetely keep you in mind should an opening present itself in the furure."
Auntie 06:36 PM 08-01-2011
You could say, the opening I have at this time is for a 3 year old or 4 year old child. As soon as a 2 yr old opening becomes available you are first on my list.

by that time he will be an older 2 or probably 3
WImom 06:46 PM 08-01-2011
Thanks everyone.
daycare 08:46 PM 08-01-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
You could say, the opening I have at this time is for a 3 year old or 4 year old child. As soon as a 2 yr old opening becomes available you are first on my list.

by that time he will be an older 2 or probably 3
I second this.
My program sounds like yours and I'm always getting people who want care for 20 months or younger.
I tell them the above..
Tags:advertising, spot - bad fit
Reply Up