Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Insurance

Daycare Insurance Discuss your insurance and liability concerns here.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Jen

Default Insurance

Here in CA I either have to get insurance coverage or disclose to parents that I am not covered. Now I don't want a parents suing me over little jr scarping his knee or anything so I am looking at insurances. Does anyone know of any good ones particularly pertaining to small family daycare?

I've tried getting quotes for some but the few I looked at had a minimum you had to pay no matter how many children were covered. Since I would not have any more then 6 children it seems silly that I would have to pay a minimum that would be three times the amount the itemized list showed me for 6pt and 6ft children.

Of course I don't want to skimp on coverage since it always seems that when you are covered nothing happens but if you are not...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjenny View Post
Here in CA I either have to get insurance coverage or disclose to parents that I am not covered. Now I don't want a parents suing me over little jr scarping his knee or anything so I am looking at insurances. Does anyone know of any good ones particularly pertaining to small family daycare?

I've tried getting quotes for some but the few I looked at had a minimum you had to pay no matter how many children were covered. Since I would not have any more then 6 children it seems silly that I would have to pay a minimum that would be three times the amount the itemized list showed me for 6pt and 6ft children.

Of course I don't want to skimp on coverage since it always seems that when you are covered nothing happens but if you are not...
Do you own your home? If so, check with your home owners insurance. I had additional coverage added to my policy and it cost very little.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you own your home? If so, check with your home owners insurance. I had additional coverage added to my policy and it cost very little.
THIS. I have pretty good liability through my homeowner's insurance. If yours doesn't offer it, it might be time for a change in insurance companies, because a lot of them DO offer it. There is sometimes a limit on the number of children, or you might have to be licensed or certified. It's worth checking into.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

As the others said, many home owners policies allow you to add a daycare rider to your policy for very little money. I have American Family and they covered up to 6 children with $300,000 coverage. However, I moved to a group license and I can have up to 10 kids so they went through a broker to add a business liability policy which costs me $500 per year for $1 million policy.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Jen

I don't own my home and the hubby and are are looking for a bigger place since our lease is up soon. Would renters insurance have something like that then?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjenny View Post
I don't own my home and the hubby and are are looking for a bigger place since our lease is up soon. Would renters insurance have something like that then?
You could try here. http://acainc.org/insurance_family.html

They are very reasonable as far as pricing goes.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 PM

http://www3.thomcoins.com/afds.cfm
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Be careful when asking your home owners insurance about the daycare. I got myself in trouble now because I asked them and they said they don't cover it and they are going to call back before it renews and if we are running a daycare out of our home we may get dropped.

I have AMICA.. it is very good, but that kinda sucks.

Is there anyway to find a rating system for daycare insurance? I want to see if any of the companies listed here are actually reputable.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Family Childcare Home

I have state farm insurance and I also get my insurance as a rider in addition to my homeowners. They may even be able to offer additional DC care insurance even if you are not already a customer.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaborStyle View Post
Be careful when asking your home owners insurance about the daycare. I got myself in trouble now because I asked them and they said they don't cover it and they are going to call back before it renews and if we are running a daycare out of our home we may get dropped.
Is this true with them even if you obtain a liability insurance policy elsewhere? That really sucks.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

all-state will write you a liability insurance plan if you have renters or home owners insurance.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
all-state will write you a liability insurance plan if you have renters or home owners insurance.
It might depend where you are, but in CT All-state told me they only cover 3 kids.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I find that to be very true that things differ by state.

I am in the same state as OP
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have DCI insurance which is strictly for home child care providers and is based on the number of children in care. I find it to be very reasonable but wonderful coverage. I work through fax but my phone calls actually go to California. I believe they have a website as well and they allow you to set up your own payment plan. Hope this helps!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Same thing happened to me. I was shopping around for new home insurance and as soon as I mentioned day care, the quote quadrupled!! I opted for a separate liability policy with Adults and Child Alliance. I think it was $300 for the year for up to 6 children with $1M/$3M coverage. According to their literature, they are rated A++.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaborStyle View Post

I have AMICA.. it is very good, but that kinda sucks.

Is there anyway to find a rating system for daycare insurance? I want to see if any of the companies listed here are actually reputable.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshimoshi View Post
same thing happened to me. I was shopping around for new home insurance and as soon as i mentioned day care, the quote quadrupled!! I opted for a separate liability policy with adults and child alliance. I think it was $300 for the year for up to 6 children with $1m/$3m coverage. According to their literature, they are rated a++.
wow! Killer price!

Tags
insurance