Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensor being unreasonable?
valuedkids 06:59 PM 11-28-2012
Ok, so here is the situation... Its not actually mine but a friend I am quite concerned about.

License is for 12 months to 6 years. She has a new baby who is a couple of months old now. She is the OWNER, not the director, nor ever in child to staff ratios... She has an office that is at the back of the building away from child areas and she wants to bring her baby into the office to nurse/ be with her while she pays bills etc... Her licensor told her that her daughter cannot be in the building and not even on the site. INCLUDING outside... this seems VERY unreasonable to me. I know she is not licensed for babies, but this is her own baby and she is only in her office short hours as right now she is on mommy leave basically.

Any input????
We are in Washington by the way...
Tina
Lucy 07:06 PM 11-28-2012
Licensing isn't there on a daily basis, so they can't be assured that the mom doesn't have one of the teachers watch the baby "just for a few minutes" while she goes to the bathroom or something. I know that's a stretch, but they're not going to make exceptions on a well-established rule like that. It sucks, but it's reality. The baby can't be on the grounds period. It opens up the potential of being over ratio and/or non-compliant due to the baby being under age 1.
cheerfuldom 06:36 AM 11-29-2012
It is very common that any child on the premises is counted in the daycare ratio, even relatives of the workers. I would look up the state laws but after that, there is nothing your friend can do about this but work from home or find a sitter.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 11-29-2012
Alot of states count the providers own children in the licensing capacity ratios.

Just because she isn't licensed for babies and still has her there doesn't excuse the fact that another child is on site.

If you are concerned about whether the licensor is just giving your friend unnecessary grief, then ask her for proof of the rule in your state's regulations.

Sometimes things are misinterpreted and other times, things are rules whether they make sense or not.

Best to check just to be sure but right now, I would not bring my DD with to the office so that there isn't a citation given.
seebachers 07:04 AM 11-29-2012
licensor is right on the money and in no way being unreasonable.
valuedkids 07:37 AM 11-29-2012
This is a childcare center, not an in home childcare. I guess she will have to deal with the situation, but it seems still off to me that she cannot have her baby in the office with her while doing paperwork for an hour or so at a time. Anyway, I will pass the word along. Thanks for your input!
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 11-29-2012
Washington state license requirements state:

170-295-0080
(1) Maximum allowable capacity of your center is determined based on useable square footage and available toilets and sinks. The licensed capacity (the number of children you are allowed to have in your center at any one time) may be less than the maximum capacity, but not exceed it. The licensed capacity is based on our evaluation of the program, the ages and characteristics of the children, the experience of the staff, and usable floor space.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.a...-295&full=true

Which I take to mean the agency that licensed the owner DOES have the authority to determine how many children can and can't be present on the property at any given time.
Reply Up