Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meal Time Question
momneedscoffee 11:41 AM 07-02-2015
So at meal times, do you make all the kids stay at the table until everyone is done eating, or do you let them leave once they have finished? I have a slow eater and a fast eater, once the fast eater leaves the table, washes up, and starts to play, the slow eater wants to get up too and ends up not eating much of his meal. Looking for a solution!
Thriftylady 12:03 PM 07-02-2015
I have them stay at the table. But only if the slow eater isn't taking an hour. I guess I would have the fast eater stay at the table for a bit and maybe have conversation or something.
Controlled Chaos 12:07 PM 07-02-2015
I have 8 children between 15m and 5yo. I excuse them one at a time to clear their spots, then I change them or help them potty, wash their hands. Then, they can go play. No one is excused until at least one child has legitimately finished eating, that way they don't race to go back to the toys. Everyone sits at least 10min.
AmyKidsCo 12:56 PM 07-02-2015
I let them go when they're done. I figure the slow eater will figure out how to eat faster, decide to sit longer to eat more, or be hungry. In any case they'll all be sitting down to eat in a couple of hours again anyway, so the slow eaters aren't going to starve.
e.j. 01:56 PM 07-02-2015
I let the kids get up once they're finished. Right now, I actually appreciate the fast eaters who finish early. Without them, one of my super slow eaters would probably still be sitting at the table finishing his lunch at pick-up time!
jenboo 02:11 PM 07-02-2015
When they are finished they can asked to be excused. Then they go read books on the carpet until everyone is done.

In your case, the slow eater would be allowed to get up. It's their belly not mine. If they are hungry later before snack I would remind them that they didn't eat all their lunch. If they want a full belly, they need to eat all their food.

I have noticed that kids are less excited to get to and go read books but they still enjoy doing it.

My group ranged from 12 months to 3 years ago. I had an infant but obviously they didn't eat at the table with everyone
Reply Up