Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Green Cleaning
Josiegirl 10:22 AM 02-07-2014
I attended a workshop last night. I found out every single cleaner I use isn't good.
All the added chemicals and fragrances can cause asthma, cancer, etc., etc. I was hoping she could give us some home made cleaners but no, licensing wouldn't approve.
What do you all use for cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting your daycare? Are you going the green route?
I'll need to use up the rest of what I have, then replace with healthier options. Time to start reading labels more closely.
Shell 10:33 AM 02-07-2014
I use a lot of Lysol and water, which isn't "green" or anything, and I would love to find an alternative. What I do love, and use a lot of is vinegar and water. Great for hardwoods. I am interested in what others have to say.
jenboo 10:42 AM 02-07-2014
I use DoTerra On Guard for my multipurpose cleaner.
I plan on buying Basic G to replace bleach.
I use the honest company floor cleaner to mop with.

Licensing and the health department only care about the bleach/alternatives. As far as i know, I can use any multipurpose cleaner.
childcaremom 10:43 AM 02-07-2014
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap

It's expensive but a large bottle lasts forever. Smells so good, too. I use it for all cleaning. Mopping, cleaning toys, cleaning the bathroom, etc. I also like vinegar and water, too.
MarinaVanessa 10:49 AM 02-07-2014
I use a lot of vinegar in my cleaning/sanitizing. Works great on windows and glass. Baking soda or just soap and water on a lot of the other stuff. I use alcohol on my counter tops (granite) and bleach/water solution to disinfect but that's just because everything else that I've found that disinfects has to be left on for at least 10 minutes before I can wipe it off. I'm not a patient person .
mountainside13 10:57 AM 02-07-2014
I love Better Life cleaning products!!!!
Nebula 03:07 AM 02-10-2014
Simple simple stuff. Does all purpose cleaning from floors to celing, and everything in between. we love it and it is cheap!!

Ingredients
Water
Vinegar
Lemon Juice
Oxyclean

We put 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar in a spray bottle. Then we add probably 1/4 cup lemon juice and a scoop of oxy clean (we get the Walmart generic)

The vinegar cleans and disinfects great, and the lemon juice freshens the air and helps to neutralize the vinegar smell. But it works great for all types of surfaces. Lemon juice also helps clean and removes stickiness.

If we have a bad stain then we mix up a bucket of hot soapy water with a scoop of oxy clean. It really works 10 x better than bleach and no smell!

Bleach got banned from the house, as DH was cleaning countertops one day and used FULL STRENGTH bleach, I swear he used 1/2 a bottle! Anyway I ended up in the ER with an Asthma attack......... so bleach is banned lol.
clivedonnovan7932 07:19 AM 11-05-2015
I'm totally against the usage of those harsh chemical cleaning products that are offered at the market. I have two kids and a dog. Yes, it's a lot of work to clean after them, but I want to protect them, so vinegar, water and salt are my favorite cleaning detergents.

I hope more people will choose the natural or eco-friendly cleaning products so they can reduce the health issues.
Pepperth 04:40 PM 11-05-2015
My very favorite mopping solution is vinegar, dawn dish soap, warm water and baking soda. It doesn't leave any streaks or residue and it cleans really good. (Plus I like the smell of vinegar.)
hope 05:26 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap

It's expensive but a large bottle lasts forever. Smells so good, too. I use it for all cleaning. Mopping, cleaning toys, cleaning the bathroom, etc. I also like vinegar and water, too.
What scent do you prefer?
childcaremom 05:37 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
What scent do you prefer?
I like the peppermint. I've tried the citrus, too, and like it, as well. I use the citrus for the bathroom and the peppermint everywhere else.
Tags:cleaning - thorough, disinfect, disinfectant, disinfectants
Reply Up