Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Date Night
hope 05:47 PM 02-16-2016
In December I had my first daycare "date night". It was a success. The parents loved it. But it was free. It was my personal gift to the parents for the holiday. I really, really have great parents now and am grateful and wanted to give them that one night to themselves. I would like to do another date night, maybe once a month, to make some extra money and to give my parents some time to go out and enjoy themselves. How do I now turn the free date night into a profit night once a month? I only have 3 families. I keep a small group. So I can't send out an email or note home. We talk face to face here and am worried I will seem money hungry if I suggest this idea.
rosieteddy 06:48 AM 02-17-2016
I did that many years ago.I offered Dinner and a movie for the children...Parents paid 25.00 dollars.I provided dinner after the others left ,a movie and they brought pajamas and were ready for bed when parents picked up.Pick up was 8:30.You could write a notice saying"Parent Dinner out.Third Friday of the month ABC DAYCARE will be offering Parents the opportunity to have dinner out....I will give children dinner ,a movie and get them ready for bed . Parents will have from our regular closing time until 8:30 sharp. The cost will be 30.00 per child. Have to sign up and pay by Friday before in cash.No n-refundable .Great time to try a new restaurant without the children. That way you know the week before .You can cook or send out for pizza and parents can plan.
Michael 12:54 PM 02-17-2016
More Date Night threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=date+night
Unregistered 01:37 PM 02-17-2016
Just because you charge doesn't mean you're money hungry. It just means they got a SWEET Christmas gift!
Thriftylady 02:06 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just because you charge doesn't mean you're money hungry. It just means they got a SWEET Christmas gift!
I agree there is no shame in charging for what you make a living doing. Just because you choose to give a gift, doesn't make you greedy, it means they should appreciate the gifts you give.
Controlled Chaos 02:15 PM 02-17-2016
I do it monthly - $25 for 4 hours. I have 8 families. Only 1 doesn't use it. The parents are so grateful for the chance to get out. $25 is a bargain! WAY cheaper than a sitter

I would approach it like this "Mary, I've been thinking, everyone seemed to really enjoy the date night. Would you be interested in a monthly date night for $25 for 3 hours? I know how important date nights are to couples, but I have to make it worth my while." Something like that. Where you are asking if they would be interested in opportunity.
Unregistered 02:26 PM 02-17-2016
My son's provider does it once a month but we never use it because it never aligns with our schedule. We've always had something else going on or someones sick etc! It never occurred to me it was about extra money. I always saw it as a promotional thing to get the business noticed because randoms are also invited- so those people could try the place out. (This was my experience at fcc and center) It's normally $30/child for like 3 hours and with 2 kids, that isn't helpful or a good deal for me at all. I just trade evening childcare with friends for free.
Ariana 03:14 PM 02-17-2016
Just tell them you had so much fun during Christmas you thought you'd start offering it for parents on the regular for a fee if they were interested...then say how hard it can be for parents to find "sitters" that they trust etc. Just turn it into a mini conversation . I would be over the moon if someone I trusted wanted to take my kid for a date night outside of regular hours!
Second Home 03:27 PM 02-17-2016
so here is a question for those that provide date nights .
If you are licensed/registered/ legally exempt do you have to expand your normal business hours with the state?

Here you are lic for daytime , evening or over night . You can choose what you would like . If I had a date night I would have to change my lic to include evening care.
Thriftylady 04:53 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
If you are licensed/registered/ legally exempt do you have to expand your normal business hours with the state?

Here you are lic for daytime , evening or over night . You can choose what you would like . If I had a date night I would have to change my lic to include evening care.
I am legally unlicensed. But even if I was licensed I think I could do it with no issue. When I was in Kansas, I could have done it as long as I didn't go over 18 hours a day of care. But that could have changed since then.
hope 05:43 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree there is no shame in charging for what you make a living doing. Just because you choose to give a gift, doesn't make you greedy, it means they should appreciate the gifts you give.
True. Thanks. I needed to hear that.
hope 05:45 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I do it monthly - $25 for 4 hours. I have 8 families. Only 1 doesn't use it. The parents are so grateful for the chance to get out. $25 is a bargain! WAY cheaper than a sitter

I would approach it like this "Mary, I've been thinking, everyone seemed to really enjoy the date night. Would you be interested in a monthly date night for $25 for 3 hours? I know how important date nights are to couples, but I have to make it worth my while." Something like that. Where you are asking if they would be interested in opportunity.
This seems casual and I do think they would jump on it.
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by hope:
This seems casual and I do think they would jump on it.
I like this approach too. It's more personal between the smaller group. And you aren't obligated to do it if you're merely checking interest levels first. You could also get a feel for when, what times, etc., would be more attractive to your dcfs.
laundrymom 10:46 AM 02-18-2016
I have been thinking about this all day so I texted my licensor. (She's awesome) and asked. In Indiana, you do not need to modify or variance your license if the care outside your licensed hours is no more than three times per month.
Not sure where you are but maybe it's similar?

Originally Posted by Second Home:

Tags:date night
Reply Up