Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Cartoon Educational Wall Art?
BGM 10:56 AM 07-25-2018
I'm trying to decorate my walls a bit more. They're naked!

I am kind of a minimalist. I like to provide the children with a neat, calming environment that gives them the opportunity to imagine freely. We make art to put on the walls, but I think it would be nice to put some educational things up as well.

I would love to put up some counting or alphabet posters, but I'm really not a fan of the cartoon-style ones that I've been finding. Does anyone know of a good place to get some pretty posters of the globe, numbers, letters, etc?

Maybe with pictures of real-life things like flowers or animals? Or maybe something using watercolors or pastels?

Does this exist or am I about to have to pinterest something?
Ariana 10:58 AM 07-25-2018
I frame the kids art and buy “real” art from stores that are colourful and fun.

I do not have one letter or number anywhere
Josiegirl 02:30 PM 07-25-2018
I have a really cool floor puzzle of numbers 1-20 with real life colorful pictures. Why couldn't you put together something like that, glue it together somehow and mount it using a frame of some kind?
Just a thought?
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 07-25-2018
Another idea I've seen in the past is attaching game boards on walls with velcro, then storing games pieces in zip-loc bags. They wouldn't be so much educational, as fun and still accessible.
Rockgirl 02:39 PM 07-25-2018
I used to subscribe to Weekly Reader for the preschool age group. Each issue came with a huge teacher’s edition, and I had lots of them laminated. They are really nice posters—real photographs that correspond to our themes. Maybe something like that?
Annalee 04:08 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I used to subscribe to Weekly Reader for the preschool age group. Each issue came with a huge teacher’s edition, and I had lots of them laminated. They are really nice posters—real photographs that correspond to our themes. Maybe something like that?
I have subscribed to the "lets find out" classroom magazine from scholastic and they are similar with lots of ideas that go with my themes.
Gemma 09:00 AM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by BGM:
I'm trying to decorate my walls a bit more. They're naked!

I am kind of a minimalist. I like to provide the children with a neat, calming environment that gives them the opportunity to imagine freely. We make art to put on the walls, but I think it would be nice to put some educational things up as well.

I would love to put up some counting or alphabet posters, but I'm really not a fan of the cartoon-style ones that I've been finding. Does anyone know of a good place to get some pretty posters of the globe, numbers, letters, etc?

Maybe with pictures of real-life things like flowers or animals? Or maybe something using watercolors or pastels?

Does this exist or am I about to have to pinterest something?
I have a lot of things on my walls, but the one I like best is the "4 seasons tree" I painted a bare tree, then laminated a bunch of cutouts of flowers, different color leaves, animals and snow flakes. I use a couple of rolled up pieces of tape on the back and decorate the tree and close surroundings according to the weather....makes a great educational tool IMHO
BGM 09:10 PM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I have a lot of things on my walls, but the one I like best is the "4 seasons tree" I painted a bare tree, then laminated a bunch of cutouts of flowers, different color leaves, animals and snow flakes. I use a couple of rolled up pieces of tape on the back and decorate the tree and close surroundings according to the weather....makes a great educational tool IMHO
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have subscribed to the "lets find out" classroom magazine from scholastic and they are similar with lots of ideas that go with my themes.
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Another idea I've seen in the past is attaching game boards on walls with velcro, then storing games pieces in zip-loc bags. They wouldn't be so much educational, as fun and still accessible.
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a really cool floor puzzle of numbers 1-20 with real life colorful pictures. Why couldn't you put together something like that, glue it together somehow and mount it using a frame of some kind?
Just a thought?
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Oooh awesome ideas everyone!! Thanks for the tips
LittleScholars 09:01 AM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
This is such a cool idea!!!
jenboo 05:49 PM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Same here
MarinaVanessa 05:58 PM 08-13-2018
Most phones now have great camera's so what about taking your own photos? Like if you have alphabet flashcards, blocks or make letter cutouts you can do your own ABC and 123 photos??

Like one of your own daycare kids holding an apple and the letter A, and B can be another child wearing a bee costume, C can be a picture of your cat (if you have one, or borrow someone else's or even ask a parent to take a photo of their cat next to the letter.

For numbers you can frame number cutouts and have the kids find small items to glue to them in that amount ... 1 rock, 2 buttons etc. ?? And they don't have to be very large. Maybe 5x7's
Pestle 11:07 AM 08-15-2018
Fine art posters. I have several prints with children in them. https://shop.nga.gov/category/5000/p...?category_type[]=Prints

Check Etsy for alphabet posters. There are some great, professional, fancy ones, but you'll have to scroll through a LOT of listings. Because there are over eight thousand of them. I'm not even kidding.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=alphabet%20poster
Lissa Kristine 11:32 AM 08-15-2018
I'm sure some of these have been suggested...

- Frame kid artwork (OR have kids paint on canvas)
-Display classic artwork ("Starry Night" something by Andy Warhol, etc)
-Cheap IKEA prints
-Paint a giant map on the wall (You can use it when talking about vacations or where people are from. Make sure you put a star where you are located)
-The Periodic Table (hahaha)
-A simple tree with sections for the four seasons... but made with handprints (pink handprints for spring, white for winter, green for summer, orange/yellow/red/brown for autumn)
-Silhouettes of children (babies, toddlers, preschoolers) participating in different activities (crawling, walking, reading, etc)
-Frame pages or covers from old picture books that have been ripped or are otherwise in poor condition
BGM 06:41 PM 09-03-2018
Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up going to the thrift store and finding a beautiful book of natural photography from my state. I took the pages out and laminated them. Then I put them around the walls as a sort of "art gallery" at the children's eye level. It looks really cool!!
Tags:educational, posters, wall art, wall decor
Reply Up