Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accepting Credit/Debit Cards
EAP 05:10 AM 03-07-2013
does anyone do this? can you tell me what system you use and the cost?
canadiancare 05:22 AM 03-07-2013
I don't think I would offer childcare on credit.
wahmof3 05:26 AM 03-07-2013
I offer a credit card option using Square.

The service is free, but they charge a 2.75% fee for each use.

Since I offer it as an option I charge the fee to the client.

The card reader plugs into my iPhone.

It does take a couple of days to be deposited into my account.

I have only used it a handful of times. It is a wonderful option to offer.
satcook 05:51 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I don't think I would offer childcare on credit.
WE have a number of parents who pay with credit cards. A lot of them do it for the points and pay the balance in full each month. Some of the cards we run are debit cards so it comes straight out of their account.

Most of the other parents do not tell me whether they pay the bill off or not. They just give me a card and I charge it weekly. It is not my problem if they let a balance accrue on their credit card. I'm just worried about getting the money I am owed. With over 80 families i love the ones that pay automatically!!

Lori
blandino 05:52 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:

We use it too, and charge the fee to the client. It is also nice because they can call in a payment, and you can manually enter it (the fee is 3.5% for manually entered) but it is a no excuse option for those who happen to be gone on a day payment is due.
JenNJ 05:53 AM 03-07-2013
I use Square as well. There is a $7 fee to my clients for using it. It has come in handy a few times. Once when a family was moving and lost the check cards and checkbook. They only had an emergency credit card. When families go on vacation, I email a bill and they pay by Square vs. leaving post dated checks. It also solves the "forgot the checkbook" problem. Everyone has a credit or debit card.
canadiancare 06:15 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by satcook:
WE have a number of parents who pay with credit cards. A lot of them do it for the points and pay the balance in full each month. Some of the cards we run are debit cards so it comes straight out of their account.

Most of the other parents do not tell me whether they pay the bill off or not. They just give me a card and I charge it weekly. It is not my problem if they let a balance accrue on their credit card. I'm just worried about getting the money I am owed. With over 80 families i love the ones that pay automatically!!

Lori
your choice. I didn't judge- I just replied that I wouldn't offer it.
itlw8 06:20 AM 03-07-2013
2 of my families buy EVERYTHING in the card and pay off at the end of the month. They rack up a lot of points. but if they have to pay extra for the service then not sure it would really add to their points ???????I might look into it.
Springdaze 07:54 AM 03-07-2013
Ive thought about atleast offering it, since Square is free if not used. I certainly wouldnt pay the fee though, Id def pass it to the parent. How would you do that, though, just instead of putting in tuition, just enter it and the fee? Of course tell the parent
wahmof3 09:46 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
Ive thought about atleast offering it, since Square is free if not used. I certainly wouldnt pay the fee though, Id def pass it to the parent. How would you do that, though, just instead of putting in tuition, just enter it and the fee? Of course tell the parent

I multiply the 2.75% by the fee and add the result (I have it written in where I store my card reader).

I think some just say its $5 additional or whatever covers the 2.75%

I LOVE having the option! I have what looks like a credit card machine in my entry way. This machine is what my state assistance clients use to scan their kids in and out of child care (no paperwork). I have had SEVERAL people ask to use it to pay me and in the past I have told them- sorry its not for credit card payments. This is why I looked into credit card options.
EAP 09:59 AM 03-07-2013
Are the parents OK with paying the fee?
wahmof3 10:19 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
Are the parents OK with paying the fee?
I have one parent who is fine with it and loves the option of having it. She does however pay mostly by check.

My other families pay by check.

As long as you're clear about it, I don't think it's a big deal
MarinaVanessa 10:38 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:

I use this also. It takes both credit and debit cards. It's not my job to parent the parent's credit card responsibilities so I accept payment however they want to pay me. If they get into debt because of misuse of credit cards it's not my responsibility to monitor that. The clients that have used it all used debit cards anyway.
Meeko 05:55 PM 03-07-2013
I have been looking into Square and others plans that are similar. They all mention about holding funds in a reserve. Do you all get ALL your money EVERY time? Or do they hold some back for a while?
MarinaVanessa 06:09 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have been looking into Square and others plans that are similar. They all mention about holding funds in a reserve. Do you all get ALL your money EVERY time? Or do they hold some back for a while?
I've always gotten my funds in full (minus the fee) and it takes as long as ChildCarePay does for funds to clear into my account (5 DAYS).
Sunnyyy1 06:10 PM 03-07-2013
I was looking into the Square system too.
Meeko 04:29 PM 03-09-2013
I don't have a data plan for my phone as I don't text etc. But I do have a tablet that works with our wi-fi for the house.

Do you have to have a data plan for the credit card things to work? (Yes I'm an ignoramus about this stuff!) or is a wi-fi connection sufficient?

Any info would be much appreciated!
JLH 08:12 AM 03-11-2013
I am very interested in this as well. At my old daycare, I had a problem with a customer who bounced a couple of checks and eventually she ended up in prison for check fraud for writing bad checks all over town. Needless to say, this left me worried for quite some time about my own bank status and theft of my identity. This time when I re-opened my daycare, I set my policies up so I accept cash and money orders only. This would be a great option for my daycare parents but I only have a cell phone through Walmart, not a smartphone. Are there any payment systems like this for people who don't have smartphones or an iphone?
MarinaVanessa 08:48 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I don't have a data plan for my phone as I don't text etc. But I do have a tablet that works with our wi-fi for the house.

Do you have to have a data plan for the credit card things to work? (Yes I'm an ignoramus about this stuff!) or is a wi-fi connection sufficient?

Any info would be much appreciated!
Apple devices that are compatible:
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPad
iPad mini
iPod Touch

Android devices that are compatible:
Many Android devices are supported at this time. Supported Android devices have:

Google Android 2.2 or higher (Honeycomb or modified versions of Android are not supported)
A 3.5mm headset jack with microphone (audio jack adaptors are not supported)
A screen size specified as Normal or Large (Small screen sizes are not supported)
GPS enabled
Access to Google Play
Supported Android devices include but are not limited to the following:

Motorola DROID X
Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/arti...ty-with-square

I have an Android HTC One X and although it's not on the list it does work for me.
MarinaVanessa 08:55 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by JLH:
I am very interested in this as well. At my old daycare, I had a problem with a customer who bounced a couple of checks and eventually she ended up in prison for check fraud for writing bad checks all over town. Needless to say, this left me worried for quite some time about my own bank status and theft of my identity. This time when I re-opened my daycare, I set my policies up so I accept cash and money orders only. This would be a great option for my daycare parents but I only have a cell phone through Walmart, not a smartphone. Are there any payment systems like this for people who don't have smartphones or an iphone?
If you get Minute Menu Kids Pro (online record keeping software, about $70 a year but a steal if you use all the features) you can use the invoicing and electronic payment options through ChildCarePay.com for free. Using childcarepay is free except that they will take a flat $1 fee per payment transaction (no matter the amount) which you can choose to pay yourself (they take it out if the payment and it's tax deductible) or your clients can pay it.

Clients sign in to an account after you set it up and they get invoices emailed to them which they click on and pay after entering their bank information. The money is withdrawn from their account and then deposited into yours (takes about 5 days). If you don't have any of the above devices then this might be a better way to go or you can accept payments through PayPal.
KnoxMom 09:04 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If you don't have any of the above devices then this might be a better way to go or you can accept payments through PayPal.
I'm currently accepting payment through paypal so that they can pay by either check or card. I pay $9.95 monthly for the service and the percentage is dependent upon the type of transaction (check vs. card). I don't pass the fee on to parents because it is tax deductible so I'd rather use it to combat the amount I will owe for the year.

I have considered using minute menu pro or timely tuition for payments instead but I'm waiting until I am approved for the food program because I believe my sponsor gives access to minute menu pro and then I can use it as an add-on feature. We shall see!
MarinaVanessa 09:55 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
I have considered using minute menu pro or timely tuition for payments instead but I'm waiting until I am approved for the food program because I believe my sponsor gives access to minute menu pro and then I can use it as an add-on feature. We shall see!
Wow if your food program gives you access to the Pro version then I would totally wait. Ours only gives us the regular version so I had to pay extra for the Pro version and have to use them both (regular for food program and Pro for record keeping) .
KnoxMom 10:30 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Ours only gives us the regular version so I had to pay extra for the Pro version and have to use them both (regular for food program and Pro for record keeping) .
Oh wow. You would think they'd be able to combine accounts to streamline the process... but that would probably be TOO EASY
MarinaVanessa 10:34 AM 03-11-2013
Oh wow. You would think they'd be able to combine accounts to streamline the process... but that would probably be TOO EASY
Exactly what I thought too . I think that any government program might work this way ... if it sounds like a lot of effort, is complicated, sounds backwards, doesn't makes sense and makes everyone aggravated, you''re doing it right
JLH 12:18 PM 03-11-2013
I'm currently accepting payment through paypal so that they can pay by either check or card. I pay $9.95 monthly for the service and the percentage is dependent upon the type of transaction (check vs. card). I don't pass the fee on to parents because it is tax deductible so I'd rather use it to combat the amount I will owe for the year.

i like this option too. How much is the fee for using Paypal and how long do they tend to hold your money before you it reaches your bank account?
Tags:payment, payment options
Reply Up