Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On 18 Month Old Who Couldn't Walk/Talk
Unregistered 04:44 PM 09-23-2014
I posted the other week about an 18 month old who just started at my daycare and couldn't walk or talk. I observed her for a week, and she began to babble a word here and there. I've heard her say Hi, Momma, Dada, Yum, Nana (for banana). I immediately encouraged her to walk by standing her up, letting her hold my hands as she walked, changing her diaper while standing up (holding on to something), and I would have her hold on to a push-toy then tempt her to take a step closer to grab something interesting (my cell phone, food, etc). She took a few steps like that. Then I got her to stand up by holding food above her head and asking her to stand up. Then I would take a couple steps back and tell her to walk, and she'd take a couple steps and grab the food. Then I'd gradually stand further and further back. Every time she wanted snack outside of our regular snack/meal times I would make her stand and walk, and me and all the kids would cheer her on. So, after 2 weeks of her starting here I got her to walk! I'm taking all the credit

I'm not super concerned about her not talking, I mean if it were my own child I would be, but I know some kids are late talkers. She babbles all the time and tries to communicate (she'll bring me various toys and seem to be asking me what it is, but instead of a real word she just uses jibberish).
Laurel 05:12 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I posted the other week about an 18 month old who just started at my daycare and couldn't walk or talk. I observed her for a week, and she began to babble a word here and there. I've heard her say Hi, Momma, Dada, Yum, Nana (for banana). I immediately encouraged her to walk by standing her up, letting her hold my hands as she walked, changing her diaper while standing up (holding on to something), and I would have her hold on to a push-toy then tempt her to take a step closer to grab something interesting (my cell phone, food, etc). She took a few steps like that. Then I got her to stand up by holding food above her head and asking her to stand up. Then I would take a couple steps back and tell her to walk, and she'd take a couple steps and grab the food. Then I'd gradually stand further and further back. Every time she wanted snack outside of our regular snack/meal times I would make her stand and walk, and me and all the kids would cheer her on. So, after 2 weeks of her starting here I got her to walk! I'm taking all the credit

I'm not super concerned about her not talking, I mean if it were my own child I would be, but I know some kids are late talkers. She babbles all the time and tries to communicate (she'll bring me various toys and seem to be asking me what it is, but instead of a real word she just uses jibberish).
Good for you!

Laurel
Thriftylady 05:26 PM 09-23-2014
Sounds to me like she just needs some extra attention and you are making sure she gets it. Keep up the good work. I bet the parents will give you tons of referrals.
hsdcmama 06:27 PM 09-23-2014
Wonderful! It's the times like these that we feel like our jobs really mean something.
NightOwl 08:29 PM 09-23-2014
Awesome! You should take all the credit. You deserve it!
Reply Up