Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Stay at Home Order Expires May 4th (for now)... Continue to Close?

I have had my daycare closed since March 16th... not charging families anything!

Currently, my state (MN) has a stay at home order until May 4th. I sent out a letter stating that I'll be closed until then. I'm guessing that our Governor will extend the stay at home order. We will see.

I'm just so worried about reopening daycare. In all honesty, I don't want to yet. My husband (who works from home) and I are young (in our 30's), but I also have a 5 and 2 year old, and I just had a baby 2 weeks ago. I'm mostly concerned about my newborn baby.

I do daycare with my sister at my house, so she could be the one working the daycare downstairs, while I stay upstairs with my baby. But really, if the virus came into my house, I don't think staying upstairs would prevent us from getting it.

As of now, all of my families are able to have at least one parent working from home. I just feel bad continuing to close for such a long time.

Wwyd?
Old 04-22-2020, 04:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
I have had my daycare closed since March 16th... not charging families anything!

Currently, my state (MN) has a stay at home order until May 4th. I sent out a letter stating that I'll be closed until then. I'm guessing that our Governor will extend the stay at home order. We will see.

I'm just so worried about reopening daycare. In all honesty, I don't want to yet. My husband (who works from home) and I are young (in our 30's), but I also have a 5 and 2 year old, and I just had a baby 2 weeks ago. I'm mostly concerned about my newborn baby.

I do daycare with my sister at my house, so she could be the one working the daycare downstairs, while I stay upstairs with my baby. But really, if the virus came into my house, I don't think staying upstairs would prevent us from getting it.

As of now, all of my families are able to have at least one parent working from home. I just feel bad continuing to close for such a long time.

Wwyd?
It sounds like you are not comfortable with the idea of opening. I don't blame you. If I had a newborn I certainly would not open anytime soon either.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:44 AM
Day Care Owner

What would I do?
I would be taking maternity leave, effective immediately.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post

Wwyd?
The stay at home order in MN doesn't mean daycares have to be closed. I have been open the whole time and have not closed.

I agree with the others and if you are uncomfortable being open, don't open.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

In Ma. they just extended the daycare closure to June 29th. Two reasons I would stay closed if I were you.1-newborn baby. No way if I could afford to close indefinitely would I reopen. You are correct in saying if the virus comes into your home chances are someone there will be infected. The heating systems in most houses will circulate air.2-You will never get this time back. Enjoy your family. If you are not getting paid and parent is home I would call it at least until we see what happens when things reopen. Could your sister go to her house if anyone needs care? We have never had anything like this so everything is unexpected.Remember if you stay closed you can always start fresh when reopening.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

If you can afford to stay closed, stay closed and enjoy the time with your family.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

My husband and I are both high risk. I have made the decision to close. I will re access the situation in the fall. Right now, I'm leaning toward nanny work. Look into applying for Pandemic Unemployment (PUA). I qualified because I closed specifically because of c-19.

Take the time off. Enjoy your baby!
Old 04-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

ITA that if you can afford to stay closed, stay closed.

I've been open this whole time, but no one in my household is high risk. And we can't afford for me to close anyway...

Tags
coronavirus - afterwards