Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Famine" All Summer, Now Its A "Feast"
Sugar Magnolia 11:30 AM 08-29-2011
We had a very tough summer, enrollment went way down due to relocations, moms having new babies, loss of parents employment, under-employment, etc. We only had 9 f/t and 2 p/t. I was really worried about surviving....then we learned that a large vacant building immediately next door was opening as a charter school, one that offered free preschool through state funding.....I thought it would be the death-nail.
Well, last week was the first week of school and we signed up 5 new kids! ALL OF THEM were either the younger siblings of kids enrolled next door, or the kids of teachers there! Holy cow, Batman, I can't believe how well it worked out! What I thought would be a curse was actually a blessing! I now am full and have a waiting list for the first time in a year! Only problem is the chaos created 5 new kids all starting at once! Once everyone gets used to the routine, I'm sure it will calm down. 3 of the 5 newbies are Littles, so that makes it a real challenge. But its a challenge I welcome, much better than having to close!
CheekyChick 11:43 AM 08-29-2011
That is WONDERFUL!!! I'm so happy for you.
Sugar Magnolia 11:53 AM 08-29-2011
Thanks Cheeky! I feel so relieved right now! We were about to start falling behind on the mortgage for our center....thank goodness for that charter school!!!!!
SandeeAR 11:58 AM 08-29-2011
Glad to hear it! I have 2 people wanting a spot here. Problem is, they are both babies. I just can't take anymore babies at this point.
Sugar Magnolia 12:04 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Glad to hear it! I have 2 people wanting a spot here. Problem is, they are both babies. I just can't take anymore babies at this point.
That's great you have a back-log too! Isn't it nice?!?
Yeah I went from 2 littles to 5! That's PLENTY for me! 2 are 1 year olds, the other 3 are 2 year olds! And the State of FL says 6 toddlers to one adult! Too many! 5 is the LIMIT for me. This is the first time we've ever had more than 4 Littles! Oy Vay!
SilverSabre25 12:13 PM 08-29-2011
Yay! Congrats!
irishdancer 05:30 AM 08-30-2011
Hi Sugar Magnolia, Where in Florida are you located? I live in Palm Beach county
Sugar Magnolia 05:45 AM 08-30-2011
Hi Irishdancer! Directly across the state from you, Sarasota.
Sugar Magnolia 05:56 AM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yay! Congrats!
Thanks Silver!
Tags:full house, positive, start of school
Reply Up