Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If Everything is $1.00...
blandino 04:47 PM 05-14-2013
Then I just purchased 80 something individual things at the dollar store. I think that beats my own personal record.

But they had a ton of dinosaur stuff (we are on our dinosaur unit now), dress up skirts and beads, bubbles (I bought enough for the summer), pails & shovels, and beach balls for the backyard. Plus they had board books and plastic gloves - so I stocked up. But good grief - 86 things !

Hey, at least I feel like I have things to show for my money... Unlike how fast $80.00 seems to go at the grocery store. Right ?
TheGoodLife 04:53 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Then I just purchased 80 something individual things at the dollar store. I think that beats my own personal record.

But they had a ton of dinosaur stuff (we are on our dinosaur unit now), dress up skirts and beads, bubbles (I bought enough for the summer), pails & shovels, and beach balls for the backyard. Plus they had board books and plastic gloves - so I stocked up. But good grief - 86 things !

Hey, at least I feel like I have things to show for my money... Unlike how fast $80.00 seems to go at the grocery store. Right ?
Woo hoo, I love bargain shopping trips like that! Good job
Mom2Five+ 07:13 PM 05-14-2013
I'm right with you when it comes to the dollar store. I do feel better being able to see my moneys worth. Way to go on your find and I'm sure you will be able to use them with something else
AmyKidsCo 07:28 PM 05-14-2013
I love the Dollar store! They're building one closer to me - I can't wait for it to open!
blandino 07:31 PM 05-14-2013
I honestly went in looking for only plastic dinosaurs. I thought it would be a 5 minute trip.

I ran into an old client - and she looked at my cart and said " I was going to ask what you are doing - but I'm guessing you are still operating the daycare".
littlemissmuffet 07:48 PM 05-14-2013
I spend more money in dollar stores every year than I spend anywhere else. My personal "best" on a single dollar store trip was $216!!!
MsLaura529 03:58 AM 05-15-2013
Great finds! I love the Dollar store ... I do NOT like their tape though. Bought a package of 6 rolls for $1 ... worst tape ever. It doesn't stick at all.
Sunchimes 05:26 AM 05-15-2013
My personal best is $55, but I have an excuse. The closest one is about 40 miles away and I only get there about every 6-8 weeks. So, I stock up. But the things are so cool! I have begged for years to have one built here, but I never get a reply. I'd love to be able to go in when I need something. I'd probably spend the same amount or more, but at least it would be spread out a little.
daycarediva 05:41 AM 05-15-2013
I spend around $50/month in there. Ours has brand name glue, glue sticks, glitter glue, gel pens, markers, crayons, colored pencils 2/1!

I buy plastic bins there for sensory play to correspond with our color(s) of the month, the precut out shapes, and a lot of office supplies, too.

My other favorite is 5 below. I LOVE that store, everything is under $5. I got towels and BPA free water bottles that I label and reuse for daycare kids every year.
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 05-15-2013
One of my daycare parents owns our local Dollar store.

Yeah, I spend almost all of what they pay me at their store so.....

win-win for both of us. (I think)
MarinaVanessa 08:24 AM 05-15-2013
I love the .99 store and the Dollar Tree. I just spent $30 there over the weekend getting craft stuff and school supplies for my DD's teacher (teacher appreciation week, I made her a school supply cake). I can spend a fortune there!

On a side note. Keep the bubbles away from sunlight and in cool temperatures to help keep the solution longer. Bubble stuff loses it's ability to create bubbles after a while (a year I think) so try the bubbles out to make sure you didn't get any that have been sitting on some warehouse shelf for a long time. Keeping them in a dark and cool closet/room will also help keep them from going flat .
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I love the .99 store and the Dollar Tree. I just spend $30 there over the weekend getting craft stuff and school supplies for my DD's teacher (teacher appreciation week, I made her a school supply cake). I can spend a fortune there!

On a side note. Keep the bubbles away from sunlight and in cool temperatures to help keep the solution longer. Bubble stuff loses it's ability to create bubbles after a while (a year I think) so try the bubbles out to make sure you didn't get any that have been sitting on some warehouse shelf for a long time. Keeping them in a dark and cool closet/room will also help keep them from going flat .
Speaking of bubbles....

A world famous bubblologist or bubble connoisseur ( ) says the key to making truly fantastic bubbles or to give old bubble solution a kick is to add 1 tbs (15 mil) glycerin to the mixture of soap and water.

Glycerin - Glycerin is the secret additive that gives a bubble its extra strength. Don't be too shocked by the price on a bottleof high quality glycerin. Contact the pharmacist at your local grocery store for availability. (Note: Some bubble recipes substitute KaroŽ Syrup for glycerin due to the expense and availability of glycerin.)
http://www.stevespangler.com/experim...t-best-bubble/
daycarediva 09:26 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Speaking of bubbles....

A world famous bubblologist or bubble connoisseur ( ) says the key to making truly fantastic bubbles or to give old bubble solution a kick is to add 1 tbs (15 mil) glycerin to the mixture of soap and water.

Glycerin - Glycerin is the secret additive that gives a bubble its extra strength. Don't be too shocked by the price on a bottleof high quality glycerin. Contact the pharmacist at your local grocery store for availability. (Note: Some bubble recipes substitute KaroŽ Syrup for glycerin due to the expense and availability of glycerin.)
http://www.stevespangler.com/experim...t-best-bubble/
speaking of glycerin.....

I make our hand soap, and buy glycerin in smallish bottles in the pharmacy section at Walmart. They are around $3.

Never knew that about the bubbles though...cool!
WoodOx 09:35 AM 05-15-2013
All this talk about the dollar store..reminds me that i have not gone in a long time. guess i have been missing out on saving.
BLACKCAT-thanks for the useful info on bubbles.
jessrlee 10:53 AM 05-15-2013
I get so look mad when I get all excited about a great bargain and then find a better one at Wal-Mart for 98˘!
Reply Up