Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Smells Like Dirty Diapers!!
Pineapple 06:48 PM 05-29-2013
Hey everyone.

I work at a center with 12-to-24-month-olds. For some reason, many of them are on the same "pooping schedule" and will poop around the same time. Like, 6 stinky diapers in the span of 30 minutes. The smell lingers on after all the changings and even if we take the trash out immediately afterward. It just...doesn't really go away.

We used to open the windows and get some fresh air in there, but some of the parents complained that it's too drafty, so we can't do that anymore.

Anyway, it's no fun smelling poopy diapers all day so, does anyone have any suggestions? What do you do for your daycare?
melilley 06:56 PM 05-29-2013
In my experience, there is nothing you can do! If you can't open the windows the smell does not go away! In the past I have worked in a center and it always smelled-our windows didn't open. We had those automatic air freshener things above the garbage cans, but that didn't help. We weren't allowed to spray any other stuff though. Sometimes I would put bleach water in the bottom and put the can outside during nap or over night, but that only helped with the smelly garbage can-until someone pooed! The smell still lingers in the air no matter what. I would go home and swear that I smelled like poo!.., well not really I suppose.
melilley 06:57 PM 05-29-2013
Oh, and I swear they do get together and decide to poo at the same time. It happens all the time at my home daycare!
Lyss 06:59 PM 05-29-2013
Originally Posted by Pineapple:
Hey everyone.

I work at a center with 12-to-24-month-olds. For some reason, many of them are on the same "pooping schedule" and will poop around the same time. Like, 6 stinky diapers in the span of 30 minutes. The smell lingers on after all the changings and even if we take the trash out immediately afterward. It just...doesn't really go away.

We used to open the windows and get some fresh air in there, but some of the parents complained that it's too drafty, so we can't do that anymore.

Anyway, it's no fun smelling poopy diapers all day so, does anyone have any suggestions? What do you do for your daycare?
You can't open the windows for even like 10 mins?

I have a friend who swears by Scentsy but I've never tried it. I just open a window and spray some febreze (which gives me a headache if I spray to much so I use sparingly!)
Bookworm 07:18 PM 05-29-2013
Try Febreeze. It works for us.
blandino 07:32 PM 05-29-2013
Scentsy makes a spray that eliminates odors, and it works like a charm. We have the "odor out" scent, and it works very well.
LK5kids 07:45 PM 05-29-2013
Parents complained about open windows????? What the heck? I have been in nice, clean centers and they always have a funny smell because they can't or don't open the windows. to you. Sorry you have to work without fresh air!

I too think the only way is to keep the diapers emptied and a window open. I throw my wet diapers away inside but take the dirty ones outside to a covered can on my porch. I just can't have them inside.

Hope you find something.
Lavender 07:57 PM 05-29-2013
I was going to suggest scentsy. You could also try sprinkling baking soda in the bottom of the trash. I do feel you. My room is 9-18 months and they all like to poop at the same time too. Luckily just taking out the trash usually fixes our smell.
Pineapple 08:23 PM 05-29-2013
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Originally Posted by melilley:
I would go home and swear that I smelled like poo!.., well not really I suppose.
Funny you mention that... I've been wondering if I do as well!!

Originally Posted by Lyss:
You can't open the windows for even like 10 mins?

I have a friend who swears by Scentsy but I've never tried it. I just open a window and spray some febreze (which gives me a headache if I spray to much so I use sparingly!)
The lead teacher doesn't want to in case a parent drops by (we have an open door policy for parents). I'm just the assistant, so I don't really get to call the shots.

And we can't use Febreze either because one of the kids has asthma and apparently that can be very bad for him. I've never heard of Scentsy before, but I might suggest that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Parents complained about open windows????? What the heck? I have been in nice, clean centers and they always have a funny smell because they can't or don't open the windows. to you. Sorry you have to work without fresh air!
Yeah, it's kind of weird, isn't it? I would've thought parents would be bothered if we didn't open the windows.
LK5kids 02:32 AM 05-30-2013
Oh, what about incapsulating those offending diapers in a disposable glove? Would your center have funds for that? I just remembered that idea from past postings here.

I am going to start doing this. Glad I remembered it.
People have posted here that it really works well.
Cradle2crayons 08:08 AM 05-30-2013
I put them in one of those pooper scooper baggies from dollar tree...50 pack for a buck....

Sometimes I double Baggie it... And then tie a knot at the top to "seal it"

Years ago I got one heck of a steal on some ziplock bags can't remember where... That worked well too....

I don't take mine to the outside garbage and my house doesn't even HINT of Poopie.
Leigh 09:16 AM 05-30-2013
First, the kids need the fresh air as much as you do. I can't believe that the person in charge of your center would let ONE parent dictate company policy. That place must be chaotic trying to make every crazy parent happy. THAT parent should have been told to dress their child to the level they felt was appropriate. Here, I don't call it a draft, I call it FRESH AIR!

All diapers go directly outdoors at my house. They NEVER sit indoors. That is the only way I can control the smell. And, if the weather allows, the windows are also ALWAYS open.

Even if the kids can't be outside because of rain or time of day, or whatever, then they can at least breathe clean, fresh air.

I suggest, seriously, calling an industrial cleaning company to evaluate your situation and recommend a product to help with the smell (and, of course, not letting dirty diapers sit around in a room with no air moving around).
My3cents 10:23 AM 05-30-2013
I bag them up and if they are real bad double or triple bag them. I lysol out my covered diaper can and spray lysol if it is bad or frebreeze. I open my windows and doors for fresh air when possible and use scentsy or walmart brand of scentsy. I clean often too. I take my poop bucket out when needed or at the end of the day. Every so often I will set my bucket outside with lysol and then sun it out. Baking soda too. I do it all- LOL
Childminder 10:40 AM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Try Febreeze. It works for us.
Yeppers ! Works for me and it is corn based so non toxic.
melilley 11:57 AM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Yeppers ! Works for me and it is corn based so non toxic.
Good to know, I didn't know that! I love Febreeze!
melilley 11:59 AM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Oh, what about incapsulating those offending diapers in a disposable glove? Would your center have funds for that? I just remembered that idea from past postings here.

I am going to start doing this. Glad I remembered it.
People have posted here that it really works well.
We called the diapers in the gloves a diaper bomb....
Reply Up