Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Latest "Happened at Daycare"
Childminder 11:07 AM 10-17-2013
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...z/-/index.html

Saw this on the news last night, Last quote from newscast was "of course the baby wont be going back to day care".
Shell 11:13 AM 10-17-2013
Oh Geez- I suspect a law suit is coming, and a big payday for that mom from the pacifier manufacturer! I don't know how that could have happened, aren't those supposed to be the safe ones?!
Hunni Bee 11:13 AM 10-17-2013
That's the kind my daughter uses....very scary to know that a baby can somehow swallow the entire thing
BrooklynM 11:20 AM 10-17-2013
WOAH!!! That is crazy! I can't believe they added that the baby will no longer go to "that" daycare, like it was the daycare's fault? She is lucky that the daycare owner was watching the baby and called 911!! She should be thanking that daycare owner!

I cant believe the baby got the whole thing in his mouth. His mouth must be huge or something?
Heidi 11:20 AM 10-17-2013
I hate those pacifiers. They are so ugly. Now, I have another reason to dislike them.

I wonder why he wont go back to that daycare? How are they at fault? Seems to me, the provider saved his life by doing all the right things.

My daughter used a Binky brand when she was little. Around her 2nd birthday, I found her in bed, messing with it..the WHOLE thing was in her mouth. That was the last time she got a pacifier. Those kind did have "air holes" in the frame part, but it still freaked me out.

This kind...

http://rlv.zcache.com/navy_blue_baby..._8byvr_512.jpg
mamac 11:23 AM 10-17-2013
Gah! I just put my dcb down for a nap with one of those!! Nope. No more. Letting dcm know of this at pickup.
SilverSabre25 11:32 AM 10-17-2013
Honestly it sounds like a freak accident. He might have an oddly shaped/sized throat/mouth, it might have been freakishly small, you just can't assume that every single one is going to do that. You can't stop every freak accident. Actually because of the nature of them being "freak" I don't think you can stop ANY of them.

And I do wonder...if the provider DID do something wrong. How is it going to get lodged like that/ I wonder if he got it in his mouth and she reached in to get it, and shoved it down his throat. Or did another child shove it in his mouth?

I just don't buy that they are dangerous or that she should sue or anything. Something seems off about that.
Scout 12:19 PM 10-17-2013
I hate pacifiers!! I am glad my own did not take them. It would take an awful lot fo rmy son to swallow his own two fingers!

I also don't see how the daycare is to blame!
TwinKristi 12:23 PM 10-17-2013
That's crazy!!! I don't understand how it could happen... Something seems off to me.
daycarediva 12:25 PM 10-17-2013
I don't see how they are blaming daycare!? Didn't see do everything right by being attentive, seeing it happen, calling 911 and keeping him alive before the ambulance arrived.

Poor daycare provider.

Super glad baby is ok though!
MyAngels 12:32 PM 10-17-2013
I've actually never had a little with a paci like that. It said in the story that it was the type the hospital gives out, and my first thought was that it was a newborn size and too small for a 5 month old. Maybe that's why he was able to get the whole thing in his mouth.

In any case, unless a too small pacifier was supplied by the provider, I don't understand how the provider did anything wrong (as was implied at the end of the story).

Just one more thing to add to my list of things to incessantly worry about.
Scout 01:39 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've actually never had a little with a paci like that. It said in the story that it was the type the hospital gives out, and my first thought was that it was a newborn size and too small for a 5 month old. Maybe that's why he was able to get the whole thing in his mouth.

In any case, unless a too small pacifier was supplied by the provider, I don't understand how the provider did anything wrong (as was implied at the end of the story).

Just one more thing to add to my list of things to incessantly worry about.
No, when they are newborn these cover half their face! They are quite big actually and it had to be a freak thing like Silver said.
playdate4 09:37 PM 10-19-2013
No body even thanked the sitter for her actions!
Michelle 07:14 AM 10-20-2013
Maybe she is a wacko and pushed it down his throat? I doubt it though..
that would explain why it was in there so tight that it came out in pieces.
but they did say she tried to get it out which she could have accidentally have pushed it further.
I don't know what really happened but it seems she did everything right.

It doesn't seem they are telling the whole story.
I feel bad for the provider.
Lucky for the mom and baby that the provider was right there and called for help right away and it didn't happen while he was alone in bed.
Sounds like he had adequate supervision.. no loss of oxygen because the provider acted so quickly.

I had a little boy that had a first time asthma attack and I took him to the ER immediately.
We called the mom at work and she came and I filled out the appropriate papers when I got home and that was it for me. ( first and only time I ever had to take any dck to the hospital)
but that night the whole family came over, brought me presents, dinner and hugged me etc. for " saving his life" I assured them that anyone would have done the same thing but they were so grateful and the next day he came "with his nebulizer, inhaler, and a big smile on his face.
Tags:article, pacifier issues
Reply Up