Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Meet-Up
Pammie 03:30 AM 01-20-2011
I'd like to try and set up a daycare provider "Meet-Up" in my area (Columbus, Ohio), with the hopes of starting a group to share networking, referrals and support since this job by it's nature, is quite isolating.

Has anyone attempted something similar? Any success? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cat Herder 03:39 AM 01-20-2011
Be careful what you wish for

Just teasing.... Sounds wonderful. Good luck!!
momofboys 05:16 AM 01-20-2011
I've never tried it but have wanted to. I live about 20 min west of Columbus so if you ever try to do one please let me know, I'd love to take part in one!
AnythingsPossible 05:57 AM 01-20-2011
We have a childcare association in our town, throughout our whole state there are different chapters actually. Participation is dismal. In our association, years ago, you could call and bounce ideas off each other and get advice. We also used to have trainings for our hours. Over the past couple of years, anytime we would plan something, we would get 2 or 3 providers at the most. I suppose alot of it just depends on your area. Here, participation in lots of things have gone down. I think if there is an interest, it would be a good thing, but if the majority of providers don't show an interest, it won't accomplish much. Most of the providers around here are very protective about their businesses and don't want to admit they have any issues or share how they handle things. It is a very weird dynamic.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 01-20-2011
I think it sounds like a great idea and probably lots of fun. The providers in my area only see each other if we are friends and are used to hanging around each other or we all get together for our yearly food program trainings.

......now if you were to plan say, a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas for daycare forum members only then I would be totally up for that!! You know how they do cruises for scrapbookers or cruises for Elvis lover's etc...I say we have one for daycare forum members!! Ooooh...wouldn't that be a blast?!?!?
SandeeAR 06:14 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think it sounds like a great idea and probably lots of fun. The providers in my area only see each other if we are friends and are used to hanging around each other or we all get together for our yearly food program trainings.

......now if you were to plan say, a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas for daycare forum members only then I would be totally up for that!! You know how they do cruises for scrapbookers or cruises for Elvis lover's etc...I say we have one for daycare forum members!! Ooooh...wouldn't that be a blast?!?!?
Think you could get Michael to pay for us all?
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Maybe we should start a petition thread? LOL! You know how convincing (i.e. annoying) a large group of women can be when they really want something!!

....or maybe atleast we could get Tom to figure out a way for it to be tax deductible?!?!
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 01-20-2011
Pammie I think that's a great idea. I know we live near each other.

The all-inclusive cruise to the Bahamas is a good idea too!
DCMomOf3 06:53 AM 01-20-2011
I think we are all a bit loopy this week. LOVE IT!

I would take a cruise right about now.
missnikki 06:55 AM 01-20-2011
Why should Michael have to pay for it? I say, tack on a 'I watch your child therefore you need to pay for my cruise" fee. Parents will understand.
DCMomOf3 06:55 AM 01-20-2011
oh, and the Twin Ciities girls, i'd be up to something.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
oh, and the Twin Ciities girls, i'd be up to something.
I'm not in the Twin Cities area (more of the Twin Ports area) but I do go to the cities alot since most my sibs live there so I would be up for something there too!!!
Former Teacher 05:03 PM 01-20-2011
You guys are a hoot!

No wonder I love you all...as my mother says..my friends without faces!

Michael 09:24 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I'm ignoring you

I will take anyone from the forum in my area, or areas I travel to, for a round of drinks if you are in the area. I am in Nashville now, Santa Monica next week and Uruguay next month.

I like the idea of local meetups. We do the same thing in the domainer industry. It really helps to foster ideas and goodwill in the industry.
Abigail 09:34 PM 01-20-2011
We also have a local daycare association in our city. It's $20/year to be a member and they hold meetings monthly and rotate each meeting in each provider's home. I attended one and noticed about 10 people came, so I think it's productive. A few young moms brought their children and one person was my grandma's age....so a wide range of experience I'm sure is brought to ours. I would call your local childcare licensing agency because they'll have any information if you have a local chapter or daycare association. If you create one, they'll share your information with all other licensed providers in the area so it's free advertising as far as that goes.
E Daycare 04:49 AM 01-21-2011
Meet up a little further south in Dayton and Ill drive up and meet you guys lol. Im down near Cincy but lived on base in Dayton for 5yrs so am pretty familiar with the Dayton area
jenh171 08:37 AM 01-21-2011
Michael, are you sure you want offer to pay for our drinks? You're talking about women who spend 50+ hours a week with mulitple babies and toddlers. Cocktails could get VERY expensive for us!

JK...you rock. Thanks for the offer!
jenh171 08:49 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe we should start a petition thread? LOL! You know how convincing (i.e. annoying) a large group of women can be when they really want something!!

....or maybe atleast we could get Tom to figure out a way for it to be tax deductible?!?!

I love it, blackcat. Tom could outline the reasons why the cruise is, in the long run, really for the welfare of the children.
DCMomOf3 08:51 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I love it, blackcat. Tom could outline the reasons why the cruise is, in the long run, really for the welfare of the children.
How about making it a 'conferece of continuing education' with courses like" How not to lose your mind."
Michael 08:56 AM 01-21-2011
Michael, are you sure you want offer to pay for our drinks? You're talking about women who spend 50+ hours a week with mulitple babies and toddlers. Cocktails could get VERY expensive for us!

JK...you rock. Thanks for the offer!
Nah, you deserve it. Some drinking is part of my business. I wonder if I can write that off! Here is an article from my visit in Nashville yesterday. See, the Champagne is part of my "doing business and having a good time image". I would enjoy actually meeting some of you if the occasion ever came up: http://www.nashville.com/music/2011/...morgan-tobias/
E Daycare 09:00 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
How about making it a 'conferece of continuing education' with courses like" How not to lose your mind."
Also include "Why drinking on the job IS important"
DCMomOf3 09:02 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Nah, you deserve it. Some drinking is part of my business. I wonder if I can write that off! Here is an article from my visit in Nashville yesterday. See, the Champagne is part of my "doing business and having a good time image". I would enjoy actually meeting some of you if the occasion ever came up: http://www.nashville.com/music/2011/...morgan-tobias/
Actually, if you are entertaining business associates/clients, I think you can use it as a business expense.
SandeeAR 09:03 AM 01-21-2011
I'm ignoring you

I will take anyone from the forum in my area, or areas I travel to, for a round of drinks if you are in the area. I am in Nashville now, Santa Monica next week and Uruguay next month.

I like the idea of local meetups. We do the same thing in the domainer industry. It really helps to foster ideas and goodwill in the industry.
Ignoring me Sounds just like my husband

Let me know if you are ever in the Little Rock Area!
laundrymom 09:06 AM 01-21-2011
Lol Michael,... We are sometime scary after a long week! Let's make sure we meet you on a Sunday!! Lol Congrats on the Nashville thing. If you are ever in Indy say something! Being a country music fan myself, I love the songs the article mentioned. Awesome.
jenh171 09:11 AM 01-21-2011
looks like fun! you drink champagne with your clients, my clients spit up on me. well, if any providers are ever up for a meet up in the NJ area, let me know...and if Michael is in the area, we'll take him up on the round of drinks!
Michael 09:19 AM 01-21-2011
looks like fun! you drink champagne with your clients, my clients spit up on me. well, if any providers are ever up for a meet up in the NJ area, let me know...and if Michael is in the area, we'll take him up on the round of drinks!
I'm from NYC originally and know New Jersey well. I will look you up if I am in the area.
jenh171 09:33 AM 01-21-2011
thanks, MC! are there any other providers in Jerz?
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 01-21-2011
Jenh...if we ever get to go on this cruise for "educational purposes" I can drink too much and then I will spit up on you!!! ...that way it'll just be another regular day on the job!!!
jenh171 05:07 PM 01-21-2011
hehe...puked on? yup...just another day at the office!
Tags:meet up
Reply Up