Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Few Questions
Pineapple 01:02 PM 05-03-2013
I got a job as a daycare assistant starting on Monday, and I'm excited for it, but I thought I'd ask a few questions, since all of you seem pretty knowledgeable/experienced.

Since most of you seem to be providers/teachers, I just thought I'd ask if there's any helpful tips you have? I've had some experience with children before (from babysitting), but nothing like this, and I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous. Also, is there anything as an assistant that I should definitely not do? I just want to do well and make a good impression on Monday.

Also, I hate to mention this, but it's been on my mind a bit. I'm male, and there aren't many men who work in daycare/ECE, and where I'm from, there's a bit of a stigma attached to it. Some people would think it's weird or creepy. I don't want to make any of the parents worried...is there anything I should say or do to alleviate any concerns they might have?

Oh, and this is kind of a silly question, but as I was reading the forum, I was wondering...how many diaper changes are needed in a day? I guess it depends on the age of the children and how many there are (I'll be working with 10 12-to-24-month-olds with one other adult). I was told that I'll be doing most of the diaper changes, since I'm the assistant, and that's fine with me, but to be honest, I've never changed a diaper before in my life. I'm sure it'll quickly become routine though, but out of curiosity, about how many diapers do you think I'd need to change in a day?
blandino 01:09 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Pineapple:
I got a job as a daycare assistant starting on Monday, and I'm excited for it, but I thought I'd ask a few questions, since all of you seem pretty knowledgeable/experienced.

Since most of you seem to be providers/teachers, I just thought I'd ask if there's any helpful tips you have? I've had some experience with children before (from babysitting), but nothing like this, and I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous. Also, is there anything as an assistant that I should definitely not do? I just want to do well and make a good impression on Monday.

Also, I hate to mention this, but it's been on my mind a bit. I'm male, and there aren't many men who work in daycare/ECE, and where I'm from, there's a bit of a stigma attached to it. Some people would think it's weird or creepy. I don't want to make any of the parents worried...is there anything I should say or do to alleviate any concerns they might have?

Oh, and this is kind of a silly question, but as I was reading the forum, I was wondering...how many diaper changes are needed in a day? I guess it depends on the age of the children and how many there are (I'll be working with 10 12-to-24-month-olds with one other adult). I was told that I'll be doing most of the diaper changes, since I'm the assistant, and that's fine with me, but to be honest, I've never changed a diaper before in my life. I'm sure it'll quickly become routine though, but out of curiosity, about how many diapers do you think I'd need to change in a day?
At that age, I would assume that each child might go through 4/5 diapers while in care. The maximum time a child should go unchanged at the younger age is 2 hours while awake. Some of those chidren might be holding their bladder longer and may stay dry pretty long (maybe up to 3 hours) - but the younger ones won't. I change diapers every time they go down for nap, wake up from nap, and after we eat. That usually keeps them changed every 1.5 hours.

My biggest tip, the biggest problem we have had with employees, is having them sit while we are running our behinds off.
The person in charge is going to naturally take the lead and go ahead and do what needs to be done - but once you see what they are doing and have a feel for the routine - jump in and help. It has always been so frustrating when someone we have hired, watches us do all the work. Those employees never last long.
Blackcat31 01:14 PM 05-03-2013
Well, I think it is fantastic that you are male and interested in a career in early childhood!

Just like children need good nutrition and education, they need good male role models as well.

As for changing diapers, I usually change kids about every 2-3 hours depending on age. Since you are working with approximately 10 kids and each of those kids would need to be changed every 2-3 hours, you will probably end up changing between 30 and 40 diapers a day based on an 8.5 hour day.

Of course, things do happen that require changing outside of that estimate but that's as approximate as I've got.

One thing you could do in regards to starting your new job is talk with your director and see if it would be possible for you to write up a short "About Me" type introduction, talking about you and your interests both professionally and personally and see if you can distribute this to the parents' of the children you are working with.

It is always nice as a parent to know the staff that is caring for their child.

It is also a great way to build family relations and connections with the kids you are working with.

I am sure you will do just fine (or the center wouldn't have hired you ) so try not to worry too much.

The only real advice I have for anyone starting something new is to just keep a positive attitude. Nothing in life is easy and if you approach everything from a positive angle and with a smile on your face, it will always be ok.

Good luck!
bunnyslippers 02:32 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well, I think it is fantastic that you are male and interested in a career in early childhood!

Just like children need good nutrition and education, they need good male role models as well.

As for changing diapers, I usually change kids about every 2-3 hours depending on age. Since you are working with approximately 10 kids and each of those kids would need to be changed every 2-3 hours, you will probably end up changing between 30 and 40 diapers a day based on an 8.5 hour day.

Of course, things do happen that require changing outside of that estimate but that's as approximate as I've got.

One thing you could do in regards to starting your new job is talk with your director and see if it would be possible for you to write up a short "About Me" type introduction, talking about you and your interests both professionally and personally and see if you can distribute this to the parents' of the children you are working with.

It is always nice as a parent to know the staff that is caring for their child.

It is also a great way to build family relations and connections with the kids you are working with.

I am sure you will do just fine (or the center wouldn't have hired you ) so try not to worry too much.

The only real advice I have for anyone starting something new is to just keep a positive attitude. Nothing in life is easy and if you approach everything from a positive angle and with a smile on your face, it will always be ok.

Good luck!
Couldn't have said it better myself! All great tips! Congratulations on your new job ~ I hope you have a great first day!!!!
daycare 02:36 PM 05-03-2013
YES!! I have a male asst in my in home daycare and I LOVE him.

are you going to be working at an in-home??
AmyKidsCo 04:10 PM 05-03-2013
I change at least every 2 hours. I hate to say it, but because you're a male you need to CYA more than a female would. Make sure you're changing the babies in a public space so no-one has reason to suspect anything and try not to be alone with a child in a secluded place.

The next step, IMO is to get yourself some education! Contact your local CCRR to see if they have classes and to see what the local early childhood organizations are, look online for webinars, and watch for local college classes in early childhood.

Children definitely need good male role models, and you obviously desire to do a good job, so I think the children in your care are lucky kids!
Blackcat31 04:24 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I change at least every 2 hours. I hate to say it, but because you're a male you need to CYA more than a female would. Make sure you're changing the babies in a public space so no-one has reason to suspect anything and try not to be alone with a child in a secluded place.

The next step, IMO is to get yourself some education! Contact your local CCRR to see if they have classes and to see what the local early childhood organizations are, look online for webinars, and watch for local college classes in early childhood.

Children definitely need good male role models, and you obviously desire to do a good job, so I think the children in your care are lucky kids!
OP is a current ECE student and got hired at a daycare center.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62098
Cradle2crayons 04:26 PM 05-03-2013
I tank it's great too and I love to see good strong male role models in child care. I agree with all the other advice, even about CYA. There are some parents who may be uncomfortable with you at first, and just let them know you respect that. Once they get to know you, I'm sure it will work out just fine. Some parents do associate a label to males in the child care profession. Don't get your feelings hurt if you are confronted. I love the idea of doing the about me thing. Some parents may truly wonder WHY you are in the Childcare profession at all. To be honest, where I'm from, it's a little different and in some places unheard of haha. Just keep an open mind.

And wow, never changed a diaper!! I'm sure in a week you'll be a pro at it.
rmc20021 04:37 PM 05-03-2013
Just go in, be yourself, have fun and stay active...whether it's entertaining/ playing with the kids or helping them work on projects. Try to stay one step ahead without waiting to be told to do something. Don't be afraid to ask if you are unsure of anything. And I would suggest that whatever techniques the lead teacher uses to follow her lead and not try to change things. If you think something may work better another way, suggest it and let the teacher make the decision whether it's something they would like to implement into the program.

Lead teachers become obsessive in their classrooms and don't like someone else coming in to change things.

Years ago I started working at a center as an assistant. After my first day, something happened to where the lead teacher was no longer there and I was left to sub on my own...which was great because I'm a take charge kind of person and I just had so much fun with the kids. I used the teachers lesson plans, but felt more free to also work my own thoughts into the day.

A week later (and still no teacher), the director came in and told me she had been watching me with the kids and wanted me to be a lead teacher. This was in Texas and apparently at least at that time there was no formal training needed. In MI where I was originally from you had to be certified so I was shocked to be asked.

I have the feeling you're going to do a wonderful job.
AmyKidsCo 06:34 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OP is a current ECE student and got hired at a daycare center.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62098
Oops, I read "I've had some experience with children before (from babysitting), but nothing like this, and I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous." and didn't realize he was an ECE student.

At the same time, there's no such thing as too much education.
Pineapple 11:33 AM 05-04-2013
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's all very helpful and I don't feel so nervous anymore. I'm just going to try to keep active and follow the teacher's lead. And I really like the "About Me" suggestion. Sounds like a good way to introduce myself very quickly to all the parents (and of course I'd introduce myself in person as well).

Originally Posted by daycare:
YES!! I have a male asst in my in home daycare and I LOVE him.

are you going to be working at an in-home??
That's great! I'll be working at a fairly large center. I would've liked to work at a home daycare, but I couldn't find anyone near me looking for an assistant.

Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
And wow, never changed a diaper!! I'm sure in a week you'll be a pro at it.
Haha, if Blackcat31's estimation is correct, I might be a pro at it by the end of my first day.
earlystart 04:07 PM 05-04-2013
My first ECE job was as an assistant teacher for 2 year olds at a center. I hadn't ever changed a diaper either. Tips: once you lay them down, bend their knees so their feet are flat on the changing table. Pull their pants down around their ankles, and use the pants between their feet as a handle to pull their legs up. If they've been outside in the sand, be careful because sand from their shoes or pants cuffs will dump out in their eyes. Use the top half of the diaper to wipe most of the poop off and fold the diaper down in half to cover most of the poop. Don't be afraid to get in there with the wipes, you don't want to leave any poo behind in the cracks and crevices . With pee diapers, most people I know don't wipe, but it's up to you and the school's policies.
Patches 03:16 AM 05-05-2013
Originally Posted by Pineapple:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It's all very helpful and I don't feel so nervous anymore. I'm just going to try to keep active and follow the teacher's lead. And I really like the "About Me" suggestion. Sounds like a good way to introduce myself very quickly to all the parents (and of course I'd introduce myself in person as well).

That's great! I'll be working at a fairly large center. I would've liked to work at a home daycare, but I couldn't find anyone near me looking for an assistant.

Haha, if Blackcat31's estimation is correct, I might be a pro at it by the end of my first day.
Oh it is Lots of diapers in your future
MamaBearCanada 07:41 AM 05-05-2013
I'm sure they went over this, but just a reminder that when changing diapers for the girls it is really important to only wipe front to back so that they don't get an infection.
Cradle2crayons 07:50 AM 05-05-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I'm sure they went over this, but just a reminder that when changing diapers for the girls it is really important to only wipe front to back so that they don't get an infection.
And wipe between the folds too!!! I have a chubby one and you have to be sure you get it out of the crevices. I can tell you as a parent if I picked up my daughter and found dried poop between her folds I would be angry lol.

And not trying to tmi here but with little boys they can get poo on their front privates too and sometimes it takes more than a few wipes to get the shaft clean. Sometimes it is necessary to gently but firmly hold the tip with your non dominant hand and wipe the shaft very good. It never fails my sibling group boy has poo more in the front than back lol. Sorry not trying to be gross but its reality.

Also be sure you check forms and you know your info on every child. Some parents want diaper cream or something put on with every diaper change. If that's the case, be sure you know that.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:24 AM 05-06-2013
Hey, let us know how your first day went when you get off today!
I'm kind of put off by why an assistant should get stuck with all the diapers? I thought an assistant was supposed to "assist" not just get the dirty jobs the lead teacher doesn't want haha. I should have taken advantage of that! When I had an assistant at a church daycare I used to work out, we'd just take turns with the diaper changes. Whoever noticed, or whoever had a second to do it. Obviously if I was busy with an art project and the assistant was just doing some clean up, they'd do diaper duty, but other times I'd just be playing with one of the toddlers while the assistant was up to her elbows, so I'd take the little one for their diaper change.

Hope you had a great first day OP!
crazydaycarelady 07:00 AM 05-06-2013
I have not had time to read all of the responses but as someone who has an assistant I would offer this:

Please don't check your phone incessantly (like every 2 minutes.)

Jump in and help, don't wait to be told or asked every task, especially tasks that take place every single day.

If nothing is going on, engage this kids in a game, read a book, etc. Don't just sit there.

Good luck - you'll do great!
Pineapple 07:55 PM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Hey, let us know how your first day went when you get off today!
I'm kind of put off by why an assistant should get stuck with all the diapers? I thought an assistant was supposed to "assist" not just get the dirty jobs the lead teacher doesn't want haha. I should have taken advantage of that! When I had an assistant at a church daycare I used to work out, we'd just take turns with the diaper changes. Whoever noticed, or whoever had a second to do it. Obviously if I was busy with an art project and the assistant was just doing some clean up, they'd do diaper duty, but other times I'd just be playing with one of the toddlers while the assistant was up to her elbows, so I'd take the little one for their diaper change.

Hope you had a great first day OP!
Thanks. I did! It was fun. Exhausting too though. I will sleep well tonight! And I think I did well for my first day, and the teacher likes the "About Me" pamphlet idea as well, so I'm going to make something like that soon.

And I think our diaper-changing procedure is similar to your church daycare's. The teacher helped change some of them, but I definitely changed most of them. The way I had it explained to me is that "diaper changes are one of the primary responsibilities of the assistant." I figured that was the way most daycares do it, but maybe not? By the way, I tried keeping track of how many diapers I changed, just to be able to answer my own question, but I lost count at some point. Suffice it to say, I changed more than enough.
Reply Up