Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Payer
lovemykidstoo 10:26 AM 06-16-2018
So I get paid every other week. I have one parent with 2 children here. This is the same family that in the past week or so I posted that they bring the Kool aid in the cups and I told them to stop. Mom came Friday and picked up kids, sat in the driveway and talked to me for 20 minutes. Later that night doing my books I realize she didn't pay. It gets confusing, some pay on Thursday, some auto pay, some pay Friday morning, some pay Friday at pickup. Depends on when their last day of the week is. So sometimes I lose track of who hasn't paid until I do books Friday night. So I put a statement on my daycare fb page that if it's slipped anyone's mind today is payday, I'm leaving for a party, but you can put it in the basket on the front porch with the $10 late fee. She sees it because I can see who read it and there's no payment when I get home. So this morning I PM her and tell her that she has not paid yet. I PM her because i can see if she's read it and a text I can't. She has not looked at it. I know she has messanger on FB because I sent out a group message yesterday for something else and she read it. It's $280.

to give you some history, I've had her daughter for not quite 2 years. She had her 2nd baby April 2017 and said she was going to bring him late summer last year, then she put it off until October. Then decided not to bring him then so I filled that spot. The first of the year she wanted to bring him and I told her I didn't have room, she was mad.
Ended up with room for him in March. Then I have 2 other moms that had babies this spring. They've been here longer than her, so I tell her in the fall, I wont' have room for her youngest for about 6 weeks due to a new babies coming. She's mad, but I say they've been here longer than her, they get first dibs. So now this with the late payment. She has late paid before, but messaged me right away and made arrangements. IMO she definitely knows she didn't pay after I posted that on FB and is ignoring my PM.

thoughts? I am not a tough person when it comes to things like this. What I'd like to do and what I will do are 2 different things lol. I can't fill her spots until the end of August, so how would you handle this? I refuse to send a 3rd communication to her about the payment. She knows, she's not fooling me.
rosieteddy 01:39 PM 06-16-2018
I would send one last email to her only.Tell her tuition due at drop off Monday with late fee or no daycare.Where did the little one end up?Hope you have last two weeks tuition from her if needed.
mamamanda 03:13 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So I get paid every other week. I have one parent with 2 children here. This is the same family that in the past week or so I posted that they bring the Kool aid in the cups and I told them to stop. Mom came Friday and picked up kids, sat in the driveway and talked to me for 20 minutes. Later that night doing my books I realize she didn't pay. It gets confusing, some pay on Thursday, some auto pay, some pay Friday morning, some pay Friday at pickup. Depends on when their last day of the week is. So sometimes I lose track of who hasn't paid until I do books Friday night. So I put a statement on my daycare fb page that if it's slipped anyone's mind today is payday, I'm leaving for a party, but you can put it in the basket on the front porch with the $10 late fee. She sees it because I can see who read it and there's no payment when I get home. So this morning I PM her and tell her that she has not paid yet. I PM her because i can see if she's read it and a text I can't. She has not looked at it. I know she has messanger on FB because I sent out a group message yesterday for something else and she read it. It's $280.

to give you some history, I've had her daughter for not quite 2 years. She had her 2nd baby April 2017 and said she was going to bring him late summer last year, then she put it off until October. Then decided not to bring him then so I filled that spot. The first of the year she wanted to bring him and I told her I didn't have room, she was mad.
Ended up with room for him in March. Then I have 2 other moms that had babies this spring. They've been here longer than her, so I tell her in the fall, I wont' have room for her youngest for about 6 weeks due to a new babies coming. She's mad, but I say they've been here longer than her, they get first dibs. So now this with the late payment. She has late paid before, but messaged me right away and made arrangements. IMO she definitely knows she didn't pay after I posted that on FB and is ignoring my PM.

thoughts? I am not a tough person when it comes to things like this. What I'd like to do and what I will do are 2 different things lol. I can't fill her spots until the end of August, so how would you handle this? I refuse to send a 3rd communication to her about the payment. She knows, she's not fooling me.
As for payment, I would do like rosieteddy suggested & said a final message only to dcm. Make sure she knows you can't take kids into care w/o payment on Monday.

I guess I'm confused on the issue with care for her baby. Are you already providing care, but need to cancel care for 6 weeks while starting a new baby? If I'm understanding that correctly, as dcm I would probably be upset too. If her child is already acclimated to your care then you're asking him to adjust to other care for 6 weeks & then adjust again when coming back.

Even if the other family has been with you longer a current dcb should trump a new one Imo. I would tell the new dcb that you won't have a spot available until such & such date instead of moving a currently enrolled kid to make room. But if she doesn't pay up it won't matter anyway! Either way, I hope she pays you what she owes you & doesn't cause you stress!
lovemykidstoo 03:41 PM 06-16-2018
Update: I just got home and the check was in the basket with a $10 late fee. No communication from her at all.

The issue with her youngest coming here stemmed from I had her daughter since August of 2016. Then she had the 2nd child in April of 2017. He was supposed to come summer 2017 and she changed her mind, but the little girl still came. Then he was supposed to come in October and she changed her mind. In the meantime I have 2 other current daycare moms get pregnant. After she cancelled him coming twice and no date in sight for him to come, I told the other 2 families that I would fit them in. I was not going to invest in a 3rd time she would cancel him coming. So then she wanted him to come in January and at that time the schedule I did not have room. I told her that he could start in March, but in the fall I would have to bump him out for a bit because when she cancelled twice, I committed to sure things. If she would have brought him when she said she was going to the first or even the 2nd time, we wouldnt' have this problem. Add on to the fact that this is the 3rd at least time that she has forgotten to pay me. The other 2 families have never done that.

I should also add that she works until and her husband goes in at 2:30 to work. So 2 days a week, he brings the kids here. The other 3 days a week, he takes the kids to her work and she works the additional 30 minutes and goes home.
mamamanda 01:53 PM 06-17-2018
Update: I just got home and the check was in the basket with a $10 late fee. No communication from her at all.

The issue with her youngest coming here stemmed from I had her daughter since August of 2016. Then she had the 2nd child in April of 2017. He was supposed to come summer 2017 and she changed her mind, but the little girl still came. Then he was supposed to come in October and she changed her mind. In the meantime I have 2 other current daycare moms get pregnant. After she cancelled him coming twice and no date in sight for him to come, I told the other 2 families that I would fit them in. I was not going to invest in a 3rd time she would cancel him coming. So then she wanted him to come in January and at that time the schedule I did not have room. I told her that he could start in March, but in the fall I would have to bump him out for a bit because when she cancelled twice, I committed to sure things. If she would have brought him when she said she was going to the first or even the 2nd time, we wouldnt' have this problem. Add on to the fact that this is the 3rd at least time that she has forgotten to pay me. The other 2 families have never done that.

I should also add that she works until and her husband goes in at 2:30 to work. So 2 days a week, he brings the kids here. The other 3 days a week, he takes the kids to her work and she works the additional 30 minutes and goes home.
With that additional info I completely understand why you need to work the other babies in. Sounds like she knew this when you started him in March so she has no room to be angry. She doesn't sound like the most responsible dcm if she changes start dates repeatedly and forgets to pay frequently. Glad she paid you, but sorry you have to deal with all that. Good grief. Why can't parents just follow what is outlined in our contracts?
lovemykidstoo 03:27 PM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
With that additional info I completely understand why you need to work the other babies in. Sounds like she knew this when you started him in March so she has no room to be angry. She doesn't sound like the most responsible dcm if she changes start dates repeatedly and forgets to pay frequently. Glad she paid you, but sorry you have to deal with all that. Good grief. Why can't parents just follow what is outlined in our contracts?
This part is what made it pretty easy to tell her that I couldn't watch him for 6 weeks and actually I'm not really sure I have 2 days a week for him after that. It may just be 1. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they didn't come back tomorrow. I did receive a response to my fb post that I posted on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. I posted that and then Saturday morning sent her a private message. I got no communication until last night (Saturday night) at 11:00 pm. This is what she wrote. "It totally slipped my mind that it was pay day friday. So sorry about that but i did drop a check off and placed it in the wicker basket today around 3:30pm. Let me know if you got it."

So no communication at 3:30 when she dropped it off and she never looked at the private message, so obviously she saw the message Friday at 7:00 p.m. and didn't contact me at all and didn't pay until 3:30 Saturday. Wonder if the check will bounce. They typically pay me in cash. If that check bounces we're done.
MyAngels 07:26 PM 06-17-2018
If I'm ever in doubt about whether a check will clear I always take it to the bank it's drawn on and cash it. I've surprised one or two people over the years by doing that (I presume they were counting on the "float" ).
knoxmomof2 09:07 PM 06-17-2018
After doing this for a few years, I have gone to the "no pay, no stay" method. I tell them at the interview that my big issues are respect for my time, communicating with me if anything changes and paying me on time. I expect payment by 9 PM Sunday night for the week.

I get paid via PayPal, so I check at 8:50 and if no payment, I text a reminder at 9. If they walk in the next morning and they haven't paid, they would be told that I haven't received payment and I would expect action. Hasn't happened yet, but I won't have a problem doing it. I started out being paid cash and being paid late. I hated having to bug people about payment. I eventually realized that I shouldn't have to beg for my pay - they certainly don't have to beg me to be open on time, be dependable and care for their child.

In your case, I would let them know that you will be sending them a payment reminder at x time the night before payment is due and what will happen beyond that. Just set alarms for yourself for the evenings before the different payments are due. I don't accept checks anymore either. Electronic payment is so nice and so easy to track 😊
amberrose3dg 03:48 AM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
After doing this for a few years, I have gone to the "no pay, no stay" method. I tell them at the interview that my big issues are respect for my time, communicating with me if anything changes and paying me on time. I expect payment by 9 PM Sunday night for the week.

I get paid via PayPal, so I check at 8:50 and if no payment, I text a reminder at 9. If they walk in the next morning and they haven't paid, they would be told that I haven't received payment and I would expect action. Hasn't happened yet, but I won't have a problem doing it. I started out being paid cash and being paid late. I hated having to bug people about payment. I eventually realized that I shouldn't have to beg for my pay - they certainly don't have to beg me to be open on time, be dependable and care for their child.

In your case, I would let them know that you will be sending them a payment reminder at x time the night before payment is due and what will happen beyond that. Just set alarms for yourself for the evenings before the different payments are due. I don't accept checks anymore either. Electronic payment is so nice and so easy to track 😊

I do not do late! Do not pick up late and do not PAY late. I used to be understanding about forgetting blah blah. I ended up having a parent being late virtually every single week for months. Even though I was paid weekly she always forgot. Every single damn week. I felt like saying either you have a brain tumor or you are just disrespectful and have no consideration for my rules. I hit her with a huge late fee as she forget to pay all week when payment was due. On Friday she ended up owing almost as much as her daycare was.(before and after care) She ended up pulling him and having a neighbor care for him. I now see this little 5 year old boy walking in rain storms etc.. to the other side of our development alone or with an 8 year old. It is sad what parents will do to save a buck.
lovemykidstoo 04:42 AM 06-18-2018
I am kicking myself because I didn't write down the other times she was late. They come today (only 2 day a weekers), so it probably will be awkward, but I'm still ticked because I do the deposit app on my phone where you take a pic of the check and it goes into your acct. Well, as of right now (7:40 a.m. Monday) it's not in my account. So I'm supposed to wait until Monday instead of Friday to get paid and pay MY bills! She's gonna get an earful. She doesn't like it, hit the bricks.

With Paypal and things like that, doesn't it take a bit to transfer to your bank account though? I know it would hit on Friday if they did the transfer before Friday, but she doesn't get paid until Friday so she couldn't do it ahead of time.
lovemykidstoo 09:53 AM 06-18-2018
So dad dropped off and said did dcm pay you because I just tried taking money out and it said it was at it's limit. I said, what does that mean? he repeated it. I said, yes I got her payment Saturday night at 11;00. I must have had a crap look on my face because he said, yea that's the look I had on my face too when I found out she didn't pay you. I call BS! I posted that on the fb Friday at 7:00 p.m. and she doesn't drop it off until 3:30 on Saturday and doesn't TELL me she dropped it off until 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. I told him in not so nice of a tone, it makes it very difficult to pay my bills on Friday night when I don't get paid on time. Then to top it all off, their youngest tipped his high chair over because he put his feet on the table thing underneath. Give me strength
amberrose3dg 01:13 PM 06-18-2018
So dad dropped off and said did dcm pay you because I just tried taking money out and it said it was at it's limit. I said, what does that mean? he repeated it. I said, yes I got her payment Saturday night at 11;00. I must have had a crap look on my face because he said, yea that's the look I had on my face too when I found out she didn't pay you. I call BS! I posted that on the fb Friday at 7:00 p.m. and she doesn't drop it off until 3:30 on Saturday and doesn't TELL me she dropped it off until 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. I told him in not so nice of a tone, it makes it very difficult to pay my bills on Friday night when I don't get paid on time. Then to top it all off, their youngest tipped his high chair over because he put his feet on the table thing underneath. Give me strength
Oh yeah I can see this not working out.
lovemykidstoo 01:27 PM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Oh yeah I can see this not working out.
I know right? ugh!! Thank God I don't have them again until Friday. I pray that check bounces. That will be the end of it lol
lovemykidstoo 02:15 PM 06-18-2018
Jesus bad enough I had to deal with dad this morning, now mom just picked up. She gets out at 3:00, picks up at 5:00. Like I'm already not irritated enough with her lol. Comes in and flaps about how the kids did today (they fought like cats and dogs), they're brother and sister. Then right before she leaves she says Oh, I'm sorry about being late on the payment and says I remembered and then I forgot and stupidly kinda laughs. Waiting for me to say oh that's ok. Nope, I said, yea it made it really hard to pay my bills Friday night. Then I said that I would be putting reminders on my facebook page next time. She said ugh it was just a bad week. Is said I would agree with that. Dumbass.

Oh did I mention that dad forgot the diaper bag today so I had to bum diapers off other people? I've told her so many times to just leave diapers and wipes here. Now she will be doing that. I insisted today.
amberrose3dg 02:29 PM 06-18-2018
Jesus bad enough I had to deal with dad this morning, now mom just picked up. She gets out at 3:00, picks up at 5:00. Like I'm already not irritated enough with her lol. Comes in and flaps about how the kids did today (they fought like cats and dogs), they're brother and sister. Then right before she leaves she says Oh, I'm sorry about being late on the payment and says I remembered and then I forgot and stupidly kinda laughs. Waiting for me to say oh that's ok. Nope, I said, yea it made it really hard to pay my bills Friday night. Then I said that I would be putting reminders on my facebook page next time. She said ugh it was just a bad week. Is said I would agree with that. Dumbass.

Oh did I mention that dad forgot the diaper bag today so I had to bum diapers off other people? I've told her so many times to just leave diapers and wipes here. Now she will be doing that. I insisted today.
They sound lovely. I had a family do that and lasted one week.dad kept forgetting to bring diapers or the kid have 1 diaper for 10 hours.
LysesKids 02:47 PM 06-18-2018

The diaper issue would never happen here lol.. I clearly state in my policies that additional fees will be due by pick for each day diapers are not supplied and I have to provide them from my own supply; no pay, no childcare next day either... I have a paragraph in the contract stating ALL FEES must be up to date in order for childcare to be provided.(no pay, no stay... it's not just payments and late fees lol)

I keep a small stash of every size & charge $1 a diaper to get the point across. I have only had to charge one parent in 10 years lol
lovemykidstoo 06:47 PM 06-25-2018
This family just keeps on giving ugh!

Mom picks up today and picks up her one child, dcg is 2 1/2. She says, did she come here with that or get it here from someone or her brother? I said, get what? Her eye looks like she has a black eye under it. As she continues to hold her, I said what? I look at her and I literally see nothing. Mom has a purple shirt on. I said I think it's reflecting off your shirt, I see nothing. So I pick her up, look at her, show her to my husband. We see absolutely nothing. She is a pale child, so of course you can see a bit of darkness under her eyes is all. I'm like what the H!!! If she comes with so much as a scratch next time I'm taking a picture of it. She is giving me the willies.
knoxmomof2 12:23 PM 07-29-2018
With Paypal and things like that, doesn't it take a bit to transfer to your bank account though? I know it would hit on Friday if they did the transfer before Friday, but she doesn't get paid until Friday so she couldn't do it ahead of time.
I used to sell a lot on ebay back around 2007, so I ended up with a PayPal business account and Mastercard debit card. Look into it for your account, I don't know what the requirements are now or anything but it can't hurt.....Y for transfers from your PayPal balance to your bank, you can pay like. 99 and do an immediate transfer or go the free route and it takes somewhere between 24-48 hours depending on your bank. If I do transfer, it generally takes my bank about 24 hours but I predominantly use the debit card so I don't do it very frequently.

If you mean their PayPal account paying your Paypal account, I think it's instantaneous?
Tags:late payment, late payment policy
Reply Up