Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Parents "Parent" Anymore?
Lawson2 02:33 AM 11-09-2018
Hello!

I am wondering your thoughts on this? Do you find parents are parenting, or are they delegating the job to others (as you would some have someone clean your house, mow your lawn, etc...)?

I have been a childcare provider for over 20 years. I feel like parents complain more about not having time for themselves, but yet seem to have more time away from their children than ever before.

I’m just wondering how it is elsewhere....

Some instances that make me feel this way (there are many more, but I’ll share a few)....

*While I was a nanny, a child was sick (he passed out on the pharmacy floor, so really under the weather) and I was already set to do a 12 hour day. The mother pulled me aside to ask if I would stay an extra 3 hours so she wouldn’t miss book club. I would have wished her priority was coming home to her ill child. I declined and she hired a babysitter for the evening.

*While nannying, I was always left with the children for weeks at a time while the parents vacationed, or had time to themselves.

I only provide as-needed childcare now that I am home with my youngest son (and I started a party business on the weekends), so I am not really in that nanny world anymore, but I feel it spills over into daycare life too...

*My girlfriend went to work, but didn’t like her job, so she quit. She has been unemployed for 6 months, but her daughter goes to daycare full time. When I asked her what she is doing with her days she says; getting massages, hiking, having lunch with her husband.

And I know many other people in our area who put their child in full time care and don’t work.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m all for a break. My two children are very comfortable and confident when I leave them occasionally with a sitter. But... with having an 8 and 2 year old, I know how quickly time passes and I cherish these moments. I can’t imagine handing my 2 year old over to someone when I was out hiking and relaxing each week. I find that incredibly selfish.

I grew up with a single working mother, so I understand the need to work and provide for your family. That isn’t what I am talking about here. I’m just addressing the mentality that seems to be taking over...
How kids are in the hands of teachers, childcare providers, coaches, in classes, etc. It leaves little time to actually parent.

Maybe it’s just my area though? 🙃
amberrose3dg 03:25 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Lawson2:
Hello!

I am wondering your thoughts on this? Do you find parents are parenting, or are they delegating the job to others (as you would some have someone clean your house, mow your lawn, etc...)?

I have been a childcare provider for over 20 years. I feel like parents complain more about not having time for themselves, but yet seem to have more time away from their children than ever before.

Some instances that make me feel this way (there are many more, but I’ll share a few)....

*While I was a nanny, a child was sick (he passed out on the pharmacy floor, so really under the weather) and I was already set to do a 12 hour day. The mother pulled me aside to ask if I would stay an extra 3 hours so she wouldn’t miss book club. I would have wished her priority was coming home to her ill child. I declined and she hired a babysitter for the evening.

*While nannying, I was always left with the children for weeks at a time while the parents vacationed, or had time to themselves.

I only provide as-needed childcare now that I am home with my youngest son (and I started a party business on the weekends), so I am not really in that nanny world anymore, but I feel it spills over into daycare life too...

*My girlfriend went to work, but didn’t like her job, so she quit. She has been unemployed for 6 months, but her daughter goes to daycare full time. When I asked her what she is doing with her days she says; getting massages, hiking, having lunch with her husband.

And I know many other people in our area who put their child in full time care and don’t work.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m all for a break. My two children are very comfortable and confident when I leave them occasionally with a sitter. But... with having an 8 and 2 year old, I know how quickly time passes and I cherish these moments. I can’t imagine handing my 2 year old over to someone when I was out hiking and relaxing each week. I find that incredibly selfish.

I grew up with a single working mother, so I understand the need to work and provide for your family. That isn’t what I am talking about here. I’m just addressing the mentality that seems to be taking over...
How kids are in the hands of teachers, childcare providers, coaches, in classes, etc. It leaves little time to actually parent.

Nope, I think it is a problem everywhere and not just where you are, unfortunately. I have parents try to have me pick their kids up from school when I do not keep school-age kids during school hours. That is your job mom or bring me kids that are ill. No matter if it is contagious or not. I am quite sad by the lack of parenting I see. I just had a dad last night oversleep and forget to pick his kid up. Parents are both off on Mondays and their child is here every day until close. Not one day in over a year have they kept him home one day to spend any time with him.
Josiegirl 03:52 AM 11-09-2018
I was told about a mom who keeps popping out kids, she has 5 at current count. She doesn't work, sends every one of her kids to dc, state paid. People who know how to use and abuse the system, will. Oh plus she gets full medical/dental for her kids.

Something is clearly wrong with a system that allows abuse of itself.
Gemma 04:48 AM 11-09-2018
Do you find parents are parenting, or are they delegating the job to others (as you would some have someone clean your house, mow your lawn, etc...)?
The majority of parents that come through my daycare are totally clueless about raising children!

Self respect must be a concept they're not aware of, cause they get hit, insulted and bossed around by their toddlers and seem to think it is just the way it is!
They are way too involved in themselves to even try to put in the time to correct issues, just about all believe temper tantrums is an age thing and will eventually go away on its own, and so they baby their kids to no end so they don't have to change a thing etc etc.

I feel bad for the children, in a way they're led to believe by their parents that all is about them, that they are the center of their parent's world, yet mom and dad give them zero chances to prove themselves worth and want less and less time around them...and this is IMHO is one of the reasons they demand our (providers) constant attention
Flowerchild 05:24 AM 11-09-2018
Hello!

I have parents who come in with kids on their days off and don't come until 5 to pick them up 😡 or keep o e kid home and keep the other.at day care 🤔
amberrose3dg 06:18 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
I have parents who come in with kids on their days off and don't come until 5 to pick them up 😡 or keep o e kid home and keep the other.at day care 🤔
DCB was forgotten dad overslept yesterday was 40 minutes late picking up. Kid is dropped off by both parents this morning and they are both off! I guarantee he is here until close today. They are late today I will terminate on the spot.
Unregistered 06:22 AM 11-09-2018
I have a couple moms who I would put in this category.
One dcm complains every morning about how difficult and whiny her 21 month old is (he isn't like that for me and I don't think she believes me when I tell her.) And that she never gets a break (even though she drops him off around 7:00 and doesn't pick up until after 5:00.) There have been several days where she brings him to me even though she doesn't have to work.
Other dcm is kind of a mess. She has a 2 yo and a 15 month old. I still remember that she had President's Day off, but I was open. She was going to bring them in to have a day to herself, but decided last minute to keep them home because of the weather. The next day all I heard was her complaining about how hard her day was, that she can't handle them and that she is never doing that again. She doesn't bring them anywhere with her unless she has to. I was so shocked she said that out loud. I LOVE spending time with just me and my boys, so I will never understand why someone would rather dump them off then spend quality time with their kids. I also had to train her oldest to use a bottle (BIG mistake, I have learned so much since I first started). She would tell me that no one in her house wanted to listen to him scream, so she would give in and BF him. So, I was the one having to listen him to him scream while trying to get him to take a bottle. I also had to add a potty training policy because I knew she was going to expect me to do the majority of potty training.
Next summer, I'm thinking about taking a couple Friday's off a month to spend time with my own kids.
amberrose3dg 06:25 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One dcm complains every morning about how difficult and whiny her 21 month old is (he isn't like that for me and I don't think she believes me when I tell her.) And that she never gets a break (even though she drops him off around 7:00 and doesn't pick up until after 5:00.) There have been several days where she brings him to me even though she doesn't have to work.
Other dcm is kind of a mess. She has a 2 yo and a 15 month old. I still remember that she had President's Day off, but I was open. She was going to bring them in to have a day to herself, but decided last minute to keep them home because of the weather. The next day all I heard was her complaining about how hard her day was, that she can't handle them and that she is never doing that again. She doesn't bring them anywhere with her unless she has to. I was so shocked she said that out loud. I LOVE spending time with just me and my boys, so I will never understand why someone would rather dump them off then spend quality time with their kids. I also had to train her oldest to use a bottle (BIG mistake, I have learned so much since I first started). She would tell me that no one in her house wanted to listen to him scream, so she would give in and BF him. So, I was the one having to listen him to him scream while trying to get him to take a bottle. I also had to add a potty training policy because I knew she was going to expect me to do the majority of potty training.
Next summer, I'm thinking about taking a couple Friday's off a month to spend time with my own kids.
Do it!
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 11-09-2018
Honestly, I don't think parents really know "how" to parent.

Support and encouragement from others, validates the expectation of "me time" so there is no shame or guilt attached. If there is guilt, it's used as a method of gaining attention for themselves and is rarely about real guilt of not being able to be with your child.

Parents today hardly know how to care for themselves let alone their children. It's not their fault.

I educate/assist/support those parents that truly try and leave the rest. It's their circus and their monkeys.
Unregistered 07:03 AM 11-09-2018
I've had parents take their kids bday off..and and them to daycare. I have never had so many kids that have needed early intervention services...because their parents don't take them any where or give them experiences...these kids don't know HOW to play or act in public..they're put in front of screens aa soon as they get home. Speech therapy 5x a week for one child...3.5 yrs old...parents give her a pacifier upon pick up. Doesn't have it here at all. Same with 2 yr old...mom says she just can't say no. Screens in the car for a 15 min ride home...parents only do what is easiest for them...and the government caters to it...early intervention..school breakfasts..subsidized daycare. What happened to a parents responsibility?? Just had parents ask if I would open an hour earlier so they could go to the gym....NO. put your kids in a wagon and run around the block...they'd love it and I can guarentee you'll burn more calories than a treadmill. These are the same kids that are here 9.5 hrs a day..and mom.and dad are home.
Josiegirl 09:38 AM 11-09-2018
After reading about some of your situations, all I can say is UGH. Some parents are so spoiled, selfish and entitled. Producing a generation of insecure, unloved(or feeling unloved AND unworthy)little beings who will grow into children/adolescents/adults who are crying and begging for attention and love in all the wrong places. How can people truly want children, then not want to care for them???? I can see if they don't know how, then get help, take parenting classes, something!! I had no clue when I was a new mom. But my child was the center of my world! And every single child after that! Sure, I made tons of mistakes as a mom but they knew I always loved them and wanted to be with them.
Ariana 10:38 AM 11-09-2018
I currently do not have parents like this but have had them in the past. I also have a friend like this. Her and her husband were both off not working while their child went to daycare and she would still complain to me...then cried when he went to kinder My sister is similar as well. My niece went to before and afterschool care while my sister was unemployed spending her time posting on FB and taking selfies. My sister is nearly 50!

People today are very lazy and expect other people to deal with their problems. Parenting IS hard so they don’t want to do it.
Unregistered 11:53 AM 11-09-2018
Nope, parents do not parent anymore. I currently care for a 11 month old baby. I am pretty sure this baby would live at my house if the parents could find a way to convince me to keep her. They are selfish. It is all about them and their needs, who gets to go do stuff minus baby ect. They are in denial or something. The thing that blows my mind most is these parents of this baby tried for years to have her. Another family I provided care for let their kids get so out of hand that I had to term because I could not help or even tolerate the bad behaviors of the kids and parents. I could go on and on. But no, parents are stupid these days.
Meeko 12:17 PM 11-09-2018
I hate seeing posts on FB, with parents gushing about their kids..photos etc. They pose as parents of the year and lap up all the "OH, I don't know how you do it, Super Mom!" comments from their friends.

I feel like writing..."She does it by leaving her kids with ME 10-12 hours a day". Her posts are written as if her children are her life and she does soooo much with them. NOPE! Just a few highlights and then rushed back to my house.
Unregistered 12:52 PM 11-09-2018
Meeko I totally see this too! I have a family right now and the mom owns her own business. She makes her own hours and the whole point was so she could work part time and have her kids with me two days a week. At first it was great but then she slowly started asking me for more and more days. Now her kids are here full time. Some days she only has 2-3 clients but never ever picks them up early or takes days off with them. Every Friday night she has a girls night and the kids are frequently at her parents house for the whole weekend. She takes Mondays off for herself. Recently she was promoting her business and I noticed her sell herself as a stay at home mom who works part time to support her family. Then she posted a celebration post on her business page to announce her two years in business. She thanked her “family and friends” for all of their support and her clients. Not once thanking me or her daycare provider (who ACTUALLY is the reason she has a business). It is like the pretend mommy schtick is just way too good! I don’t really care I just find it hilarious!! Like no you are not a struggling stay at home mom trying to make ends meet. Give me a break.

My husbands coworker brags about how little time she spends with her son. They go away for weekends and weeks pretty regularly and leaves her son with her parents. One time she told my husband that they got back Sunday morning after a week away but were too tired to go pick the kid up so they didn’t see him until Monday evening after school. They took the Monday off.
LittleExplorers 12:56 PM 11-09-2018
I guess I am lucky. I have great parents who spend time with their kids. Sometimes even grandma or grandpa picks up early or spends a day with them even though I am still being paid for the day. Maybe it's their role models or the way they were raised. Once in a while a parent takes a partial day or a day for themselves, but we all need a little break here and there and they usually pickup early and or drop off late.
Firefly 12:59 PM 11-10-2018
I see this all the time. I used to think it was only my families but that seems to be the trend. I worked outside the home for about a week when my daughter was little and I couldn’t wait to pick her up from daycare. I ended up starting my own daycare so I could be home with my kids.
LK5kids 04:37 AM 11-11-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I was told about a mom who keeps popping out kids, she has 5 at current count. She doesn't work, sends every one of her kids to dc, state paid. People who know how to use and abuse the system, will. Oh plus she gets full medical/dental for her kids.

Your state pays for welfare parents to send their kids to DC? That doesn't seem possible! I live in WI and the state did away with welfare almost 20 years ago. You have kids and need $$$ -you go to work. There is a 2 mo. Maternity leave payment of sorts but it's set up to work against the new mom.

I worked with very high risk families (mainly women) and it was a lot of hoop jumping to even get those two months. We do have health coverage for parents and kids, of course there is city and county housing that helps families but that can be difficult to get in to. And there is food share ( food stamps ) but wow day care for welfare families = crazy!

Sorry, high jacked the thread a bit!
Ariana 09:30 AM 11-11-2018
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Your state pays for welfare parents to send their kids to DC? That doesn't seem possible! I live in WI and the state did away with welfare almost 20 years ago. You have kids and need $$$ -you go to work. There is a 2 mo. Maternity leave payment of sorts but it's set up to work against the new mom.

I worked with very high risk families (mainly women) and it was a lot of hoop jumping to even get those two months. We do have health coverage for parents and kids, of course there is city and county housing that helps families but that can be difficult to get in to. And there is food share ( food stamps ) but wow day care for welfare families = crazy!

If you have, or can fake a mental illness you are golden! I don’t mean to trivialize mental illness but I personally know someone taking advantage of the system big time.
Ariana 09:32 AM 11-11-2018
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I see this all the time. I used to think it was only my families but that seems to be the trend. I worked outside the home for about a week when my daughter was little and I couldn’t wait to pick her up from daycare. I ended up starting my own daycare so I could be home with my kids.
I think this is why it is hard for us to understand. Nearly all of us gave up good careers outside of the home to stay home with our kids. Going to work was unbearable. I think DCPs are a special breed of parent for sure
Josiegirl 02:15 PM 11-11-2018

I didn't think they did either but I know PT dc is 1-25 hrs., anything over 25 hrs is ft. So she probably has some loophole such as job searching? I don't know. She can use up to 25 hrs. and have it paid PT. This came from the food program sponsor so it's hearsay; I don't know the person.
BumbleBee 03:47 PM 11-11-2018
It depends. I have a few who parent, I have a few who want me to believe they parent, and I have a few who don't parent.

Jmo but I think a majority of my current parents had/have this idea of how their kids/family/life will be and when life doesn't follow their plan they either double down or hop on whatever bandwagon is going down the road at the time. They don't make small adjustments, they make big ones. Swinging from one parenting fad to the next. They are creating what they fear and many don't realize it.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:22 PM 11-11-2018

I took a second job in the restaurant industry and it is crazy what people get for assistance. Mom of 3, dad lives in different state(she said he pays no support), and our state pays $900 month in housing vouchers, $1200 a month in daycare during summer, $500 a month in food stamps, all kids are on Medicaid, and during the school year, they get free breakfast/lunch, and she only pays $75 a month for before/after school care(I pay $110 for 2 kids for after school only). She also qualifies for a car repair program to get reduced rates for maintenance. Oh, and she gets almost $12000 in a tax return. She maintains the minimum hours and I imagine she makes sure to only claim the minimum when it comes to tips. There was a point where there was a promotion for her, and she flat out said it would mess with her assistance. Right now, she works about 25-28 hrs a week. In the restaurant world, that's about $600+ per week. How do I know all this? Because she told me and she is the NICEST person ever. She is a really good person, but her entire life has been on assistance, so it's not wierd or shameful(?) to her. It's just her mindset. I am born and raised in ND and I qualify for NOTHING! Not even school lunch! It costs me over $200 a month if my kids ate B, L, and snack at school! And yet she gets thousands a month and she is from Nevada! I'm not sure how she got out of reporting the baby daddy, but she said it's better this way, bc he would never pay and she would be screwed. Sorry for the vent, but this WAY more common than people think! And not to be political, but they ALL vote democratic. No joke.
Unregistered 07:57 AM 11-12-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Same poster here.
DCM B doesn't have to work today, still dropped off her kids at normal time acting like she had to work. I knew she didn't because where she works is closed - I was wondered if she was going to say anything to me on Friday and she didn't. This morning, she told me her her teenager son has double ear infections. I said "Oh no! At least you don't have to work today!"
Totally caught her off guard. Just stared at me for a second with nothing to say.
The crazy thing is that she could have used one of her free days today. But she would rather pay me to watch her 2 kids then stay home with them. Now that she knows I know she's not working, I wonder what time she will pick them up.
I love her kids though, so I'm glad they are here. Like I said earlier, I will never understand why a parent would give up spending time with their children.
MOM OF 4 09:41 AM 11-23-2018

I had dcp's like this too. I feel like they should be imputed to work if they are in the system, OR they need to do community service in order to maintain benefits. The mentality "But it's for the kids" is why the system is easy to abuse. I wouldn't be giving a DIME of child care to anyone not working or providing community service while utilizing daycare services, if I were in the position to delegate welfare out to people. I would want proof of service or proof of working before I would delegate benefits. If the parents are sending kids to others for care anyway, I would find families to adopt said children. It's pretty clear when parents don't want to deal with their own kids. Mine drive me up a wall, and sometimes, I'll send them away to friends' houses (they're teens) before I ring their little necks accidentally, of course! BUT, never in a million years would I send them to daycare every day all day when I am sitting at home
Josiegirl 10:22 AM 11-23-2018
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
I had dcp's like this too. I feel like they should be imputed to work if they are in the system, OR they need to do community service in order to maintain benefits. The mentality "But it's for the kids" is why the system is easy to abuse. I wouldn't be giving a DIME of child care to anyone not working or providing community service while utilizing daycare services, if I were in the position to delegate welfare out to people. I would want proof of service or proof of working before I would delegate benefits. If the parents are sending kids to others for care anyway, I would find families to adopt said children. It's pretty clear when parents don't want to deal with their own kids. Mine drive me up a wall, and sometimes, I'll send them away to friends' houses (they're teens) before I ring their little necks accidentally, of course! BUT, never in a million years would I send them to daycare every day all day when I am sitting at home
I completely agree with making people work, in some form or fashion, if they're on assistance, and qualify for childcare subsidy. Because you just know they're(or most anyways) going to use every penny of it they can.
So many people no longer have the pride that goes along with being a responsible adult, let alone responsible parent. There are many many places to volunteer their time or, as you said, do community service work. But it seems that the system abusers are the ones who cry entitlement the most.
Sweet pea 10:46 AM 11-23-2018
I have a family that has a baby, absolutely spoiled, They have booked 4 weeks off over Christmas, I asked all families to tell me if they needed days over Xmas and guess what.....they’re sending baby in all the way through. This is a new generation of working parents who have these “ trophy babies” so they can dress them up, take instagrams and then pass them off to the nearest person😢 its so sad.
MOM OF 4 02:39 PM 11-23-2018
I completely agree with making people work, in some form or fashion, if they're on assistance, and qualify for childcare subsidy. Because you just know they're(or most anyways) going to use every penny of it they can.
So many people no longer have the pride that goes along with being a responsible adult, let alone responsible parent. There are many many places to volunteer their time or, as you said, do community service work. But it seems that the system abusers are the ones who cry entitlement the most.
So, one time I got a ride from this lady when I broke down. She had children in our same school district. She was whining and complaining about having to work her 15 hours of community service per MONTH. I guess the state had imposed some sort of community service for able-bodied persons. She was most definitely able-bodied--just hates working. She did MORE WORK trying to get out of working! lol She was just incorrigible! I couldn't believe this woman had nerve to gripe at the very people giving her all her freebies, she didn't earn.
Blackcat31 03:31 PM 11-23-2018
So many people no longer have the pride that goes along with being a responsible adult.
This is so profoundly true.
... much to say on topic but can’t right now....
(Just snuck a quick peek at the forum so no time to type)
Ac114 03:40 PM 11-23-2018
I believe in the state of Ohio you must work at least 20 or 25 hours to receive benefits if you are able bodied. I’m not certain but thought this was the case.
amberrose3dg 06:16 AM 11-24-2018
Originally Posted by Sweet pea:
I have a family that has a baby, absolutely spoiled, They have booked 4 weeks off over Christmas, I asked all families to tell me if they needed days over Xmas and guess what.....they’re sending baby in all the way through. This is a new generation of working parents who have these “ trophy babies” so they can dress them up, take instagrams and then pass them off to the nearest person😢 its so sad.
This is why I now close for christmas break. If I didn't I would have a bunch of parents off work sending in their children and having "me" time during the holidays. I want to spend time with my own children so I close.
MOM OF 4 09:30 AM 11-24-2018
It makes me sick what I see on FB with many parents, even some friends (which some I let go).

I had a friend who has "no money" but is constantly going around buying everything that is NOT mortgage, utilities, gas, etc. Then, all her bills are late. I am sorry, but you need to pay your BILLS first!!!

Another friend says she's the mom of all these kids and has to buy this and that because mom won't. Well, she's their stepmom ONLY. NOT THEIR MOM.And, her statement that mom is uninvolved and doesn't pay is FALSE. The MOTHER is still alive and pays for the children's expenses and sees them as much as dad does. Sometimes, the kids spend time at dad's and sometimes at mom's; an equal split! I could not believe that this girl has that kind of nerve to act as if SHE is the sole provider. She also job hops, which is another annoyance.

Another mom I had used to go get her nails, hair, tattoos, piercings (not cheap!), tanning, etc. But couldn't pay her state copay for child care assistance.

I also seem to see the "everything's perfect in my life. I have perfect hair, nails, teeth and children and a GREAT husband and tons of money and look at my food!!!" yet, you know that is just a facade! It's so annoying! I don't usually post much personal info AT ALL. I post funny things and sayings. I am going thru a separation, but I won't put that on FB!
Tags:parent - its a verb
Reply Up