Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is Petty But...Clothes
midaycare 09:24 AM 11-16-2017
Do any of you have something in your handbook about the types of clothes worn to daycare? I have 2 dcfs who currently make it their purpose in life to find every outfit that is impossible for diaper changes. I'm talking strip the kid down naked hard.

Part of me says, eh, the dck is well dressed so let it go. The other part is annoyed because I am a diaper changing machine and this really slows me down.
daycarediva 09:29 AM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Do any of you have something in your handbook about the types of clothes worn to daycare? I have 2 dcfs who currently make it their purpose in life to find every outfit that is impossible for diaper changes. I'm talking strip the kid down naked hard.

Part of me says, eh, the dck is well dressed so let it go. The other part is annoyed because I am a diaper changing machine and this really slows me down.
I don't allow dress shoes, flip flops, overalls, snap bottom pants, onesies, rompers or skinny jeans.

Makes it hard for kids to potty train (age 18m-5), dress themselves, and play in general.
MomBoss 09:34 AM 11-16-2017
Overalls were the most annoying...i usually would keep it off and they would just be in the onesie. I wasnt going to deal with it. I also had a kid who wore dress clothes everyday like he was going to a wedding. I did not feel bad when he went home with his clothes all stained from food and crafts fromthe day
Unregistered 09:36 AM 11-16-2017
We have our kids wear whatever is comfortable and they can play in and the parents not care if it was ruined
Lissa Kristine 09:38 AM 11-16-2017
Um, if it were up to me, no Pampers Easy Ups UNLESS the child has made significant progress towards being toilet-trained and doesn't need to be changed out of a wet pull-up every 1 to 2 hours- I'll accept it for the child who pees, but hasn't mastered pooping in the toilet- otherwise, another brand of pull-ups, or regular diapers.

And PLEASE, Easy Ups are often paired with lace-up boots, tights, belts, and just about any other obstacle you can imagine to make changing them as difficult as possible. How about t-shirts and elastic waistbands on loose-fitting pants?
Gemma 09:42 AM 11-16-2017

I feel your pain, I had an infant that always wore skinny jeans
I don't have anything in my handbook about clothes, I rather just write what's really a must, and deal with smaller annoyances the best I can, so in this case I just change the kid into something easier to take off/put on, until almost time to go home than change back
CityGarden 09:52 AM 11-16-2017
I do have clothing specifications. I do not take babies so my specifications are for 2-5 year olds.... they have to have clothing easy for them to learn and participate in pulling their bottoms up and down (even if they are still in pull ups I have them participate with me during standing diaper changes). They also need clothing that is allow to get dirty with paint, clay, etc. not everything will wash out and I don't want parents to expect me to keep their children clean.

I did have one dcm who was sending her 2.5 son in onies and I started having her a drop off change him into a shirt per the handbook ---- a couple days of that w/ running late for work and she magically stopped bringing dcb in onies.

Over our cubbies and sign in I have a sign for a reminder to parents. Clothes for play and learning and sunblock!
Ariana 10:00 AM 11-16-2017
If the outfit is crazy annoying like overalls I will put them in another pair of pants while they are with me.

I don’t allow fluffy princess dresses and footwear that is dangerous but it is not in my contract I just address it fave to face. Luckily I have only had one parent ever bring their kids in princess dresses and high heels!

Is there any way to remove some of the layers?
storybookending 10:35 AM 11-16-2017
I don’t have a specific policy on clothing. I do list that potty training children must be easy to pull up/down pants. I had a mom that was romper crazy my first summer. Child was still in diapers and it had to come completely off for each change. I wasn’t bothered enough to say anything because it was the summer I started and I wasn’t full by any means. This last summer the child wore no rompers, she is also fully potty trained.

I would just say something to the parent. Or change into their extra clothes and when they ask at pick up say something like “with the amount of diapers I change that outfit really slows down my process and I removed it from the child. It can stay here in her cubby as an extra set of clothes (would only say if child isn’t one to often need to use their extra set) or you can take it home and be sure to bring an outfit change tomorrow to replace the one she’s wearing. It is important that all children are wearing easy to remove clothing in order to change each hold while still adequately supervising then rest.”
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 11-16-2017
Nothing written but I have no issues just leaving some snaps hanging open or just leaving the annoying item off.

If it were something really stupid (one piece sweater outfit with teeny tiny buttons up the legs for a 15 month old) I would just tell the parent the next time they send their child in that particular outfit that they would either be assessed a clothing fee (per diaper change) OR would need to come over every 2 hours and change their own kid. (said with humor but with enough seriousness to mean business)

Their choice.

Daycare is NOT a fashion show.
midaycare 10:44 AM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Is there any way to remove some of the layers?
One of them is a baby, 11 months. I can always change her into an extra outfit. Dcm is a designer, and that extends to fashion. Today was a button down outfit, but the buttons stopped before the crotch, so you literally have to peel the entire outfit off to change a diaper.

My other one is 2 years old. She consistently comes in overalls (2x per week), and skinny jeans. They want her to potty train.

I have other dcf's that are just as clueless about the potty training. If you want your child to potty train, please don't put them in clothes with hard buttons and zippers. How many accidents happen because the kids can't get those off in time? I had my DS in elastic waistbands/athletic pants for 2 years because I didn't want him having a difficult time at school. Then again, I tend to think about those things...
midaycare 10:49 AM 11-16-2017
I feel like y'all are about 50/50 on having a policy. My policy is just to wear play clothes that can get dirty.

Part of me thinks I should just let it go because for the most part, my dcfs are drama free. But...it's an annoyance
Snowmom 10:53 AM 11-16-2017
I don't have a specific policy except for those kids that are potty training.

However...
I require parent supplied back up clothing here. 2 outfits.
If I have issues with clothes (I HATE skinny jeans!!!), then at first diaper change, I'll change them into one of their back up outfits, bag up the one I have issues with and hand it over at pick up TELLING them that the jeans he wore today were too difficult for me to take on and off so I bagged them up and used a spare outfit. Please bring in an outfit tomorrow morning to replenish his supply.

If they forget the next morning, I give them grief for forgetting. Maybe joking, maybe not.
Either way, I make it more work for them and refuse to deal with the PITA clothes all day.

If they bring in spare clothing that is also a PITA, well then, they need a one on one talk about daycare life!
Indoorvoice 11:00 AM 11-16-2017
I don't have anything in writing, but I address it if it becomes an issue. I do what a PP said and will change into one of their extra outfits or use one of my extra outfits and explain why at pickup. Sometimes my little infant boy goes home in my spare cute purple sweatpants because nope, I'm not doing skinny jeans on a chubby 8 month old. I just address it as it comes up!
midaycare 11:05 AM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I don't have a specific policy except for those kids that are potty training.

However...
I require parent supplied back up clothing here. 2 outfits.
If I have issues with clothes (I HATE skinny jeans!!!), then at first diaper change, I'll change them into one of their back up outfits, bag up the one I have issues with and hand it over at pick up TELLING them that the jeans he wore today were too difficult for me to take on and off so I bagged them up and used a spare outfit. Please bring in an outfit tomorrow morning to replenish his supply.

If they forget the next morning, I give them grief for forgetting. Maybe joking, maybe not.
Either way, I make it more work for them and refuse to deal with the PITA clothes all day.

If they bring in spare clothing that is also a PITA, well then, they need a one on one talk about daycare life!
Good strategies!
Pestle 11:53 AM 11-16-2017
The first thing to consider in any design is whether it meets the functional needs of the end user.

DCM is a crappy designer, is what I'm saying.
nannyde 12:20 PM 11-16-2017
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...highlight=bane
midaycare 12:25 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
The first thing to consider in any design is whether it meets the functional needs of the end user.

DCM is a crappy designer, is what I'm saying.

midaycare 12:28 PM 11-16-2017
Happy to know I'm not the only one this bothers
Kind of weird to read old threads when the providers don't post anymore. Miss them!
Ariana 06:30 PM 11-16-2017
I feel like y'all are about 50/50 on having a policy. My policy is just to wear play clothes that can get dirty.

Part of me thinks I should just let it go because for the most part, my dcfs are drama free. But...it's an annoyance
My contract says play clothes and that they will get dirty but some parents don’t care if those cute annoying outfits get dirty so it doesn’t solve the problem like a face to face convo would. I would say something to mom about the shirt being too complicated and time consuming to take off and on...maybe make it about her kid getting super fussy everytime you have to change her or something. For me the princess dresses got in the way of toiletting, same reason my own kid never wears dresses to school.

The worst is clothes that are too big. My family that just left routinely sent their kid in big brothers shorts that continually slipped down throughout the day. They would not listen and kept sending him with them on even when it cause him to have a nasty fall while running outside. So annoying!
midaycare 06:43 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
...maybe make it about her kid getting super fussy everytime you have to change her or something.
I like that!
HappyEverAfter 09:31 PM 11-16-2017
I hate skinny jeans, baby tights, tutu's and baby socks that are too small.
I remove shoes immediately as they arrive because we o lay wear those outside. I have one dcb who is 6mths old whose socks are so small that the heel always falls under the arch of his foot so I take those off immediately as well before they fall off and get lost. Any pants/jeans that don't go on easily don't get put back on and the kid either can just run around in their onesie or back up pants. I occasionally take tights off and leave them off but it depends on the kid because some kids are easier to dress than others.
My official policy just says comfy play clothes that can be messed up.
Tags:clothes, handbook - cloths, policy - cloths, proper attire
Reply Up