Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walk Me Through Your Tour...
originalkat 11:49 AM 06-04-2014
I have done many tours, but sometimes I feel like I need a fresh way of going about it. Give me your ideas and walk me through a typical tour please.
MCC 11:52 AM 06-04-2014
I start by giving them a tour of the daycare. Then we go back to the main playroom, and I let them start with questions. When their questions start to dwindle down, I get out a copy of my policies and go through every one of them. This is when I start to see if the family will work for my program, depending on how they respond/react to my polices.

When we are done, I tell them I will email them a copy of my polices, and they can let me know if they want to be added to my wait list.
Annalee 12:08 PM 06-04-2014
Upon entrance to the foyer, I show them the sign-in/out logs where they will sign in if enrolled. Then I show them the bulletin board, parent resources telling them to keep watch because that is where upcoming events will be posted. Then we come into the daycare which is an open room and I show the bathroom where the changing table, nap things, extra clothes are stored in separate cubbies. We walk on through to the play centers and I explain how we use a play-based curriculum and how learning is happening moment by moment preparing for the next step...kindergarten....then onto the kitchen and how providers can view all while in the kitchen area. I explain about contract/policy/handbook going over it page by page....hitting the MAIN highlights like pay, closings, etc.. Just did this last week and the parent that started today did NOT want to pay till end of July and asked what I would do if she waited and I told I would continue interviewing and she called that evening and said she wanted the spot after her third step in the interview process..... Some interviews are NOT that easy, but this one was!!!!! She is a special ed teacher!
nothingwithoutjoy 12:12 PM 06-04-2014
In the past year or so, I've given over tour duty to the kids. They like to show new families around, and their confidence and ability speak volumes. I follow along and fill in info as needed and answer questions.
MarinaVanessa 01:03 PM 06-04-2014
Here's How I do mine:
http://myhelpinghandsdaycare.blogspo...hat-first.html
playground1 01:37 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Here's How I do mine:
Your website is really nice, I like the colors. But why is your sunshine so angry?
LysesKids 01:44 PM 06-04-2014
See, I go about it in a different manner… I send parents to my website first ( I never give phone # out in ads, just website) ask them to read thru it AND then contact me thru my website. My site has ALL my policies, a page on who I am and my credentials, and it has a RATE/FAQ's page. If they don't like the policies or fees they don't have to contact me and it doesn't waste my time

Once they send me their info, including phone # , I call ASAP to set up a meet & greet. Once they get here I just do a quick tour, we go over any questions they might have and if they want registration paperwork, they need to place the deposit/sign contract; I stopped giving out full packets due to too many not getting returned.

My home is small and it's open concept for main living area… the childcare room is right off living room, so not much to show
originalkat 02:26 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See, I go about it in a different manner… I send parents to my website first ( I never give phone # out in ads, just website) ask them to read thru it AND then contact me thru my website. My site has ALL my policies, a page on who I am and my credentials, and it has a RATE/FAQ's page. If they don't like the policies or fees they don't have to contact me and it doesn't waste my time

Once they send me their info, including phone # , I call ASAP to set up a meet & greet. Once they get here I just do a quick tour, we go over any questions they might have and if they want registration paperwork, they need to place the deposit/sign contract; I stopped giving out full packets due to too many not getting returned.

My home is small and it's open concept for main living area… the childcare room is right off living room, so not much to show
See this is what I am running into. After parents have viewd my website and are interested in a tour, I email them a copy of my parent handbook and a Family Info Sheet to bring with them to the tour. So after I show them around (doesnt take long) and they are already familiar with the policies (I go over the most important ones) then that is it. If they have a lot of questions it is easier. But lately I have had a some who dont have questions so it is a really short tour10-15 minutes. I just dont think it is going too well. Maybe im just not giving enough info during the tour???
LysesKids 03:03 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
See this is what I am running into. After parents have viewd my website and are interested in a tour, I email them a copy of my parent handbook and a Family Info Sheet to bring with them to the tour. So after I show them around (doesnt take long) and they are already familiar with the policies (I go over the most important ones) then that is it. If they have a lot of questions it is easier. But lately I have had a some who dont have questions so it is a really short tour10-15 minutes. I just dont think it is going too well. Maybe im just not giving enough info during the tour???
I have parents tell me that my website covers just about anything they think of plus some they never considered. If they have all the info beforehand then it shouldn't make for a long first get together. I tell parents if they are serious about registering, they have 24 hours to decide, but they don't get the forms til i get that deposit. Most my tours last 30 minutes or so because everything is already done. Now if they come up with questions after they leave and before making a commitment, I just have them email me
Annalee 04:04 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Here's How I do mine:
I like your process! I think the 3-step process eliminates the persons NOT truly interested....I do the initial phone call, an interview after hours, then a playdate, then I call them if it is a good fit! I give the impression taking them as clients and their child entering my program results from MY decision so it kind of gives me the upper hand from the beginning.
originalkat 05:44 AM 06-05-2014
Thank you to all who added input! I used some of the ideas on my tour last night and it went really well!
mia 10:42 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
Your website is really nice, I like the colors. But why is your sunshine so angry?

Reply Up