Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Carseat Issues
Ariana 09:44 AM 03-08-2016
I have a 2 yr old dcg who sometimes gets picked up by grandma. Grandma has back issues so I help her lift dcg into her carseat on the days she picks up. I noticed that the carseat is not installed properly and the straps are way to low. I mention it to grandma who is of course super surprised and says she will fix the issue as she is very concerned for dcg's safety

Fast forward to 3 more pickups and the problem has still not been addressed. I am literally worried for dcg and I feel angry and sad that no one is advocating for this little girl. My husband says I should just take the seat out and fix it for them, but I don't feel it is my place and I also don't want to enable this nonesense.

WWYD in this situation? I remember when I worked at a centre the director called the police on a woman who was not using a carseat properly and she got fined. Not sure I want to go that far but this is very concerning.
sharlan 10:21 AM 03-08-2016
Me personally, I would not put the child back into the carseat until it was properly installed. I would be afraid that in an accident, they would blame me if the child was injured. (You never know what people will do.)

I would probably take it out and install it properly, but then again, you're opening yourself up to liability.
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 03-08-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a 2 yr old dcg who sometimes gets picked up by grandma. Grandma has back issues so I help her lift dcg into her carseat on the days she picks up. I noticed that the carseat is not installed properly and the straps are way to low. I mention it to grandma who is of course super surprised and says she will fix the issue as she is very concerned for dcg's safety

Fast forward to 3 more pickups and the problem has still not been addressed. I am literally worried for dcg and I feel angry and sad that no one is advocating for this little girl. My husband says I should just take the seat out and fix it for them, but I don't feel it is my place and I also don't want to enable this nonesense.

WWYD in this situation? I remember when I worked at a centre the director called the police on a woman who was not using a carseat properly and she got fined. Not sure I want to go that far but this is very concerning.
Maybe bring it up to mom and have her discuss it with grandma. Here we are mandated reporters and HAVE to address it or report it.
Play Care 10:29 AM 03-08-2016
I would fix it.
She may not have understood what you meant (there's a lot of straps on those things! )
She may have attempted to fix the issue but didn't do it correctly. Car seats can be bulky, heavy and difficult to maneuver. She can't even lift her own grandchild into the car seat, so perhaps she's not physically able to make the changes.
Heck, I had a hard time when dd's were younger and I had two car seat techs show me how.

Consider it your good deed of the day
Ariana 10:58 AM 03-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe bring it up to mom and have her discuss it with grandma. Here we are mandated reporters and HAVE to address it or report it.
I am also a mandated reporter and I know this is why my director called about the incident she saw. What does this fall under? Neglect?

I will be bringing it up with mom for sure at pickup. I will also let her know that I am a mandated reporter and that I can no longer put her child in that carseat under good conscience. I was under the impression from grandma that she discussed it with her daughter because she said she was the one who installed the seat.

I think it will make me more liable if I install and fix the seat and something happens so I am not going to take on that responsibility. I am doing my due diligence by letting them know it needs to be fixed.
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 03-08-2016
I am also a mandated reporter and I know this is why my director called about the incident she saw. What does this fall under? Neglect?

I will be bringing it up with mom for sure at pickup. I will also let her know that I am a mandated reporter and that I can no longer put her child in that carseat under good conscience. I was under the impression from grandma that she discussed it with her daughter because she said she was the one who installed the seat.

I think it will make me more liable if I install and fix the seat and something happens so I am not going to take on that responsibility. I am doing my due diligence by letting them know it needs to be fixed.
It's listed under "safety" here.

Yes here too, if we touch the seat, we become liable.

I agree...do your due diligence by discussing it with mom...maybe even have her sign off stating you addressed it with her... I know that doesn't automatically excuse you from liability but it may very well help.
Ariana 11:18 AM 03-08-2016

I agree...do your due diligence by discussing it with mom...maybe even have her sign off stating you addressed it with her... I know that doesn't automatically excuse you from liability but it may very well help.
Thanks!

I just texted dad. I bypassed all the people I know won't do anything and went to the one person I know will. He said he is going to fix it!
Leigh 11:54 AM 03-08-2016

I send them to our local police department. They have a staff member who installs seats and trains parents on installation and proper use. Parents view her as an expert, and are more likely to take her advice over mine on that subject, anyway. I once had a grandma ask me to teach her about car seats. I told her that the baby's carseat had straps way too high and too loose, and explained why it needed to be adjusted. She asked me to do it for her. The next day, they were where they were before my adjustment. Mom was upset because baby was uncomfortable being squeezed like that and put everything back to how it was (a 4 month old with straps on the highest slot, and enough slack to fit a second baby in there). Some people just don't listen and don't care until they have a dead baby from their negligence.
Ariana 02:51 PM 03-08-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I send them to our local police department. They have a staff member who installs seats and trains parents on installation and proper use. Parents view her as an expert, and are more likely to take her advice over mine on that subject, anyway. I once had a grandma ask me to teach her about car seats. I told her that the baby's carseat had straps way too high and too loose, and explained why it needed to be adjusted. She asked me to do it for her. The next day, they were where they were before my adjustment. Mom was upset because baby was uncomfortable being squeezed like that and put everything back to how it was (a 4 month old with straps on the highest slot, and enough slack to fit a second baby in there). Some people just don't listen and don't care until they have a dead baby from their negligence.
It is just so sad! This grandmas other daughter is a pediatric surgeon in the NICU for God sakes. She should know better. She was even spouting off about how carseats have really cut down on child deaths from car accidents etc. I really fell for it

We used to have fire dept. doing it but they cut that out. Now there is a carseat clinic that you have to sign up for. I might forward them the info....
284878 07:01 AM 03-09-2016
Just saw a Tom Copeland webinar on managing risks. He said do not loan out your car seat, install or adjust a car seat, or buckle a child in.
Play Care 10:48 AM 03-09-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Just saw a Tom Copeland webinar on managing risks. He said do not loan out your car seat, install or adjust a car seat, or buckle a child in.
Good to know.

I don't accompany families to and from vehicles so I have no idea what they do for car seats
Ariana 11:04 AM 03-09-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Good to know.

I don't accompany families to and from vehicles so I have no idea what they do for car seats
Me neither! This is the first time I have had to help a kid into the car. I think we would all be very shocked to see most kids carseats I am sure,
sharlan 11:21 AM 03-09-2016
Good to know.

My opinion, too. I decided the less I knew, the better.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 03-09-2016
I wont even allow car seats to be swapped, left or removed from vehicles on my property or within sight of my property.
TwinKristi 04:34 PM 03-09-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
In some cases I suppose this would be managing risks but I feel in my case it would be managing risks by doing it. I have seen parents put their child in wrong, straps too low, forward facing too early, infant car seat too late... I have car seats for each age group for my car in case I need them and I do loan them out in emergencies. I have done more research on car seat safety and have more experience than any of my dc parents.
Baby Beluga 06:00 AM 03-10-2016
A good resource for families is a blog and facebook page called "car seats or the littles" http://csftl.org/

The blog has a slew of information on seats, installations quirks for individual seats and car seat safety in general. The FB page is run by licensed CPST's. You can post a question on the page or PM a CPST and they will help trouble shoot issues for free. If they cannot help, they can help set families up with CPST's in their area who can help in person.

And yes, Tom is correct. Never, ever, ever touch a car seat as you can be liable should anything happen. Even a CPST will not (well should not....as in any field there are "bad" CPST's) be the last one to touch the car seat. They will teach the family to install and use it properly.

ETA: On the blog you can look up a CPST in your area. They have CPST's listed in the states and in Canada
Play Care 07:40 AM 03-10-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My opinion, too. I decided the less I knew, the better.
Honestly I'm less horrified by the inproperly installed seat and more so by the fact the family is using grandma to care for a little when she's obviously not able. Statistically the child is more likely to be dropped while grandma is carrying her than she is to be in an car accident (not saying an improperly installed car seat is okay, but if we are taking about risks...)

I see it all the time when I bring the kids to preschool (in properly installed seats, lol) mom and dad saving a buck using grandma (or great grandma in some cases) and they clearly are not physically able to do what needs to be done to properly care for young energetic kiddos.

Though I glad dad seems to have taken the op seriously and will get if fixed. Now who is going to be putting the kid in their seat?
Ariana 07:48 AM 03-10-2016
Honestly I'm less horrified by the inproperly installed seat and more so by the fact the family is using grandma to care for a little when she's obviously not able. Statistically the child is more likely to be dropped while grandma is carrying her than she is to be in an car accident (not saying an improperly installed car seat is okay, but if we are taking about risks...)

I see it all the time when I bring the kids to preschool (in properly installed seats, lol) mom and dad saving a buck using grandma (or great grandma in some cases) and they clearly are not physically able to do what needs to be done to properly care for young energetic kiddos.

Though I glad dad seems to have taken the op seriously and will get if fixed. Now who is going to be putting the kid in their seat?
The grandma is an in shape 50 year old woman. She injured her back and the whole lifting and twisting to get the 40 pound 2 year old in her seat is reinjuring her back (yes thats right, the 2 yr old is 40 pounds and in 3T clothes ). It is not that she is unable to take care of her it is that her back cannot do that particular motion. She is in physio for it so I am really hoping it goes away. The grandma has picked her up countless times in the past and was able to lift her into her seat but this injury is causing issues now.

I think the term "grandma" with back issues makes everyone think of a little old lady hunched over
Play Care 08:45 AM 03-10-2016
The grandma is an in shape 50 year old woman. She injured her back and the whole lifting and twisting to get the 40 pound 2 year old in her seat is reinjuring her back (yes thats right, the 2 yr old is 40 pounds and in 3T clothes ). It is not that she is unable to take care of her it is that her back cannot do that particular motion. She is in physio for it so I am really hoping it goes away. The grandma has picked her up countless times in the past and was able to lift her into her seat but this injury is causing issues now.

I think the term "grandma" with back issues makes everyone think of a little old lady hunched over
Gotcha!

Though to be fair, my IL's retired in their early 50's and are also in fantastic shape. MIL made it clear then that they would not be day care or substitute day care.
How dare she want to enjoy retirement!

Hopefully it's all been worked out!
284878 08:06 PM 03-10-2016
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
In some cases I suppose this would be managing risks but I feel in my case it would be managing risks by doing it. I have seen parents put their child in wrong, straps too low, forward facing too early, infant car seat too late... I have car seats for each age group for my car in case I need them and I do loan them out in emergencies. I have done more research on car seat safety and have more experience than any of my dc parents.
As Tom pointed out, if you loan, install or buckle a car seat and the driver were to get into a accident you Risk being sued if something fails, even if it is out of your control. He told of a case that he has handle, where the child grew up and sued the provider for something that happen when he was enrolled in that day care.

Interestingly, I just happen to watch one of the court shows during nap time this week and person got sued because his equipment failed during his service injuring a child. He lost the case and was told by the judge to sue the manufacturer to get his money back.

In case you are anyone else is interested in watching the webinar, it is free and about one hour long. Tom talks about how to manage risks in day care period not just car seats. https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...18502057991681
Tags:car seats
Reply Up