Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Full-Time Trumps Part Time
Unregistered 09:46 AM 04-03-2018
Hi! I need some advice. I have been interviewing a few families for my last 2 spots but everyone seems to only need part time summer care. I’ve narrowed it down a family that I think would be the best fit but now I have someone interested in immediate care and full time. I don’t have anything listed in my handbook/policy that says full time spots will always trump part time spots (lesson learned) so how do I tell the other family that I can no longer offer care to them? I wouldn’t really care if it was someone I never saw again but we attend the same small church.

And TBH: full time money always speaks to me more than part time money. Sorry so blunt.

Help!
Jo123ABC 10:04 AM 04-03-2018
I had this happen once with a part time already in my care. I told the family that I needed to fill the spot full time and offered them first dibs. I told them if they weren't interested in the full time spot, I would keep them on until I filled it. The family agreed and kept part time. I filled that spot and let them go. They were aware so they weren't mad. I think there was some regret after the fact as they did try to come back full time but my spots were all filled at that time.
Cat Herder 10:09 AM 04-03-2018
"I am sorry but I can no longer afford to keep your family part time."
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 04-03-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi! I need some advice. I have been interviewing a few families for my last 2 spots but everyone seems to only need part time summer care. I’ve narrowed it down a family that I think would be the best fit but now I have someone interested in immediate care and full time. I don’t have anything listed in my handbook/policy that says full time spots will always trump part time spots (lesson learned) so how do I tell the other family that I can no longer offer care to them? I wouldn’t really care if it was someone I never saw again but we attend the same small church.

And TBH: full time money always speaks to me more than part time money. Sorry so blunt.

Help!
I agree full time trumps part time and I would offer the part time family the option of being full time (or paying the full time rate even if they don't use or need it).

If they decline, go with the family that does want full time.

I've had clients come to me seeking part time care and then taking a full time slot just so they can attend.
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 04-03-2018
I answered on your other post. Of course.

Repeat: "I am sorry but I can no longer afford to keep your family part time."

They would not judge another congregation member on seeking a job with better income for their family. Why should they judge you for the same.

Please tell me they were merged and I don't need to dial 911.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 04-03-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I answered on your other post. Of course.

Please tell me they were merged and I don't need to dial 911.
Deep breaths.... you're good.
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 04-03-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Deep breaths.... you're good.
Thanks One kid today. And all that entails.
Tags:part time to full time
Reply Up