Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Abuse In Daycare Results
Unregistered 06:37 PM 12-16-2008
Hi all, I'm interested in finding out some of the eventual outcomes or results of a daycare center that has been reported for abusing children. I have serious cause for believing my son has been physically abused by teachers at his daycare. We've filed a complaint with the police and with the state health and human services and are letting them begin their investigations while we try and find another daycare for him.

I spoke with a friend who said that a similar situation happened to them and all that ever came from it was a fine to the facility and they think the teacher was fired, though not sure on that last part. Does anyone else have any (unfortunate) experience in this? I am irate over this and can't believe all they would do is fine the center.
lilbiddapopcorn 06:28 AM 12-17-2008
I think it depends on the situation. I used to run a home daycare and I was accused of abusing a child sexually. I'm still under investigation but my husband and I both took polygraph tests and passed them, and this little girl had no reason to say what she said. Her sisters and her used to whine and cry every day when their mom showed up because they didn't want to leave and the only way she could get them to go was to promise them they could come back and play the next day. She wouldn't have wanted to come back if she'd been sexually molested here! Imagine my surprise when the police show up at my house and say she said I sexually molested her....I literally threw up. It simply did not happen. I keep going through it in my mind, and there's nothing I can think of that happened that she could have even misinterpreted as being sexual. She's old enough that she doesn't need help in the bathroom, I hardly even touched her period, much less touched her sexually. But if an investigator came to my door with the mindset that I absolutely must be guilty, people who get accused of things that honestly didn't (and would never EVER) do what was alleged of them would be doomed. Investigators have to look at it from a completely neutral perspective, and if this has never happened before and you don't have much proof, it's possible they might conclude this allegation as unfounded. It's when more than one incident occurs and several complaints are filed that people get shut down. I know you're angry, who wouldn't be, but everyone deserves a fair investigation. I'd say let it play out before you get upset, see what happens. Maybe this particular investigation won't end that way.
Unregistered 06:47 AM 12-18-2008
I can't believe that you would actually keep your child in a center where you think he is being abused. Even if you had to stay home from work, if you were that concerned, he shouldn't be there for even one more day. If you're not willing to put your child first as the parent, then you shouldn't expect much from the authorities. Plus the authorities may not take you seriously since your kid is still there.
Unregistered 06:58 PM 12-19-2008
I'm not sure where you got the idea that he was still in that daycare. We found out one night and immediately withdrew him the next day. He is with his grandmother until he gets into another school.

I just feel bad for the other parents, I'm not allowed to contact any other parents until after the investigation is complete.
MissLisa 10:58 PM 12-19-2008
I am from PA... and our state has a mandated reporting law. All suspected child abuse MUST be reported to a child abuse hotline. The facility should be mandated to report any PROVEN child abuse to the registry and they will no longer be allowed to work in child care. Check with you Child and Youth services...call the department that license's your day care providers and ask them what agency it would be and keep in touch with the case and work with the police and agencies and push the issue that she be turned into the Abuse Registry....

BUT... Please think of ONE THING.... be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that it is proven before demanding they be reported to the abuse registry because this is very serious of course.... but once on the registry they will NEVER be allowed to work with children and sometimes even elderly or other social environment work. Which if guilty...is GREAT...but if just a "SUSPICION"... well.. if you are wrong... they will be ruined for nothing... so ... BE SURE...and BE FIRM to have them reported...If they are guilty they deserve what they get...
lilbiddapopcorn 11:45 PM 12-21-2008
I agree with MissLisa...you have to be careful about accusing people of these kinds of things. I think everyone deserves a fair investigation. If the woman who accused me were able to contact all the people whose children I cared for it would've ruined my reputation for nothing, because this girl was not sexually molested at my house. She has since admitted she lied, but there was a while where she was still clinging to her story because it got her attention. This is why investigations happen. There SHOULD be an investigation period and the accused people SHOULD have a chance to clear their names. After all, if they're guilty, it will eventually be proven, and if they're not, you should be glad they got the chance to prove that.
Tags:abuse, child abuse, daycare, reporting - daycare
Reply Up