Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing Outside in the Winter?
lmdc 06:53 AM 10-02-2009
i just started providing day care this past summer, so have not gone through a winter yet with the kiddos...i currently have 3 kids, a 15 month old, a 9 month old, and an almost 3 year old (plus 2 after school kids)...

so my question is, how do you more experienced providers do things in the winter/fall? is there a safe/feasible way to take the kids outside to play in the winter, given their ages? what do you do with the infant while the other two are playing? during the summer the baby played in either an exersaucer or in one of the playard gates when i wasn't directly with him, but obviously neither of these are options now that it's cold, and it's not possible to hold him the entire time and still provide adequate supervision to the other two curious/energetic kids...any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

thanks!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:19 AM 10-02-2009
I personally take them all out,... no matter the age. at 33 and warmer,...I bundle the babies, put them in a seat, ( I have two old carseats that are used for infant seats for this purpose, not for the car anymore) I get them to sleep, bundle them, put them in, and drape a blanket over the top and the handle keeps it from laying on them, the wind doesnt get them, . Then I bundle everyone else and away we go,.. 10 minutes outside in the snow is enough time for them and its short enough for the babies not to get cold. If its TOOOOO cold,.. I have a few dishpans and I lay out a king size comforter, fill the pans with snow, and we play on the kitchen floor. Hot chocolate follows both these activities,.. homemade of course,.. =-)
kitkat 11:09 AM 10-02-2009
We go out if it's above 32 degrees, including the wind chill. I had 2 under one last year, so we didn't go outside at all to play in the snow. When we did go out, it was just for a walk. Last year we did Movie Monday to try to beat the winter blues. The kids loved it. They each took a turn bringing in a G movie that was 60 minutes or less and a snack to share.

I like the carseat idea! You can also put them in the stroller and drape blankets over it to keep them warm. We play by the driveway and that makes it easier for the kids to walk. Not sure how well a 15 month will walk in a snowsuit and boots, but the driveway would be much easier than in the snow. I bring out the sand toys and they like to play with those in the snow, especially dumping the snow on the driveway. Definitely keep an eye on the temp/wind chill and the time outside. Ten to 15 minutes of fresh air is probably plenty.
ecemom 04:18 PM 10-02-2009
It gets FREEZING here and the snow blows like crazy! So we go in the basement. It is huge and open. Late fall, I bring all the ride on toys/bikes/balls down stairs and we play down there! It's tons of fun and safe for all! ;-)
melissa ann 04:57 PM 10-02-2009
I also have a large basement room. Recently, my 4 yr and I painted the woodwork a bright blue and brought in some outdoor toys. Last winter, if it wasnt' too cold we went outside for a little. But I have a 6 mo old now so I won't be as easy. So this is a nice alternative. We've been having quite a bit of rain and it recently got cooler so we've been done there. The kids love it.
tinytotzdaycare 05:27 AM 10-03-2009
we have an "indoor gym" as well, 3 large indoor climbers, cozy coup cars, and a little tikes bball hoop. I also use colored tape and tape out hop scotch on the floor as well as a few other fun indoor games..keeps them busy on cold, wet days.

We also purchased a sensory table from discount school supply and fill it with snow when its too cold to go out, kids put on their mittens and we bring the snow in to them
Chickenhauler 11:25 PM 10-10-2009
If your home and play areas allow you to stay indoors with the younger (and more fragile) ones while the older ones (school age-ish) play outside and you can moniter them, this is feasible.

Contrary to what some people think, kids are quite hearty. Dress them in layers of warm clothing, and let them burn off some steam. Be sure to moniter them closely for redness in cheeks or ears, this is an early sign of frost bite.
tinytotzdaycare 09:54 AM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
If your home and play areas allow you to stay indoors with the younger (and more fragile) ones while the older ones (school age-ish) play outside and you can moniter them, this is feasible.

Contrary to what some people think, kids are quite hearty. Dress them in layers of warm clothing, and let them burn off some steam. Be sure to moniter them closely for redness in cheeks or ears, this is an early sign of frost bite.
I agree, and most dont notice the cold..they love the snow! Evena few miutes of fresh air is great...they will also take better naps
Chickenhauler 10:23 PM 10-11-2009
Originally Posted by tinytotzdaycare:
I agree, and most dont notice the cold..they love the snow! Evena few miutes of fresh air is great...they will also take better naps
I know I take better naps after a full day outdoors in the cold fresh air.
GretasLittleFriends 05:55 AM 10-12-2009
Do any of you keep a variety of snow gear (boots, hats, mittens, snowpants) that belong to you that you loan to daycare children while they're at your house?

I'm getting ready to go though our last year's winter stuff. My little guy just turned 5, and I'm sure he's out grown the majority of his snow gear. I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to it or donate it. I have one family that I'm fairly certain that will show up here unprepared to play out doors this winter, yet at the same time, that's a lot of stuff to have to hang on to and store.
mac60 07:08 AM 10-12-2009
We don't go out much at all once cold weather comes. Once snow hits the ground, it is too hard to keep up on the dog poop piles for a clear area to play. I have let them go out on the patio only and play in the snow there. I do have a few mittens, hats, and a couple sweat shirts that can be used under their coats, but no boots or snowpants, as I don't feel it is my responsibility to provide them, and I don't have young children anymore to hand stuff down, nor do I have the room to store them.
tinytotzdaycare 08:17 AM 10-12-2009
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Do any of you keep a variety of snow gear (boots, hats, mittens, snowpants) that belong to you that you loan to daycare children while they're at your house?

I'm getting ready to go though our last year's winter stuff. My little guy just turned 5, and I'm sure he's out grown the majority of his snow gear. I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to it or donate it. I have one family that I'm fairly certain that will show up here unprepared to play out doors this winter, yet at the same time, that's a lot of stuff to have to hang on to and store.
I have an entry closet full of extra snow pants, winter jackets, boots, hats, mittens, and even crocs in all sizes! In case parents forget or someones items get soaked, we always have extras. The crocs are great if someones shoes get muddy, wet, we always have something to fit those kiddos.

Goodwill/garage sales!! I purchased all of my items a few years ago at goodwill, washed them and they are here if needed.
Chickenhauler 05:09 PM 10-12-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
We don't go out much at all once cold weather comes. Once snow hits the ground, it is too hard to keep up on the dog poop piles for a clear area to play. I have let them go out on the patio only and play in the snow there. I do have a few mittens, hats, and a couple sweat shirts that can be used under their coats, but no boots or snowpants, as I don't feel it is my responsibility to provide them, and I don't have young children anymore to hand stuff down, nor do I have the room to store them.
Once the dog poo is frozen, it's not like they're going to step in it and bring it in the house....unless you have the kind of kids who fill their pockets with souvenirs.
ldigital3 03:09 AM 10-16-2009
At Families United, we take our kids out in the winter everyday at least for 15 minutes unless extreme inclement conditions occur.
http://www.familiesunitedchildcare.com
Reply Up