Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My DD Has Issues With Sharing Her Own Toys
blueclouds29 11:02 AM 10-24-2011
I can really use some help! My 2 1/2 year old DD is having a problem seeing the other kids with her toys. I have no clue why it has become an issue now cause i've been doing daycare for over a year. She has a room of toys she can play with that are just for her. It can be a stupid ball that she will throw a fit and grab it out of their hands. I watch 4 kids that are between 1 and 2 years old. Any suggestions and have any of you gone through this same thing?
littlemommy 11:31 AM 10-24-2011
We're having that problem, too. DS is 21 months and does the same thing.
MNmamaOf4 11:37 AM 10-24-2011
I have this problem too, but with my almost 5 year old. So I've told him any toys he doesn't want daycare kids to play with go in his room, the rest he has to share. Some days are easier than others though.
cheerfuldom 11:59 AM 10-24-2011
I have completely separate daycare toys and my kids toys. Anything in the daycare room is for everybody. Any toy that is causing a fight get puts in toy timeout. Any toy that my kids bring into the daycare room has to be shared or go back to their room.
pixsydust 12:24 PM 10-24-2011
I have separate DC toys. If my kids bring their toys out of their rooms then they have to share with the DCK. It works out pretty well.
Zoe 12:29 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by pixsydust:
I have separate DC toys. If my kids bring their toys out of their rooms then they have to share with the DCK. It works out pretty well.
Same here. Don't make your own children share their toys. That's what daycare toys are for. They do however have to understand that daycare toys are for EVERYONE and cannot be fought over.
blueclouds29 12:31 PM 10-24-2011
I wish i had seperate toys but i have such a small house and only watch 4 kids. I'm glad we're not the only one going through this :/
NiNi.R. 12:33 PM 10-24-2011
My daughter keeps her toys in her room. If she would like to bring them out of her room she must share with everyone. If she doesn't want to share she must play in her room by herself or wait until the DCKs leave before she bring them out of her room
Mom_of_two 12:35 PM 10-24-2011
I have all separate DC toys as well. My daughters are 2 and 4. It did not feel right to me to have them share their toys for what is my business, I felt like I needed to make the investment for my business and buy toys, supplies etc for the daycare room. I only watch 3 kids (won't do more) aside from my own but still important to me for the girls to have their toys in their home etc. Maybe work toward making a place for just daycare toys (we call them 'sharing toys') and have toys not to be shared in the kids rooms? Even consignment stores etc have lots of good ones. If you don't have room for a daycare room maybe other storage- I have cubbies in my living room that match the decor and you wouldn't know toys were there, there are also ottoman storage units etc.
Oneluckymom 12:43 PM 10-24-2011
I explained to my son (6) and daughter (4) that I would be starting up a daycare to help all the mommies and daddies who have to go to work. I asked my kids if they had any old toys that they would like to "donate" that they don't need anymore and that the daycare kids might enjoy playing with. I explained that once donated they couldn't change their mind later as the DC kids may get really sad.

Needless to say they were really excited about pitching in their old toys. I decided early on that if they wanted to donate anything it would be great, but I was not about to force them to share their personal belongings.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
GrannyJ 01:25 PM 10-24-2011
I always treated my kids and now my grandkids the same way I do dck's. No toys allowed from home. They were never allowed to bring toys out of their rooms or play in their rooms during dc hours. I just kept everything separate from day one and never had a problem with it!
spud912 10:40 PM 10-24-2011
I keep my dd's toys separate but she has all of a sudden developed this possessive behavior over all of the daycare toys. When any of the dc kids or her younger sister even look at something she likes (it doesn't matter if she hasn't been playing with it all day), she starts to scream bloody murder. I usually end up punishing her for screaming and remind her that these toys are for sharing.
erinalexmom 10:53 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have completely separate daycare toys and my kids toys. Anything in the daycare room is for everybody. Any toy that is causing a fight get puts in toy timeout. Any toy that my kids bring into the daycare room has to be shared or go back to their room.
Yep! Actually I just flat out dont let my kids bring thier toys out of thier rooms at all. daycare toys stay in the living room. Can be played with all the kids during daycare time. After that play with your own toys in your rooms. My kids are older but they are allowed to leave "daycare" and go to thier rooms any time they choose and the daycare kids cant go with them.
I knew it was a right choice when my dd said "mom they wont leave me alone. I just want to play by myself" and I said 'why dont you go to your own room because noone can follow you there" She said "oh yeah!" You should have seen the relief on her face. Daycare is hard on the whole family and I try to accomidate my own family as much as I can, cause I cant term them! LOL
Reply Up