Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do With 10 Pumpkins
daycare 10:56 AM 11-28-2011
I have 10 medium to large size pumpkins left from the end of october and Thanksgiving. We are now done with them and I don't want to throw them away.

What can I do with them? I thought about making some pumpkin bread for the holidays, but are the pumpkins too old to use for cooking still??
Solandia 11:02 AM 11-28-2011
As long as the pumpkins are still firm, they are fine. Typically, squash/onions/carrots keep in my cool, dark garage from harvest until about Feb.

Personally, since you have to go through all the work of cutting it and cooking it, I would can whatever I wouldn't use within a week. Or...you could freeze it instead, that is much easier, but I never have enough room in the freezers for veggies.
daycare 11:05 AM 11-28-2011
Oh nice to know. I am not good at cooking anything and I eat everything raw. lol

I am new to the idea of freezing anything. I think it has to do with taste for me...lol

I will have to google search how to cook the pumpkins the right way to make bread out of them.
themoorethemerrier 11:57 AM 11-28-2011
Most recipes say to peel and cut them. BIG pain in the butt.

I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds (pumpkin seeds!) and throw on the baking sheet (upside down so they don't dry out) for an hour at 350. After they cool enough to handle, I scoop all the flesh out of the skin, throw it into the blender, hit puree and then put 2 cups into each freezer bag.

We make muffins, bread, cake, pumpkin oatmeal, cream soup and just eat it like mashed squash.

I love pumpkins.
daycare 12:11 PM 11-28-2011
thanks for this advice... I was having the worst time trying to just cut them.....lol

I was thinking I am going to have to get a saw....hahhaa
familyschoolcare 04:41 PM 11-28-2011
I cut mine in smallish piece and cook in the crock pot with about 1 inch of watter on the bottom.

My crock pot has a timer I set it for 4 hours on high place it in the pot at bedtime and in the morning it is cool enougp to start processing.
familyschoolcare 04:49 PM 11-28-2011
I cut mine in smallish piece and cook in the crock pot with about 1 inch of watter on the bottom.

My crock pot has a timer I set it for 4 hours on high place it in the pot at bedtime and in the morning it is cool enougp to start processing.
Reply Up