Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The 20 Minute Potty Girl
daycare 11:47 AM 01-13-2012
I have a new DCK that is 2.5. She does not have most of the means met to PT, for example she cant pull pants up or down, can't even get onto the toilet. She is a very large child for her age and can talk very very well.

The thing is, is that about every 20 min she tells me I have too pee. No joke, like clock work. I am sure the last provider was doing the every 20 min on the pot.

Well when she says she has to pee, it turns out that she just went and then I sit her on the pot and she will literally go only drops. All morning I have been in the bathroom with the girl. I am only taking her, becuse she is telling me she has to go.

Do you think that I should stop taking her in every 20 min even though she is going? I don't think asking her to hold it would work, as I don't think she would understand this.

Usually, kids never tell me they have to go at this age, so this is a first for me. I guess my question is, how do I teach her to hold it for longer than 20 min?

advice please.

sorry, I wanted to add, we have been through 9 diapers already this morning and it's only noon here....
kidkair 12:02 PM 01-13-2012
Honestly I'd tell her "Sorry it's not potty time right now. I'll take you in a little bit when it is potty time. Work on holding it inside you until then." I'd just keep repeating something of the sort and only allow her to sit on the potty every time I would ordinarily take her to change her diaper. I'd keep letting her know that here we work on holding it in rather than going to the potty a whole bunch. I'd also work with her on pulling down/up pants and the whole routine every diaper changing time even if she doesn't succeed on the potty.
Meyou 12:04 PM 01-13-2012
I think I would do some work with pulling pants up and down along with getting on and off the potty rather than getting her to hold it.
daycare 12:05 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Honestly I'd tell her "Sorry it's not potty time right now. I'll take you in a little bit when it is potty time. Work on holding it inside you until then." I'd just keep repeating something of the sort and only allow her to sit on the potty every time I would ordinarily take her to change her diaper. I'd keep letting her know that here we work on holding it in rather than going to the potty a whole bunch. I'd also work with her on pulling down/up pants and the whole routine every diaper changing time even if she doesn't succeed on the potty.
right now her pants and pull up are so tight taht I cant even get them down so her mom promised me to go and buy her some of both that fit and next week we will start on the undress and redress.

The thing is, when I don't take her, she just pees in her pull up/diaper...
daycare 12:11 PM 01-13-2012
oh and just to add to it now too... I just took her to the toilet 15 min ago. She was wet and sat on the toilet and pee just a few drops. Well not but 2 min ago she pooped.......lol

I think that I should just throw in the towel on trying to PT right now and just focus on the undress and redress..............lol

she can tell me she has to pee but not poop
kidkair 03:29 PM 01-13-2012
Yep sounds like she's not really ready. I'd work on ups and downs with pants and have mom bring diapers rather than pull ups. Maybe in another month or so she'll be more used to you and your daycare and you can try again.
momma2girls 03:32 PM 01-13-2012
I have a potty training policy I added awhile back. If anyone wants it, I would be happy to share it. It is great!!
countrymom 03:55 PM 01-13-2012
sounds like she is not ready. I would take the pants off and let her be in pull ups. Also, she must not be emptying herself. But if she is peeing in her pull ups then she's not ready.
kidkair 03:56 PM 01-13-2012
momma2girls: I love to know what you have. I kinda just take each kid's situation as it comes right now.
cheerfuldom 04:53 PM 01-13-2012
I would never take every 20 minutes. She not potty trained at all. Just because she is willing to sit on the potty does not mean that she is actually learning (especially since it sounds like there hasn't been much progress). I would put a time limit on how often and how long you try.
daycare 05:12 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would never take every 20 minutes. She not potty trained at all. Just because she is willing to sit on the potty does not mean that she is actually learning (especially since it sounds like there hasn't been much progress). I would put a time limit on how often and how long you try.
the only reason i did it was because SHE was telling me that she had to go.....
cheerfuldom 05:37 PM 01-13-2012
I know....but now you know that she doesn't even understand what she is asking for or what she should be doing. She is regularly going in her pull ups/diaper. Just because she can say the sentence "I have to go to the potty" does not mean she has any clue what that means. Parents are probably rewarding her at home for just saying that and not actually helping her put the whole process together. She should be getting praise and attention for actually peeing....not just sitting on the potty. She needs more help with this and I think its up to the parents. Definitely let them know what you are seeing at daycare. I potty kids once an hour. For just that first week or two, I might do every 30 minutes but even that is exhausting.
momma2girls 05:47 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by kidkair:
momma2girls: I love to know what you have. I kinda just take each kid's situation as it comes right now.
This is what I have written in my contract. "I will assist with potty training, this needs to be started at home and child making good progress and totally understand the concept of it, before I will assist with it here. Pullups/diapers are required at all times until totally potty trained(this means goes on their own without assistance and reminders from myself and be accident free for quite some time).
Countrygal 07:36 AM 01-14-2012
This makes sense. I actually told my little boy that I would not force him to go until he was ready to. I think mom and dad are pushing way too much on this one. I love them to death, but ......
Tags:bathroom - issues
Reply Up