Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Interaction
kcnjason 06:11 PM 02-22-2012
I run daycare out of my home. Often while the kids are playing I find myself busy doing other things....do you continually interact with your daycare kids?
Do you allow them to play while you do other things?
MNMum 08:23 PM 02-22-2012
I don't think there is much choice in the matter. If I didn't clean up after meals it would quickly look like a bomb went off in our house. Between clean up, diaper changes, meal prep, baby needs, I'm running most of the day. I supervise their play, give them different choices if theirs aren't appropriate. We read books together everyday, do a quick circle time a few days per week, get to arts and crafts a couple days per week, but they do a lot of free play here.
blueclouds29 06:14 AM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I don't think there is much choice in the matter. If I didn't clean up after meals it would quickly look like a bomb went off in our house. Between clean up, diaper changes, meal prep, baby needs, I'm running most of the day. I supervise their play, give them different choices if theirs aren't appropriate. We read books together everyday, do a quick circle time a few days per week, get to arts and crafts a couple days per week, but they do a lot of free play here.
Exactly what happens here. Sometimes i will sit with them on the floor but then don't you know someone has a bm, needs to be fed or a meal needs to be prepared. I try but most of the time, never works! LOL
SunshineMama 07:00 AM 02-23-2012
I do a million things while watching the kids, and I am not constantly interacting with them. We do a circle time, crafts and a story time, and each child gets individual attention before naptime, otherwise, I am just observing them and making sure they are behaving properly.

They play better that way, I have found. The games they make up and play are way better than I could ever make up anyway

MarinaVanessa 08:51 AM 02-23-2012
Most of the time the kids won't play with me even when I want to . They say that I get in the way or tell me to go away . I'm there if they need me and they know that and that's what counts. When they ask me for help or ask me to play then that's when I jump in. Other than that the only time that I interact with them is during circle time, reading time and activities.
Soupyszoo 09:17 AM 02-23-2012
I do a lot of cleaning while the kids play while supervising! I feel like I'm always going. after lunch and naps we do more sitting on the floor and playing together. I have two toddlers and two infants so our play is very baby friendly, but I find the toddlers like that a lot too! And like someone else said, before you know it someone pooped, or needs fed, or is tired and here we gooooo again!
WImom 11:49 AM 02-23-2012
I do circle time, music time, art and small group time (twice) during the day. So during free play I'm not interacting with them. I watch them, listen and make sure they are playing nicely.

Usually I'm folding laundry, loading the dishwasher or I use this time to cut out stuff for another day. IE: Today I put clear contact paper on some cut outs for a new folder game and cut those out and replaced some labels on the art supply boxes. Oh and folded a basket of laundry.
bunnyslippers 12:13 PM 02-23-2012
I am absolutely always doing other things, unless it is structured times (circle, fine motor practice, crafts, special activities). There is too much to get done during the day. I also think I woud lose my mind if I just played with them all day. I am always in sight of them, and they of me, but definitely not always playing and directly interacting.

I don't only do daycare work, either. Sometimes I am folding laundry, prepping my families dinner, returning emails, making appointments. I am a stay-at-home mom who shares her stay-at-home momness with lots of little friends. The families who come here know that I am busy all day, but not everything is directly daycare work. I couldn't manage it any other way.
Ariana 12:16 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I do a million things while watching the kids, and I am not constantly interacting with them. We do a circle time, crafts and a story time, and each child gets individual attention before naptime, otherwise, I am just observing them and making sure they are behaving properly.

They play better that way, I have found. The games they make up and play are way better than I could ever make up anyway
This is me too! I don't micromanage the kids all day, they need adult "free" time I think. IMO if things are going well in your daycare there should be little adult interaction. Of course if you have small babies then you need to give them lots of attention.
Heidi 03:50 PM 02-23-2012
With my current group, I get almost nothing done..sniff sniff

I have 3 toddlers (18 mo twins and 23 mo) and 2 preschoolers, and the twins are into everythng every 2nd unless I am right there. Constant redirecting. There is no baby proof with these two.

They are sweet boys, but boundries do not exist!
AmyLeigh 03:56 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I don't only do daycare work, either. Sometimes I am folding laundry, prepping my families dinner, returning emails, making appointments. I am a stay-at-home mom who shares her stay-at-home momness with lots of little friends. The families who come here know that I am busy all day, but not everything is directly daycare work. I couldn't manage it any other way.

Me too!
mrsking14 04:26 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:

Me too!
Exactly. I always have dishes, cleaning up after meals, diapers, damage control so they don't completely dump out every toy basket. Afternoons are usually easier for me to sit and play with them. I have all toddlers (including my daughter) and my 4 yr old soon, who completely entertains himself.

I would go crazy if I sat and played all day and got nothing done around here that needed to be done. I'm way too OCD about cleanliness to do that. Good to hear I'm not the only one. I was afraid parents would get mad that I'm not always on the floor with them when they are here. But all my parents are either friends or we went to school together and are my age so they seem pretty understanding about everything. Really laid back too.
Sunchimes 06:12 PM 02-23-2012
Mine are 17 months old, and I rarely do anything not related to them, except during naps. I spend a lot of time sitting in the floor, but I rotate interaction. I sit in the floor a while, playing and singing and reading the books they bring me. Once they are all playing, I move into a corner for a while. I'm out of their hair but handy enough for them to bring me things and show me things. But any interaction is initiated by them. Then, I move to the rocking chair, where they mostly ignore me. If they don't ignore me in the chair, I get up on top of the work table, out of reach. One will whine a cry when I do that, but she will eventually give up and play. Rinse and repeat as needed.

My husband is semi-retired and likes to clean. I cook and do laundry during naptime. At the moment, all are on 2 two hour naps a day, so it leaves me plenty of time. That will probably change any day, and when it does, I'll re-think my schedule.
Reply Up