Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Table
busymommy0420 11:49 AM 03-01-2012
I really want to do a sensory table indoors. I have one outside that I put water or sand in in the spring/summer. I have a ton of rice I purchased and want to make one indoors with a storage bin. What does everyone use in their sensory bin? I would love some ideas. My ages are 2, 2, 2, 3, 5 and two school age boys ages 10 and 11 who wouldn't use the bin much. Thanks!!!
SunshineMama 11:56 AM 03-01-2012
I just made a sensory bin with rice and dried beans (kidney, split peas, and lentils).

I added some small, painted seashells (a HUGE hit), scoops, containers to scoop in, some sparkly little pom poms, zoo animals and a zookeeper, and some popcicle sticks. The kids make "fences" for the animals out of the sticks, and love to sort the different colored beans and seashells.

I put the bin on the floor over a large sheet. Be warned- it can get messy! Most of the time the children try very hard to play over the bin, and it will keep the 3+ age group occupied for a very long time. I even can sit and drink a cup of coffee peacefully when I only have the older kids.

Check out Pinterest- I found a ton of awesome sensory bin ideas and themes there. A snow theme with cotton balls and styrofoam balls and accessories to build your own snowman, dinosaur excavation themes- you name it!
Ariana 11:56 AM 03-01-2012
I go to the dollar store and get all kinds of stuff! I use rice, beans, chickpeas, orzo pasta as the base filler and then I get dollar store stuff like beads, rocks, heart shaped pieces of foam...really anything that catches my eye! I divide stuff into ziploc bags and depending on the theme I bring it out and add to the filler. I have Halloween stuff (skulls, spiders, skeletons and eyeball bouncy balls) and Valentines (fake diamonds, foam hearts and red rocks) and fall (gourds, fake leaves and orange beads) etc. The dollar store craft section is my friend

I also have spoons, old baby bottles, cups and tongs for them to play with....
SunshineMama 11:57 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I go to the dollar store and get all kinds of stuff! I use rice, beans, chickpeas, orzo pasta as the base filler and then I get dollar store stuff like beads, rocks, heart shaped pieces of foam...really anything that catches my eye! I divide stuff into ziploc bags and depending on the theme I bring it out and add to the filler. I have Halloween stuff (skulls, spiders, skeletons and eyeball bouncy balls) and Valentines (fake diamonds, foam hearts and red rocks) and fall (gourds, fake leaves and orange beads) etc. The dollar store craft section is my friend
Obsessed with the Dollar store! This makes me want to go today!
spud912 01:07 PM 03-01-2012
I change my sensory bin based on the season/holidays. I will be prepping my March bin this weekend (I will use green-colored rice, gold coins from Oriental Trading, black "gold" pots from Oriental Trading, charms from Oriental Trading, green pom poms, and I want to search for some cheap and small ceramic leprechauns). I usually also use seasonal erasers and cups from the dollar store and always have scoops and measuring cups on hand. I save the contents of the bins for the following year.
melskids 01:08 PM 03-01-2012
You'd be surprised about the SA boys. I have 3, all 8 and 9 yrs old,and 1 SA girl who is 8. They love the sensory bin and sand table and will sit there and just dig their hands around in it. I think they find it relaxing after a long school day.
Ariana 01:51 PM 03-01-2012
I totally have to go and get some stuff for my Easter/Spring sensory bin!! so exciting!!
Blackcat31 02:00 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I just made a sensory bin with rice and dried beans (kidney, split peas, and lentils).
Dry red kidney beans are toxic!

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2...ory-tub-2.html
Unregistered 02:09 PM 03-01-2012
Could you tell me how long the rice is good to stay in the sensory tables? Also what is better and/or cheapest to use rice, beans any other suggestions? What is the best way to color the rice? I have never done a sensory table indoors and think my group of almost 3 year olds would LOVE this. Thanks for any help/hints you can offer.
lovelife 02:35 PM 03-01-2012
I have been wanting to do this to. Can anyone post a picture?
busymommy0420 02:36 PM 03-01-2012
Ok...I put 4 bags of brown rice, lots of toy spoons, cups, bowls and medicine droppers in the bin. I also put all the zoo animals in there. The three girls all age 2 played for an hour straight. I was able to organize my craft cupboard WITHOUT interruption. They didn't even want to stop for snack!!! Thanks for some new ideas. I think I might do actual snow for a limited time one day and I love the theme ideas some posters had. What a hit!!!!
bice99 02:37 PM 03-01-2012
AHHHH - kidney beans are toxic! What in the world! I'll have to clean them out of my sensory tub. I have every type of bean/lentil/pea in there. The kids "cook" with pots/pans/recycled containers from my kitchen. The best is the sieve that lets the rice fall through but keeps everything else in the top. We can play for hours. I just keep a card table sized table cloth in the tub and we put it underneath. Then most of the spills can be contained and poured back into the tub when we're done playing.
busymommy0420 02:39 PM 03-01-2012
Here is a picture from today.
Attached: 427557_394228977257963_100000125927604_1718141_685263793_n.jpg (11.7 KB) 
SD DaycareMOM 03:09 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
You'd be surprised about the SA boys. I have 3, all 8 and 9 yrs old,and 1 SA girl who is 8. They love the sensory bin and sand table and will sit there and just dig their hands around in it. I think they find it relaxing after a long school day.
I was going to say the same thing. Heck, even I like to sit there with the kids and run my fingers through it sometimes!

I have pictures and instructions for making colored rice here.
snbauser 05:40 PM 03-01-2012
Besides those listed already we also have a spring/easter bin that has the paper grass, plastic eggs, pompom chicks, etc in them and one that is spring/gardening that is dirt, rubber worms from the fishing section in walmart, aprons, gardening gloves, little shovels, small pots, and fake flowers for them to plant with. Another favorite is a flour and cinnamon mixture along with "baking" items although we usually do this one outside.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:50 AM 03-02-2012
I change mine out for the season too. Get most of the stuff from the dollar store or walmart. THen I keep the season stuff in a zip lock bag for the next year.

Right now we have easter/spring. I have small easter erasers, small cardboard easter baskets, pastel colored pom poms, small easter eggs and carrots, and animal shaped easter eggs.

I have a small cup and serving style spoon for each child so they can scoop and fill the cups.

I fill mine with dried beans, and use similar to the picture posted, a large clear tupperware style tote.

We use it all the time, the kids love it.
BigMama 08:14 AM 03-02-2012
Our sensory table is open everyday. We put many different things inside but I don't use food (rice, pasta, beans, etc.) It is wasteful and sends a bad message about playing with food. In some Asian cultures, rice is considered a precious food source and each grain is used. Therefore some Asian families may be insulted by the waste of a large quantity of rice. Also, with little ones I am constantly teaching them not to put things in their mouths - playing with food would send mixed messages.
Here is a partial list of what we put in our sensory table:
Water (colored with liquid waters)
Warm sudsy water and clothes to wash and hang
Snow
Sand
Wet sand
Seashells
Pompoms
Goop (cornstarch and water)
Silly putty (liquid starch and Elmer's glue)
Fingerpaint
Shaving cream
Birdseed (which we then feed to the birds)
Cracked corn for animals (which we then feed to the ducks)
Real leaves
Marbles
Paper scraps and scissors to cut
Poker chips
Polished stones and water
Potting soil
Fishtank gravel
Feathers
Buttons

We have all kinds of accessories: shovels, scoops, cups, sand/waterwheels, boats, rubber ducks, lily pads made from craft foam and frogs, gourds, acorns, chestnuts, and mini-pumpkins in the fall, tongs, mini muffin tins, funnels, slotted spoons, basters, little boats, etc. etc.
Springdaze 08:35 AM 03-02-2012
i just did oobleck today! Its awesome! I have powder all over now, but its friday and i just have to sweep it up!
Beach Baby 09:04 AM 03-02-2012
Look how cute they are! Looks like they were loving it! I just made colored rice for mine the other day and all three of my own kids (9,6 &19 months) can't get enough of it! Going to pull it out this afternoon and see how my dcg (22 months) does with it. I have little bowls and spoons and ice cream scoop on there all from the dollar tree (LOVE that store!) matchbox cars and some larger plastic kitchen spoons (full size, also from dollar tree!). Right now we are just working on scooping and pouring, but when that gets old I will definitely work on adding more seasonal stuff!
cheerfuldom 10:12 AM 03-02-2012
What do you do if you have young kids in the same room with the olders and the sensory table contains choking hazards?

would love some more ideas posted for table items that are NOT small choking hazards!
daycare 10:19 AM 03-02-2012
ugh I have a love hate relationship with the bins..

How do you all control the children spilling them all over the place. What do you put under the bins? I want so bad to bring them back to my group, but they were so messy to clean up that it was like rolling a rock up a hill. They played and it went all over the daycare. Started out at one end of the room and spread to the next before I could ever stop it.
cheerfuldom 10:32 AM 03-02-2012
that is what I am concerned with...huge messes that spread choking hazards all over the room that is shared with 3 children under 2.
melskids 10:38 AM 03-02-2012
When you first start out offering the bins, stay right by them and model, model, model!!!! The minute they dump or chuck, be there to stop them, and make them responsible for cleaning up. Or take it away. They catch on pretty quick.

I usually start them out as soon as they can sit up on their own. I stay right by them of course. Now they are both just 1, and I even though I am still arms length away, (for safety) neither of them dump it outside of the box/table.
Tags:sensory table
Reply Up