Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spitting
williams2008 06:19 AM 02-28-2013
Yesterday at pick-up I had a dcg spit at me while re-directing her from doing something she know she's not suppose to do. She seems to think that because mom is here she can do whatever she wants like play in hand sanitizer, touch my computer, turn on the tv...these types of things. What does mom do, nothing but says stop and the dcg tells her "NO"!

Have any of you ever had a child to try and spit on you, if so how did you handle it, because I almost lost my cool on that one?
MamaBearCanada 06:23 AM 02-28-2013
For that level of disrespect I think I would term, especially with the Mother's lack of appropriate discipline. How old is DCG? That might play a factor but I doubt it. If the mother had come down hard on the girl and supported you I might consider trying to work things out but if the mother isn't going to help I think you are in for more problems.
williams2008 06:27 AM 02-28-2013
She is 2 years old and she is BAD!!! She hits mom, doesn't do anything mom tells her to do. I can't even send her to the bathroom alone anymore because one day she was taking forever to use the bathroom so I went and checked on her, and what did I find her eating cough drops she had went into my medicine cabinet.
Willow 06:45 AM 02-28-2013
Kudos to you for not losing your cool, that would definitely had been a tough one lol

I'd have probably turned to mom and told her if she ever spit at me again it would be grounds for immediate pick up, middle of the work day or not, and she'd have to stay home the following day. Three times and she wouldn't be allowed back.

MAKE mom have to handle it, and if she doesn't there are her clear cut and serious consequences for her.

As for the disaster at pick up I would tell the child just before mom shows up:
"THIS is where you stand when mom picks you up (maybe put a sticker on the floor as a visual). You put on your things and you walk out the door with mom. PERIOD. I don't care that your mother is here, there will be consequences if you (touch the tv, touch the hand sanitizer, run amok). The consequences will be (an immediate time out, no barbie bin tomorrow, not being allowed to do arts and crafts etc.). When mom pulls in you go to your sticker.

If she doesn't, physically pick her up and put her there. Body block her so she can't run off.
Loveyoustinkyface 06:50 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
She is 2 years old and she is BAD!!! She hits mom, doesn't do anything mom tells her to do. I can't even send her to the bathroom alone anymore because one day she was taking forever to use the bathroom so I went and checked on her, and what did I find her eating cough drops she had went into my medicine cabinet.
OH MY GOSH! guess it's time to lock up that cabinet! Yes, some DCK are just little stinkers, for sure.
Zoe 06:50 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Kudos to you for not losing your cool, that would definitely had been a tough one lol

I'd have probably turned to mom and told her if she ever spit at me again it would be grounds for immediate pick up, middle of the work day or not, and she'd have to stay home the following day. Three times and she wouldn't be allowed back.

MAKE mom have to handle it, and if she doesn't there are her clear cut and serious consequences for her.

"THIS is where you stand when mom picks you up (maybe put a sticker on the floor as a visual). You put on your things and you walk out the door with mom. PERIOD. I don't care that your mother is here, there will be consequences if you (touch the tv, touch the hand sanitizer, run amok). The consequences will be (an immediate time out, no barbie bin tomorrow, not being allowed to do arts and crafts etc.). When mom pulls in you go to your sticker.

If she doesn't, physically pick her up and put her there. Body block her so she can't run off.

I have nothing more to add then to say follow this! Perfect!
NeedaVaca 06:52 AM 02-28-2013

williams2008 07:03 AM 02-28-2013

I'm sure her mom could see the smoke coming out of my ears. If dcg ever attempt to pucker those lips like she is going to spit, she will definitely be termed!

I love the sticker idea, she hadn't arrived yet so I'm going to put one down now!
MissAnn 11:28 AM 02-28-2013
Ooh, big pet peeve!
Unregistered 12:36 PM 03-01-2013
As far as the spitting goes....and Mom's lack of "discipline" I would have taken control and sat her down while I told Mom that she had better start stepping up and not allowing her child to run amok in your home. If Mom doesn't follow through, then YOU follow through and give the child a time out and make Mom wait....then they BOTH learn that just because Mom is there does not give her the green light to misbehave.

Re. the bathroom and cough drops. That one is YOUR fault. At two (or even 4) years old she should NOT be left unsupervised in the potty EVER and you should not have "medicine" accessible to children.
williams2008 07:54 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As far as the spitting goes....and Mom's lack of "discipline" I would have taken control and sat her down while I told Mom that she had better start stepping up and not allowing her child to run amok in your home. If Mom doesn't follow through, then YOU follow through and give the child a time out and make Mom wait....then they BOTH learn that just because Mom is there does not give her the green light to misbehave.

Re. the bathroom and cough drops. That one is YOUR fault. At two (or even 4) years old she should NOT be left unsupervised in the potty EVER and you should not have "medicine" accessible to children.
I guess I should have went more into detail.That was the first time and the last time she ever went to potty alone. I was in the daycare bathroom WITH another dkc, the dcg was in a tight and had to potty. I instructed her to go use MY Personal bathroom which they are never allowed to use and I will be right in to check on her. The dck I was attending to had to poop so it took me longer than I thought...SHOOT me!
williams2008 07:55 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by Loveyoustinkyface:
OH MY GOSH! guess it's time to lock up that cabinet! Yes, some DCK are just little stinkers, for sure.
The daycare bathroom was occupied by me and another dck, so she had to use my personal bathroom....Big mistake on my part!
williams2008 07:56 AM 03-02-2013
[quote=williams2008;325512]I guess I should have went more into detail.That was the first time and the last time she ever went to potty alone. I was in the daycare bathroom WITH another dkc, the dcg was in a tight and had to potty. I instructed her to go use MY Personal bathroom which they are never allowed to use and I will be right in to check on her. The dck I was attending to had to poop so it took me longer than I thought.
Tags:spitting
Reply Up