Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help With Curriculum Planning!
Zoe 07:26 AM 08-09-2013
Hey everyone!

I rarely post anymore because my infants and toddlers keep me pretty busy!
I'm in the process of planning my curriculum for the year, which is a first for me. I usually do preschool off the cuff and file everything by letter. However, I'm finding that I don't ever pull anything I've done before out because I can't remember where any of the themes are!

I was wondering how you all organize your curriculum. Do you have separate folders for everything? How do you label it so that you remember all that you have?

Also, the majority of my kiddos will be in the 2-3 year old range. Any fun tips for teaching this age?

Thanks!
butterfly 08:06 AM 08-09-2013
I use clear file boxes. I write on the end of the box what month I planned it for, or what theme is in the box. I use hanging files in the box with files in the hanging files. Those are labeled more specificly. The box would say November/Farm/Thanksgiving, Letters C, T, P, Colors Brown and Red; the files would be labeled as cow, tractor, pig, etc, etc.

I have a whole closet devoted to my daycare stuff with shelves for my curriculum boxes.

As I go to garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I'll pick up items that fit my themes and they go into those boxes. I also keep the specific craft items that fit the theme in the box - if room permits - so all I have to do is pull the box and it'll have all I need for the whole month.
MsLaura529 08:11 AM 08-09-2013
I need to find something to help organize, too.

Butterfly - that sounds like an awesome system you have! I wish I was able to devote a closet to all of my stuff. I have to keep it all in the same room that my infants nap in, which does not have a closet. I'm thinking cupboards??
butterfly 08:51 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I need to find something to help organize, too.

Butterfly - that sounds like an awesome system you have! I wish I was able to devote a closet to all of my stuff. I have to keep it all in the same room that my infants nap in, which does not have a closet. I'm thinking cupboards??
I think cupboards would be a great solution. If I ran out of space, I'd keep mine in my garage. Since they are basically in plastic totes, they should be fine. And I'm organized enough I should be able to just pull out one box a month...

I use adjustable wall brackets in my closet. Similar to this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_80287-315-FG...set+organizers

But these could be hung on any wall too. You could get a shorter style and hang it higher so that your items were out of reach of littles and it wouldn't eat up floor space.
Zoe 09:00 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I use clear file boxes. I write on the end of the box what month I planned it for, or what theme is in the box. I use hanging files in the box with files in the hanging files. Those are labeled more specificly. The box would say November/Farm/Thanksgiving, Letters C, T, P, Colors Brown and Red; the files would be labeled as cow, tractor, pig, etc, etc.

I have a whole closet devoted to my daycare stuff with shelves for my curriculum boxes.

As I go to garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I'll pick up items that fit my themes and they go into those boxes. I also keep the specific craft items that fit the theme in the box - if room permits - so all I have to do is pull the box and it'll have all I need for the whole month.
So basically you plan for the month? That sounds great. See, this is why we have the forum, sometimes these solutions seem simple but we don't always think of it!
butterfly 09:30 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Zoe:
So basically you plan for the month? That sounds great. See, this is why we have the forum, sometimes these solutions seem simple but we don't always think of it!
Yep I plan for a month - most of the time. And I don't do curriculum in the summer, so only 9 months. I've been spending the last few weeks drawing up some new themes, to add some variety this year, so I have a couple new boxes to add to my closet.
Tags:curriculum - toddlers
Reply Up