Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>$50 In Late Fees, Why Am I Guilty?
jojosmommy 11:00 AM 12-02-2013
I use childcarepay.com and used to charge $5 late fee after close on Friday if payments were not recieved.

But, twice in a row I had a dcp not pay me until the next day (after me hounding them for payment). And one family paid but didnt have enough money so it nsf afterwards.

So I raised my late fee to charge $25 on Friday after 4:30. As a friendly incentive to pay on time. This was in August, all parents signed my notice of updated policies.

So, on Friday I was closed but they had received bills earlier that week as usual due Friday. One family pays monthly so its always due the Friday before the start of the new month. Two families didn't pay and I added the $25 @ 4:30. One texted me at 5 saying they were having trouble loggin in. I replied later with a comment about how I am running a business and the fee was just business.

Today the other late payer said something snarky about the late fee. I ignored it.

Why do I feel guilty for making $50 in late fees? I should be saying "hey thanks for appreciating me and my services and stiffing me during the holiday."
daycarediva 11:20 AM 12-02-2013
Why DO you feel guilty? Good question!

Seriously though, my late fees are $20/day, it's also in my contract that payments are due the last day care is provided that week. So, I was closed on Wed. Payments were late wed @ 6pm. There is also no HOPING that they remember to pay me even though the child isn't scheduled on Friday, etc.

STOP FEELING GUILTY.

I have a good standard answer "I'm sorry that you feel that way, The late fee is supposed to be a deterrent to paying late." and then SMILE REALLY BIG.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

Today the other late payer said something snarky about the late fee. I ignored it.
Dying to know...what did they say about it?

I have a late fee of $10 per day beginning on Friday AT close.

The late fee doubles with second late payment and then triples (or possible termination) for the third.

If a parent made a snarky comment about the fee, I would have ALOT to say to them.

I usually try to just ignore bad behavior when I truly can't do anything about it but comments about paying me from parents don't sit well with me.

I pride myself on being reliable, dependable and as flexible as I am able to but the ONE thing I refuse to budge on is payments.
sharlan 12:09 PM 12-02-2013
Business is business. They should have paid on time.

I had one parent that was 45 mins late on the Wed before TG. Yep, $45 late fee along with the $15 from the week before. That's 1/2 a week's payment.
jojosmommy 07:21 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dying to know...what did they say about it?

I have a late fee of $10 per day beginning on Friday AT close.

The late fee doubles with second late payment and then triples (or possible termination) for the third.

If a parent made a snarky comment about the fee, I would have ALOT to say to them.

I usually try to just ignore bad behavior when I truly can't do anything about it but comments about paying me from parents don't sit well with me.

I pride myself on being reliable, dependable and as flexible as I am able to but the ONE thing I refuse to budge on is payments.
Just asked if she was going to get ANOTHER late fee if she didnt get it paid until later today..... Shes lucky I even let her drop off at all. I should have marched downstairs to the computer and added $25 for Saturday and Sunday too. But I just said "wave to mom in the windows kiddo, Have a great day at work!"
daycare 07:51 PM 12-02-2013
from experience, I would be careful about doing late fees by the day. I used to do that, then people started dropping by on the weekends or late in the evenings on Friday. I was expected to be home to accept payments on the weekends because I was told that it was not fair if they could not drop off at that time and forced to take another late fee for both sat and sun.

I changed it to 1x- late 50, 2x-100 3x 125, happens again you are history...
Lil'DinoEggs 08:38 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
from experience, I would be careful about doing late fees by the day. I used to do that, then people started dropping by on the weekends or late in the evenings on Friday. I was expected to be home to accept payments on the weekends because I was told that it was not fair if they could not drop off at that time and forced to take another late fee for both sat and sun.

I had a family make a comment about that I said "then pay on friday when I am open or Mon with three days in late fees". Any other company charges per day regardless if they are open or not. I also warn my families. I had a mom who paid $150 in late fees in one month (NOT A TYPO) and I said it is up to you to find me when I am closed. She isn't here anymore......
jessrlee 04:36 AM 12-03-2013
Just asked if she was going to get ANOTHER late fee if she didnt get it paid until later today..... Shes lucky I even let her drop off at all. I should have marched downstairs to the computer and added $25 for Saturday and Sunday too. But I just said "wave to mom in the windows kiddo, Have a great day at work!"
Well obviously the late fee didn't sting that much since she didn't come with cash in hand!
kitykids3 06:23 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

I do late fees by the day. I have a locked drop box outside down by the daycare entrance door, so I don't have to be bothered on my off time. They drop it in there and leave a text to tell me. That way they can still pay if I am not home or out of town, etc.
Unregistered 06:41 AM 12-03-2013
I use childcarepay.com and used to charge $5 late fee after close on Friday if payments were not recieved.

But, twice in a row I had a dcp not pay me until the next day (after me hounding them for payment). And one family paid but didnt have enough money so it nsf afterwards.

So I raised my late fee to charge $25 on Friday after 4:30. As a friendly incentive to pay on time. This was in August, all parents signed my notice of updated policies.

So, on Friday I was closed but they had received bills earlier that week as usual due Friday. One family pays monthly so its always due the Friday before the start of the new month. Two families didn't pay and I added the $25 @ 4:30. One texted me at 5 saying they were having trouble loggin in. I replied later with a comment about how I am running a business and the fee was just business.

Why do I feel guilty for making $50 in late fees? I should be saying "hey thanks for appreciating me and my services and stiffing me during the holiday."
Because you don't WANT to actually have to charge them. IF YOU DO NOT charge them, the parents would keep taking advantage. Maybe the high fees will be a hint to pay ON TIME. It's not like they don't know when their bills are due!
daycare 08:50 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
I do late fees by the day. I have a locked drop box outside down by the daycare entrance door, so I don't have to be bothered on my off time. They drop it in there and leave a text to tell me. That way they can still pay if I am not home or out of town, etc.
In this case this would work. I wish I had something like that
jojosmommy 09:07 AM 12-03-2013
The best part of all of this is that I use childcarepay.com. You can log on from ANYWHERE anytime and it immediately notifies me via email you have paid. I even put out my own tablet at pick up on Fridays for those who claim technology ignorance or technical issues. It literally takes 1 minute and can be done on your phone.

So, both these parents have ZERO reason why Thanksgiving and the friday following would be a hinderance to pay.

I shouldnt feel bad, credit card companies charge $25 or more when your late so its no different.

I just need to remind myself business is business and if they dont like it they are at he wrong house
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 12-03-2013
The best part of all of this is that I use childcarepay.com. You can log on from ANYWHERE anytime and it immediately notifies me via email you have paid. I even put out my own tablet at pick up on Fridays for those who claim technology ignorance or technical issues. It literally takes 1 minute and can be done on your phone.

So, both these parents have ZERO reason why Thanksgiving and the friday following would be a hinderance to pay.

I shouldnt feel bad, credit card companies charge $25 or more when your late so its no different.

I just need to remind myself business is business and if they dont like it they are at he wrong house
We can justify it anyway we want but the truth is we shouldn't feel bad because I highly doubt parents feel bad when they don't pay or pay late...kwim?

Especially when the late/missed payment is attached to a snarky reply about a late fee SHE caused.

The reactions to late fees are always what makes me go
Tags:late fees
Reply Up