Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do - Update
katie 01:57 PM 08-23-2010
My first dcg that came to me in May has been out for almost 2 weeks. The Thurs and Fri before last, she was out b/c there was a death in the family. She paid me , no prob. Then, on Monday she called at 7:10 (suppost to be here at 7) and said hope you were not up early for my sake, won't be here today. Tuesday, no call. Wednesday I called her in the afternoon. Oh, we will not be in tomorrow or Friday but I will call you over the weekend. No call. Today comes, no show. No call. I called her this afternoon and said I have someone else needing the spot, you need to let me know what is going on. No call. It's 5:30. I turned someone away last week! What should I do? Surely this mom has to go back to work some time. She was out the first week and last week, who gets 3 weeks bereavement??? The mom of my other dcg works with her. Should I put her in a wierd spot and ask if she was at work today? This is new territory for me. I would like to go running back the person I turned away before it's too late. BTW she didn't pay me for last week as I havn't seen her so I'm losing much needed money. Help!
grandmom 02:59 PM 08-23-2010
Call the other mom immediately and tell her you anticipate an opening. Is she still interested. She doesn't need to know the whole story - it will sound like you are complaining about the other parent.

Something's up with the bereaved mom. Call again and ask is there anything you can do. I'd call her at work. Don't put the workmate on the spot by asking her.

Just what I'd do.
missnikki 03:21 PM 08-23-2010
I totally agree with grandmom on this...
If you don't have one already, it might be time to add a policy on no call/ no shows. Call or send a letter to the mom, and give a 'reply by' date.
HeatherB 04:33 PM 08-23-2010
Shes avoiding you for a reason.. FILL your spots!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:23 PM 08-23-2010
Have you had any other issues with this mom since you took her in May? Has she always paid on time and paid even when daycare girl wasn't there? If she has always been a good payer and never any issues, maybe it's just the death.

I would call the mom back and leave a message that if you don't hear from her in "X" amount of time and don't get paid for last week, you will need to fill the spot with someone that is interested because you need to pay your bills. Sounds harsh but bills do need to be paid, not to mention communication is important in daycare..if she can't let you know what's going on, that's not fair to you. Good luck!
countrymom 07:33 PM 08-23-2010
hmm, I would leave a message and also say that if you don't hear from her that her spot is terminated. Don't forget to get a letter ready too.
katie 06:56 AM 08-24-2010
Mom #2 offered the info last night on her own. Mom #1 got busted for looking up stuff she shouldn't have been at work and is under investigation. There is my answer. I did get back with the previously interested mom and she still is so I will be interviewing with her. It's been a week so she won't be calling back, and if she does, the spot is filled. Thanks everybody.
ninosqueridos 07:10 AM 08-24-2010
WOW there's some news .....at least you have an answer and a potential new family! Congrats!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 11:36 AM 08-24-2010
I'm glad you found out...it would have been nice for mom #1 to tell you she wasn't sure when she would be back....she didn't have to say what was going on with her, but at least give you a clue that she wasn't sure when she would be back.
Tags:filling spots, interview, no show, what to do
Reply Up