Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Being Late..
DanceMom 06:36 AM 09-24-2010
I have one family that is anywhere from 2-5 minutes late every single day. and while I feel petty saying anything because big deal its two minutes but those TWO minutes are a lifetime to me. Its been a long day, Ive already worked over 10 hours, I just want these kids GONE at 5:00. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids, love my job ( most days ) but 5:00 I want to be able to be done.

Would you say something to this lady for being late..she lives within a mile from me..so no excuse due to traffic etc.

Would you say something to her and if so what ? Or big deal its only a couple minutes and I should be thankful it isnt more....
AmandasFCC 06:50 AM 09-24-2010
Late is late, whether it's 2 minutes or 20. I do feel the same way though, and never make a big deal about it either. As such I have a parent who's always saying "we'll pick up at 4", then showing up closer to 4:20-4:30. I've never said anything to her either lol. If it's making YOU late for something (even it's just your date with a bottle of wine) then say something.
katie 06:55 AM 09-24-2010
Uhh I would kill for 2 minutes late. I have a friend's baby. I have done a very bad job of boundaries. She gets off at 6. So 6:30 is a bad time to come in the door anyway...but she has no regard for my family or family time. Every day she calls me at 6:45 and says she is running late b/c of...... fill in the blank. So I don't get her out of here until 6:50 or later. Meanwhile dinner is cold. Backbone..where are you??? lol. The good news.....FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
missnikki 07:09 AM 09-24-2010
What I did was get an atomic clock (the kind that sets itself and is always right) and hung it right above the parent clipboard. On their sign in/ out sheet, I required parents to write the actual time from the clock that they p/u or dropped off. I would 'hover' around those that I saw rounding off and ask them to please cross out, initial, and fix the time written. I told them it was a state regulation to have the actual time on the sheet and that I would get in trouble for incorrect entries. I made a big deal about it.
When I had late parents, they knew that clock was what mattered to me. I would say "Oh, it's five-oh-two. Please make sure you write five-oh-two." After a couple of late pick ups, I could have a paper trail to point to, and give a notice that reminded of policies. 'It can get pretty expensive in my program to run late often.
missnikki 07:12 AM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:
I have one family that is anywhere from 2-5 minutes late every single day. and while I feel petty saying anything because big deal its two minutes but those TWO minutes are a lifetime to me. Its been a long day, Ive already worked over 10 hours, I just want these kids GONE at 5:00. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids, love my job ( most days ) but 5:00 I want to be able to be done.

Would you say something to this lady for being late..she lives within a mile from me..so no excuse due to traffic etc.

Would you say something to her and if so what ? Or big deal its only a couple minutes and I should be thankful it isnt more....
And by the way- it's not just any 2 minutes- it's YOUR 2 minutes that you set aside for you and your family. Out of a whole day, the amount of time you devote to other people's families way outnumbers the number of minutes you have for yourself. Protect them.
legomom922 07:48 AM 09-24-2010
Same problem here....so what I did was print up a newsletter so it wouldnt look like I was pointing someone out, and it there I reminded everyone that this is the time of yr where my family has many extra cirricular activies at night and that they must be on time picking up. Then I put down again what the late fee is. Now granted I did give them a 5 minute grace period, so I wrote 6-30 minutes $5 and 31-60 $15. I only gave them the 5 min grace period because I did not want to look like tyrant, and wanted them to see I did understand and have "some" compassion, but after 5 min, they owe me!
MARSTELAC 11:20 AM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
What I did was get an atomic clock (the kind that sets itself and is always right) and hung it right above the parent clipboard. On their sign in/ out sheet, I required parents to write the actual time from the clock that they p/u or dropped off. I would 'hover' around those that I saw rounding off and ask them to please cross out, initial, and fix the time written. I told them it was a state regulation to have the actual time on the sheet and that I would get in trouble for incorrect entries. I made a big deal about it.
When I had late parents, they knew that clock was what mattered to me. I would say "Oh, it's five-oh-two. Please make sure you write five-oh-two." After a couple of late pick ups, I could have a paper trail to point to, and give a notice that reminded of policies. 'It can get pretty expensive in my program to run late often.
Does anyone know if that is a nationwide law (having parents sign in/out) or if it is applicable in MN? I would LOVE it!!!
DBug 11:39 AM 09-24-2010
I'm not licensed so I don't know about regs, but I have parents do the same thing with writing in the time of drop-off and pick-up. My excuse is that I need to have an accurate record for my insurance company, so that i can prove i haven't gone over my legal limit of kids. Truth is, my insurance company has never mentioned anything like that, but the parents don't know that . As well, if there were ever any other kinds of disputes, i'd have the attendance recorded in their own handwriting.
MarinaVanessa 12:05 PM 09-24-2010
It's like I always say, if you're late you're late. 2 minutes or 2 hours, you are late! You can't be "a little bit late" you are late. You can't be "a little bit pregnant" you either are or you aren't. It's one of my pet peeves too lol. I charge for that time when they are late. I close my DC at 6pm and if they aren't out my door by then they are late and I charge.

For any other time I give a 15 minute grace period but after 6pm that's where I draw the line. It's actually worded like that in my handbook "After 6pm YOU ARE LATE!" lol.
Lucy 12:55 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:

I totally get what you mean. I close at 5:30, and even 2 minutes bugs the s**t outta me. Pardon me, but it does. What I would do may seem passive-aggressive, but that's what I am!! LOL. I would have them ready with shoes & coats, bags packed or whatever they have, and be waiting on the porch, grass, driveway, etc. with your keys and purse and mumble something about "I hope I'm not late for my appointment." Do that a few times and she'll think twice. I've even had my car running just to drive the point home. Either that or you can send a note or put it in your newsletter if you do one... saying something about this is a reminder of late fees, and that you have to get dinner done, kids' homework help, your own appointments or errands, or whatever you want to say. Make it general and hopefully she'll catch on. Good luck!!
legomom922 03:57 PM 09-24-2010
Well the family that is usually late 2-3 minutes, texted me at 525 when they are suppose to be here by 530 and told me they were going to be late, so I texted her back and said ok I will add the late fee to nexts week bill...She paid it today anyway, but she knows now I will add that fee!
tenderhearts 05:49 PM 09-24-2010
I hate them being late as well. I don't mind before closing if their pick up time is normally 4 and they come 4:30, no problem but after 5 it annoys the heck out of me, 2 min makes a HUGE difference. It also annoys me even though I don't say anything but 2 of my parents one now, the other family left, will say oh I'm going to pick up early tonight at 3:30 for them to only show up at their normal 5:00 time, so annoying, all day you're like oh cool they'll go home early then to just be disappointed. I've learned that if they say that they wont be early.
Unregistered 06:11 PM 09-24-2010
If having to work for two minutes later than you are supposed to ( especially in this economy) is a major concern of yours than you are doing pretty well. My wife is a provider and I'm on this forum researching an unrelated topic to help her out when I stumbled across this thread. The majority of the working class in America right now is sacrificing a little for the sanctity of having a job and maintaining steady income. I know how hard providers work and I'm in no way trying to downplay that, however, it is in my opinion very petty to complain about two minutes. I work in the software industry as an Engineer and since this recession hit I've worked countless hours beyond a traditional 40 hr. work week. I had to work 17 days in a row this past April and most days were a minimum of 11 hours. Since I'm salaried I don't get paid for that additional time. My wife is an exceptional provider with a strong reputation in our area and she doesn't have families lined up waiting for a spot to open. She values each and every client and makes small sacrifices often to appease her clients. My advice is not to take clients for granted and be a tad grateful that you actually have clients to put food on your table.
DanceMom 06:18 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I hate them being late as well. I don't mind before closing if their pick up time is normally 4 and they come 4:30, no problem but after 5 it annoys the heck out of me, 2 min makes a HUGE difference. It also annoys me even though I don't say anything but 2 of my parents one now, the other family left, will say oh I'm going to pick up early tonight at 3:30 for them to only show up at their normal 5:00 time, so annoying, all day you're like oh cool they'll go home early then to just be disappointed. I've learned that if they say that they wont be early.
That happens all the time..esp with one family..oh I will be there about 2:00 to pick up "sally" ahh yep...1-2 hours later...SO annoying ! DO what your say your going to do !! Esp because I sit ( used to ) tell "Sally" That mommy is picking you up early today and she gets so excited and then only to sit and wait. So of course I dont even tell the child if their parents are picking up early anymore.

I was thinking of getting an alarm...set it for 5:00 - so if it is going off when they walk in they know they are late..haha..kidding..but it would be funny !!
marniewon 10:27 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I'm a bit different - whatever time they tell me they are picking up is the time I go by, and count on! I would be very angry if they said they are picking up early but don't come until regular time. I don't really have a "closing" time, since I try to cater to what my families need, so I go by what they say they will be picking up at.
marniewon 10:29 PM 09-24-2010
[quote=
I was thinking of getting an alarm...set it for 5:00 - so if it is going off when they walk in they know they are late..haha..kidding..but it would be funny !![/QUOTE]

I love this! That would be great!
legomom922 06:49 AM 09-25-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If having to work for two minutes later than you are supposed to ( especially in this economy) is a major concern of yours than you are doing pretty well. My wife is a provider and I'm on this forum researching an unrelated topic to help her out when I stumbled across this thread. The majority of the working class in America right now is sacrificing a little for the sanctity of having a job and maintaining steady income. I know how hard providers work and I'm in no way trying to downplay that, however, it is in my opinion very petty to complain about two minutes. I work in the software industry as an Engineer and since this recession hit I've worked countless hours beyond a traditional 40 hr. work week. I had to work 17 days in a row this past April and most days were a minimum of 11 hours. Since I'm salaried I don't get paid for that additional time. My wife is an exceptional provider with a strong reputation in our area and she doesn't have families lined up waiting for a spot to open. She values each and every client and makes small sacrifices often to appease her clients. My advice is not to take clients for granted and be a tad grateful that you actually have clients to put food on your table.
While I respect what you are saying, it's not that we do not value our clients or our jobs. However, we are the ones watching YOUR children for 11 hrs a day for extremely low pay. Tell me, would you want to work your job for 11hrs for $30 or $35 a day?

It's our furniture that is being ruined by your children, we are cleaning up after your children all day, we are cleaning up your childs dirty diapers, and wiping snot of their noses. We were many hours PAST the time you pick up your child, and many times working early in the am before you drop off your child.

We HAVE A FAMILY too! We need to eat, and OUR kids to their soccer practice and their music lessons. We specify in our contracts what time we CLOSE. We close at a certain time for a reason!

We are taken advantage of ALL THE TIME! Maybe it's time clients VALUE us the providers who are taking care of your kids ALL DAY. Clients always want everything for nothing...they balk at our rates, they balk that we have paid holidays or vacations, an dthey show up when ever they feel like it with NO RESPECT to what we have planned, or famlies or our commitments! Theypay us when they feel like it and then balk at the late fee..I deserve more than that!

2 minutes may not be alot to you, but when I have to feed my family and have to leave my house to get to open house on time, it's alot.

You have to be on time to pay your credit card or they charge you a $30 late fee if you are 1 day late, so if you are late picking up your child in my daycare by 5 minutes, you get a late fee.
missnikki 01:46 PM 09-25-2010
We do not have the kind of job that enables us to step away for 5 minutes to regain sanity. We cannot leave a 'To Do' list and finish up tomorrow. We do not start work when we show up, we start work when YOU show up, and it doesn't end until YOU pick up. You determine our schedule regardless of any conracts, because if you are late, we still stay. We deserve the respect of promptness, since our 'salary' probably couldn't buy the paper your paycheck is printed on, yet the nature of our job requires us to work longer than you with less breaks.
It is almost always worth it, with the exception of parents taking us for granted like that.
DanceMom 05:17 PM 09-25-2010

MY clients...are late...because I have been told in just this week alone

1) Oh I had to take a shower, my second one of the day..Ive been so hot..sorry Im late.

2) Oh boy I am tired, sorry I was taking a 2 1/2 hour NAP - Sorry I am late

3) Oh the line at the grocery store was LONG tonight..sorry I was late.

They are NOT late because of WORK. They are late because of personal issues.

I understand work related issues..I used to work over 50+ hours of work outside of the home as well. I understand weather related reasons for being late..however I do NOT appreciate parents NAPPING, SHOPPING and TAKING SHOWERS and being late.
katie 07:28 PM 09-25-2010
agree. My dcm was late b/c she was getting a massage. The other is early b/c she wants to go to Starbucks. I also agree with the above reply about respecting the caregiver. Many times there is a severe lack.
DancingQueen 05:51 AM 09-26-2010
I used to have a dad go home and change out of hsi work clothes then come and pick up. I had already made an exception to stay open 15 minutes later for this family. I was furious when I found out he was going home first.

For me the 2 minutes matter. and my parents know it. I have families all pick up by 4:30. AT 4:30 my son is done with Cross Country and is waiting to be picked up. Every minute a parent is late - is one extra minute that my son is sitting at the highschool waiting for a ride.

And some days he has cross country home meets that I want to watch. The boys usually start running about 4:45 (right down the road from my house) If parents arrive at 4:30 (as they are told) I can get there on time to watch him take off. If they arrive at 4:33 - I miss the start of the race.

All of my parents text. The rule is if they expect they will be even 1 minute later than pick up time (usually they are there around 4:25) they should text or call me so I can be prepared for that.

I had one dad text me and tell me he stopped for gas so he was going to be 10 minutes late. I told him we were leaving to pick up my son and I'll meet him back in my driveway. When i got back he was sitting by the car and was actually annoyed that he had to sit there for about 10 minutes waiting for me. So I wonder? Is it more fair that *I* should have to wait the 10 minutes for YOU? Why couldn't you get gas on the way TO work? I asked him that and he said he didn't want to be late for work - his boss gets angry. Well guess what? instead you chose to be late to pick up your child and her daycare provider gets angry too.

So my son and his running is just a small example. I have 4 kids. I have dance classes, I have 4-H meetings, FFA meetings, Cross Country, Soccer.. and the list goes on. All of this stuff takes place after 4:30. My family life begins at 4:30. And my family life is a lot more important to me than wether you arrive at my house in clean close or had time to shower.

I am a good dc provider. A VERY good daycare provider. And I make exceptions for my parents left and right because I value them. (even this dad - I really do like him a lot). They know this - and because of this - they don't mess with my family time. If they need me late one night I'll just drag their kid to soccer with me. And I'm OK with that. but don't just assume it is OK, don't take advantage of me and don't disrespect or make light of how much those 2-3 minutes can effect an entire family.
momofboys 10:13 AM 09-26-2010
While I don't take my clients for granted & your wife doesn't either that doesn't excuse repeated tardiness for non-work issues. And the difference with a childcare provider as someone already mentioned is they are watching your child for 9-10 hrs sometimes for only $20-30/day (the going rate in my area). That's one heck of a long day. When the day is done I don't appreciate someone being 15 min late because "I lost the keys in the washing machine while I was doing laundry". . . if it was b/c of work issues I would not mind. But when they are late b /c of personal issues I am steamed. I need personal time also.
legomom922 05:42 AM 09-27-2010
[quote=Unregistered;47434]I work in the software industry as an Engineer and since this recession hit I've worked countless hours beyond a traditional 40 hr. work week. I had to work 17 days in a row this past April and most days were a minimum of 11 hours. Since I'm salaried I don't get paid for that additional time. /QUOTE]

Futhermore, YOU are an ENGINEER getting SALARY for 40 or 80 or 100 hrs. Everyone know that ENGINEERS and people on SALARY are getting paid BIG BUCKS!! If you also had to work 17 days in a row, obviously you have JOB SECURITY. And along with your BIG SALARY for your BIG ENGINERRS JOB you get a TON of BENEFITS to go along with that. You probably make more in an hour than most of us make in a day!! YOUR BIG SALARIED ENGINEERS JOB pays you enough to work those poor extra hours that you are complaining about not getting paid for.

What makes YOUR JOB any more GREAT than mine? Why should you get $30 an hr, and me only $2? I'm raising your kid for $2 an hr!! I suppose if I was making $80,000 a yr PER KID, I wouldn't complain about 2 minutes either!!!

You love your kid so much? QUIT your SALARIED ENGINEERS JOB and watch someones else kids for $ 2 hr so you can be home with YOUR KID!
Unregistered 07:24 AM 09-27-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Do the math 2 minutes a day equals 8 1/3 hours for a 50 week year. That is a lot of my time when I'm not being paid for it. I too am an exceptional provider with a strong reputation and I have families lined up waiting for a spot. My current families respect my time and my family. Your advice not to take clients for granted should be a two way street, they also shouldn't take you or your time for granted. To the provider that posted about being late two minutes, you are not being petty at all. I would ask her if she would like to redo her contract for the added time, if she wants an additional 2 to 5 minutes add on a fee that is high. My last client that was 5 to 10 minutes late, I asked her that, she agreed when I told her if would be $20.00 per week for the extra time she said oh I will come and get her first and then do my errands instead of paying extra. That was what I figured, that it wasn't anything to do with her job.
Tags:late arrivals
Reply Up