Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting observation. Your thoughts?
preschoolteacher 07:41 AM 11-05-2014
I had several art stations set out yesterday for the kids. First crayons and markers, then dot painters, water colors, paint rollers, and finally glitter to sprinkle over the paint. I have a new 2.5 year old, very verbal.

This child really did not seem to get the idea of what the art supplies do. He held a crayon and made weak movements across the paper, but never looked at his paper or noticed that the crayon wasn't making marks. At the dot painting station, he kind of pounded with the dot marker like you do but once again did not realize he was holding it at a strange angle and so no marks or dots were going on his paper. This was the whole time we made art, not just a few minutes. At the rest of the stations, he kind of continued making dot marker motions, up and down weakly with the water color brush, and so on. Didn't stop when there wasn't enough paint to make a mark. It wasn't like he was distracted or even more into banging on the table, just seemed out of his element and had no idea what to do.

What would you think?
Country Kids 07:45 AM 11-05-2014
Probably has never been exposed to art supplies. I actually had a child enrolled (4 years old) who was so excited that we had markers, crayons, hole punchers, etc. because at the last childcare he had went to they didn't allow it. I guess the owner didn't like "mess" so the kids couldn't do anytype of arts/crafts.

Also, he is only 2.5 so he is still developing muscles but I bet he just hasn't been exposed to art supplies.
Heidi 07:45 AM 11-05-2014
Maybe he's just never been given art supplies. I don't know how many people's homes I've visited where there are crayon, marker, or pen marks all over the walls. Some people are just not willing to risk that. Mine only get art supplies when highly supervised, but then again, the oldest in my regular group isn't even 2 yet, and the younger 2 are still in the tasting stage.
midaycare 07:53 AM 11-05-2014
No exposure yet. But he'll get it.
Soccermom 09:35 AM 11-05-2014
I am with the others...likely a lack of exposure to art supplies.

A lot of parents just don't have the time to do arts and crafts with their little ones between working, household duties and activities.

His other daycare provider probably chose to avoid arts and crafts with this age group due to the mess factor.

Keep putting out the supplies and he will catch on

I once had a 2 year old DCB who treated playdough like it was the plague. Even once he finally got up the courage to touch it,he would just rip off tiny pieces and throw them on the the floor...after being exposed to it several times a week and watching the other children playing with it, he eventually figured out how to use it LOL
Shell 10:40 AM 11-05-2014
Agree with everyone. I had a dcg like this, and at first I was worried, and then I realized she had no experience with art supplies. Dcm doesn't like messy stuff, so she was only experimenting with art here.
Reply Up