Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Use/Teach Sign Language? Easy to Learn?
Crazy8 10:14 AM 07-31-2016
I know baby sign is popular with some parents but I have never bothered with it here. I rather teach kids to speak. But I will be starting a special needs child who does not speak and uses sign language.
Are there any sites to make it easy to learn? I know a few basics from parents who insisted on using it for their kids but would like to become a little more versed before this child starts.
Sunchimes 01:12 PM 07-31-2016
Babysignlanguage.com has a good dictionary. If you do screen time, Signing Time has wonderful videos. That's how I got started. All of my kids start signing way before they can talk well. Always, always say the word with the sign, even if he's hearing impaired because the other kids will see, and they need the words. It becomes part of you, and you will find yourself doing it automatically.

For some reason, a sign language "No" carries more weight with my kids than the oral "no".
Josiegirl 02:29 PM 07-31-2016
Dumb question here but is there a big difference between baby sign language and ASL? Are the signs basically the same?
I bought a baby sign language book at a yard sale a few weeks ago and we'll pick it up each day, learn a couple words, nothing structured, but it's fun.

OP, can you get a list of words your new dck already knows so far and go from there? Maybe dcm knows some sites, library also may have books.
jenboo 04:18 PM 07-31-2016
I YouTube the word i want to sign to learn it. For example, I'll YouTube "asl for milk".
It's super easy to learn a few basic words
Unregistered 06:21 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Dumb question here but is there a big difference between baby sign language and ASL? Are the signs basically the same?
I bought a baby sign language book at a yard sale a few weeks ago and we'll pick it up each day, learn a couple words, nothing structured, but it's fun.

OP, can you get a list of words your new dck already knows so far and go from there? Maybe dcm knows some sites, library also may have books.
Most baby signs are the same as ASL. However, in a few cases the ASL is a little too complicated for young signers and there is an alternative baby version.
BabyMonkeys 10:54 AM 08-01-2016
I taught our little guys the very basics,

more
eat
drink
cheese
apple
banana

help - They used this for everything, but it really helped a lot in curbing the aggression. Instead of hitting or biting they would ask for help.

They are 2 now and still sign frequently. I didn't see any delay in speaking because of signing.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:20 PM 08-02-2016
Baby sign is not the same as ASL, and just as with speaking, I think it's much better to use the real words yourself, whether or not the baby/child can use them yet. They'll adapt a version that works for them just as they'll say "mo" before they say "more" (and just as you will continue to say "more" and not dumb it down to "mo" for them).
Lovatic24 10:53 PM 08-02-2016
Signing Time is a tv show that introduces real sign language with songs. It also shoews kids doing the different signs including toddlers. Check it out, it's on youtube.
Tags:sign language
Reply Up