Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Huge Vent!!!!
tmcp2001 07:24 AM 01-29-2011
First off, "Hi" to everyone! I haven't been on here in a couple of months - things have been going REALLY well with the families that I have (no changes in 8 months!) and I have a wonderful new family that started this week! Yay!

So, here's my vent. I termed a family last may after 7 months of care for a variety of reasons (blatently rude to me, late pick ups, late payments etc.). I have had no contact with them since and while I've seem them in the community a few times we have not spoken.

Yesterday I received these text messages: "This is ****** we will be filing our taxes monday night we have received nothing from you. We know other people in your daycare have" "We will be using you ssn if nothing is here by monday along with a letter to the irs and they will contact you regarding your discrepencies in reporting"

Uh. WHAT? Here's the best part - these came TWO DAYS after I mailed them their W10!!

I called them immediately, told them that it had been mailed, that I have until the 31st just like any other business, that I would NOT tolerate being threatened and that I expect to be treated like a person. I didn't leave them a chance to respond and hung up. (Not very professional to hang up but I was literally shaking I was so mad. It was all I could do to not a) cry and b) cuss at them.)

I then received these texts: "This is not a threat, it is informing you of our intent. Legally they need to be in our hands by mon jan 31 however you wan to get them here." "We will be filing monday night either way, it will just be more of a hassle for us both if your form isn't here. You can email it if you would like."

WRONG. I DON'T have to provide you with this form unless you request it!!! I sent them a lengthy email, attached a copy of their W10 and attached a copy of a page out of Tom Copeland's book explaining the parent's responsibility in requesting the W10 from providers. I ended the email by stating that our business relationship ended months ago and that any further contact by them will be considered harassment and will lead to my obtaining an order of protection. I have NEVER had a family treat me like this and what makes me SO angry is that I had already sent it to them, before the deadline and without being asked. I was just being courteous. They should be getting the one I mailed today so I hope they feel like complete jerks.

Ugh. Just had to get that all off my chest. I've never been treated so badly and it makes me feel horrible.

Makes me wonder if they've called their banks up and threatened to report them to the IRS yet?
cillybean83 07:43 AM 01-29-2011
they're supposed to give you the w-10, not the other way around. if she bothers you again tell her to bring you the proper form and you'll fill it out, until then, tell her she needs to lose your phone number.
kendallina 10:02 AM 01-29-2011
Wow- who behaves like that?

I think you handled it well (well, except maybe hanging up, but I understand where you're coming from on that...). You did a great job of informing them what the actual rules are and then stating that you expect no more contact. Follow through with a protection order if they continue to contact you. Ugh...sorry you have to deal with this.
daysofelijah 11:51 AM 01-29-2011
I had something like that happen last year from a dc parent that left on a bad note. She got all threatening over facebook (we weren't FB friends even, she just tracked me down via FB) when they didn't receive a W10 from me and I needed to send it immediately.

Well for starters they moved and never gave a forwarding address, so I had no idea where to send it to, otherwise I would have sent it out. Besides that like you said I am under no obligation to send it and they should have already had my tax id number from the previous year and that's all I legally needed to give her. I blocked her after replying to her email and luckily haven't heard from her since. Craziness. I don't know what is wrong with people sometimes!
Michael 04:48 PM 01-29-2011
Welcome back tmcp2001.
katie 05:12 PM 01-29-2011
confirmation on why you termed them! lol
tmcp2001 05:53 PM 01-29-2011
Thanks everyone! It was definately confirmed for me why I termed them in the first place - sometimes I second guess myself but this brought me right back to the way they made me feel on a daily basis. SOOOO glad they are gone!

And thanks, Michael. It's good to be back!
tmcp2001 05:56 PM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I had something like that happen last year from a dc parent that left on a bad note. She got all threatening over facebook (we weren't FB friends even, she just tracked me down via FB) when they didn't receive a W10 from me and I needed to send it immediately.

Well for starters they moved and never gave a forwarding address, so I had no idea where to send it to, otherwise I would have sent it out. Besides that like you said I am under no obligation to send it and they should have already had my tax id number from the previous year and that's all I legally needed to give her. I blocked her after replying to her email and luckily haven't heard from her since. Craziness. I don't know what is wrong with people sometimes!
This made me curious - I'm also in MN and was their third provider and they had moved when they switched to my care (or so that was the reason they gave me for the switch). It wasn't a little girl that you had been caring for, was it?? She was 15 months when she started with me. Wouldn't that be a weird coincidence if it was the same family???
Lucy 10:16 PM 01-29-2011
I understand being shaken up by being treated this way. I really do. I've been there myself. However, I've taken the stance lately of not lowering myself to their rude and disrespectful level. I'm not criticizing you; please don't take this as criticism. But since you did no wrong with this situation, I would have just texted back, "Must have crossed in the mail. Maybe you'll get it today or Monday." Period. End of transmission. I just wouldn't want to give them ammunition, nor would I want to bait any further harassment from them.
Tags:vent, w-10
Reply Up