Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Socks Off!!!
busymommy0420 07:44 AM 01-07-2013
My daughters and now their daycare friends all age 3 LOVE their socks off! They are CONSTANTLY taking them off, it seems like a mute point asking them over and over again to put them on. I have hardwood floors with area rugs so the socks make them slip, and they just like them off. Should I just stop putting socks on my girls and remove the daycare friends at arrival so no socks get lost?
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 01-07-2013
I have done both. Honestly, it depends on the kid. I personally HATE feet so if a certain kid isn't the "cleanest" I will require socks at ALL times. There has been times were a particular group of kids refuse to wear socks, I have just taken them off upon arrival and spared myself the trouble of searching for them later.

I guess it really all depends ya know. I have also had a couple kids who have worn tights. yep, boys AND girls. Especially for those who have parents that are convinced that not wearing ALL clothing in the winter is what causes colds and illnesses.

The tights stay on and give the child an extra layer of warmth. I am referring to the under 2 crowd....I've never had anyone (males) older than that wear tights.
busymommy0420 08:23 AM 01-07-2013
All the kiddos are very clean kids, so it is mainly me having to search for the socks at the end of the day. The tights don't help, because they enjoy taking them off too. Maybe a full unitard will be the trick.
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 01-07-2013
My DH always jokes about putting strings on the kids' socks....like mittens.

But I cringe at the thought of another kids stepping on the sock and the string being pulled through the pant leg and the rug burn it could/would cause.

If you aren't worried about the "ick factor, then I would definitely just take the socks off upon arrival and put them in their cubbies for safe keeping. It surely beats having to search for them later.
MissAnn 08:53 AM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
My daughters and now their daycare friends all age 3 LOVE their socks off! They are CONSTANTLY taking them off, it seems like a mute point asking them over and over again to put them on. I have hardwood floors with area rugs so the socks make them slip, and they just like them off. Should I just stop putting socks on my girls and remove the daycare friends at arrival so no socks get lost?
My kids take off their outside shoes and puts on house shoes. Socks stay on.
Scout 08:55 AM 01-07-2013
I am always looking for socks, hats, and shirts at the end of the day! I have gotten them to hand this stuff to me so that I can hang it in my coat closet. I put a steralite dresser and have all our hats, scarfs, & gloves in drawers. The top drawer is now for the socks and hats of dck!
Meyou 09:08 AM 01-07-2013
I take their socks if they want them off. They're pretty good to hand them to me until they're done and want them back on. I have hardwood too and most of them prefer to dance in bare feet so they stick and can do fancy moves.
coolconfidentme 09:42 AM 01-07-2013
I guess I'm the odd (wo)man out & required shoes on unless napping. (Me too!)
countrymom 09:46 AM 01-07-2013
I've trained them to give me their socks. Some kids are always hot (like dd) and prefer no socks.
Zoe 10:01 AM 01-07-2013
I have four kids under 2. They take their socks off during nap and I'm so scared they're going to choke on them. So the socks come off before nap and then back on. Except for one little stinker who I keep the socks off all day. I don't really feel like playing the "where are dcb's socks?" game.
daycaremom76 12:51 PM 01-07-2013
I hate shoes and socks and I think my dck's see me bare foot so they do the same thing. I ask the parents if they care and so far in 3yrs no one has cared. All my kids have their own cubby the bottom compartment has a picture of a pair of shoes and a pair of socks (I laminated it and glued it to the bottom) so even my 15 month old takes his shoes and socks off and puts them where the pictures are. The only time they put them on is when when go outside in the winter or when they leave. I even have a hard time keeping them on in the summer when we are outside (again my parents know and don't care) our yard is fenced, our dogs are not allowed in the daycare side and we seldom has dandylions or bee issues so they love their toes in the dirt and sand. We have a hose next to the door so I just hose them off before they come in. We have lost socks in the past and the parents don't seem to care cause they usually turn up. I just place them on the sign in station and either the kids know their socks or the parents do. Before I did this I worked 15yrs in a business professional office so I am VERY laid back when it comes to dress policy and and shoes and socks!
Heidi 12:55 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have done both. Honestly, it depends on the kid. I personally HATE feet so if a certain kid isn't the "cleanest" I will require socks at ALL times. There has been times were a particular group of kids refuse to wear socks, I have just taken them off upon arrival and spared myself the trouble of searching for them later.

I guess it really all depends ya know. I have also had a couple kids who have worn tights. yep, boys AND girls. Especially for those who have parents that are convinced that not wearing ALL clothing in the winter is what causes colds and illnesses.

The tights stay on and give the child an extra layer of warmth. I am referring to the under 2 crowd....I've never had anyone (males) older than that wear tights.
I take all mine off at arrival most days. If I forget, I usually have to go on a sock hunt at some point. I've found them in some pretty odd places.

In Europe, it's very common to put tights on all children in the winter. Boys, girls, it doesn't matter. I don't know why it's considered just a "girl" thing here...
SilverSabre25 01:23 PM 01-07-2013
I leave it up to the kids but if they take off their socks they go straight into their shoes. I hate having to search for socks. If lost socks become an issue I will require them to remove socks at arrival. We're a no shoe household.

Could you buy a bunch of socks and use fabric paint to make the bottoms grippy so that the slipping isn't an issue?
spud912 01:47 PM 01-07-2013
It's a non-issue for me. If they do not like them on, I will have them take them off with their shoes when they arrive and I will put them with their shoes. I have all tile and wood floors and I keep my house at 67/68 in the winter, so some of their feet do get cold. I always offer the socks and let them decide if they want them on or not. Same goes for wearing sweaters in the house.
CrackerJacks 03:17 PM 01-07-2013
We have a no shoe policy..all the shoes go in a small Ikea toy box in the entry. If kids want to take off their socks I have them stuff their socks into their shoes..
daycare 03:31 PM 01-07-2013
we have a no shoe policy too, but everyone has house slippers...

most of my kids leave their socks on, but the ones that I know pull them off. their socks go straights into the box when they arrive. Otherwise I spend all day looking through out all the toy boxes for them...
Small Wonders 08:10 PM 01-07-2013
I personally say to take the socks off at arrival. Just make sure the floors are clean, I wouldn't want to send the kids home with dirty feet.
busymommy0420 06:40 AM 01-08-2013
Thanks All...I am removing socks at arrival starting today and placing them on the children's hook!
Lianne 07:34 AM 01-08-2013
Kids here are welcome to take their socks off as long as they are capable of putting them back on when necessary. If socks are removed, they go on the change table so we can find them. If a child, who isn't capable of putting their socks on by themselves, insists on removing them then they wear a pair of Robeez slippers until they're done that 'stage'
Reply Up