Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NSF-Here We Go Again
MarinaVanessa 08:37 AM 12-02-2013
I haven't had a NSF check in so long I stared at my phone for at least two-minutes trying to decipher what "returned payment" meant.

Drop in client, four days, two kids = $282.00. He didn't know how many days he'd actually need ( wouldn't know if his ex-wife would be able to take their kids the following day or not until near the end of his work shift) so I offered to let him pay me at the end of the day if he didn't need me the following day or just wait to pay me if he needed me for several days consecutively. I thought it would be less checks to deposit. Well ... no good deed goes unpunished, his check bounced and even overdrew my account by a small amount since I paid some bills. *sigh*

But I work fast and by 7am I had already called my bank and negotiated that the overdraft fee be removed since I immediately transferred money to cover the overdraft, call him and left him a message to pay me today ... in cash and typed up a letter for my records. Of course he didn't answer when I called but I made sure to ask him TWICE in the same message to call me to confirm that he got my message and if I didn't hear from him "soon" that I'd call him back to make sure he gets my message . I was very nice, but I need my $282 + NSF check fee and late fees.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 12-02-2013
Ugh MV that sucks!

....and people wonder why we can be so jaded when it comes to payments.

You try to help someone out a little and rarely if ever, does it work out to e simple.

I require ALL drop in families to pay cash. I don't want to have to worry about them disappearing without me having a signed contract with them or some sort of relationship (so I know where to find them if I HAVE to... )

Do you think he will reply? Is this someone you've provided drop in care for before?

I'm sorry this happened.
daycarediva 09:29 AM 12-02-2013
I, too require drop ins to pay in cash at drop off. No more drop in checks.

As of Jan 1st, all of my payment options will be through childcarepay or cash only. DONE with checks. I have had THREE (different) clients bounce them in the last three months. All are on cash only now, might as well switch everyone over.
Unregistered 09:48 AM 12-02-2013
Yes, after some bounced check in my beginnings, I went to cash only, and its been like that for 10 yrs, I know some clients would prefer to pay check but I just tell them no, this is is what works best for me...money talks, specially when paid ahead of services.
MarinaVanessa 10:36 AM 12-02-2013
The funny thing is that I do work like that ... pay at drop off. This is a neighbor of mine and I care for his kids when his ex-wife flakes on him, which happens a few times a month. I've never had a problem with him ever so I thought no biggie. Ugh, I thought .. this sucks. Then as I was loading the kids to take DD to school he drives passed my house so I was venting to my mom (she rides with me in the morning) about it . I think I spoke too soon because when I got back I realized that my phone was on silent and I had a missed call at 7:45am and a message saying that he was sorry and wanted to take care of it and that he came over but I didn't answer (we were probably loading the kids in the car). I called him and he assured him that he'd paid all fees in cash today, now I'm not so stressed. Hope he comes through.
jojosmommy 10:43 AM 12-02-2013
Im jaded but I still hesitate to believe anyone until the money is in your hand.

Sorry this happened to you.
MyAngels 11:19 AM 12-02-2013
I'm a softie and would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was a long weekend, one of the biggest spending weekends of the year, and he probably just didn't realize how much was going out .

I'm obsessive about keeping track of my checking accounts and even I went when I realized just how much I spent this weekend .

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that he fixes it today
MotherNature 11:29 AM 12-02-2013
Sorry that happened to you. Hope he makes good. At least you know where to find him..Hope he remains a good neighbour.
Heidi 11:37 AM 12-02-2013
Not sure what the laws are there, but in WI writing a bad check that big will get you arrested. Make sure he knows that if it's not taken care of today, you will be calling the police department.
MarinaVanessa 01:49 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Im jaded but I still hesitate to believe anyone until the money is in your hand.

Sorry this happened to you.
I feel the same way, I understand exactly! I'm not going to stress about it because this was extra money on top of what I regularly earn and it's not 5:30 pm yet. If I don't have it in my hand by then that is when I'm going to start stressing and writing another letter and mailing it certified if you catch my drift . I worked for that money.
momofboys 06:45 AM 12-03-2013
Did DCD pay you?
MarinaVanessa 07:18 AM 12-03-2013
Yes he came by last night to give $300. It's not the full amount but he pulled it out of the ATM and they have a $300 limit. Says he'll come by with the rest which is only $27. He was so embarrassed and told me that he would call hos GF and ask for the rest and come later but I didn't want to be bothered so I just told him to come by today, no extra late fee added. He was grateful and sent his daughter over with a small Starbucks bag of vanilla coffe.
Reply Up