Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice on how to proceed?
Soccermom 09:20 AM 05-30-2014
I am closing for the summer in a few weeks (All my DCKS, except 1 family who are both off work right now have teacher parents so it is really nice).

Problem is, I have thought for months about closing (I am soooo burnt out) and have just been accepted to an Online Course to become a Teacher's Assistant at our local Community College.

I just can't do in home daycare anymore, my heart is not in it. I love kids and working with them but being alone with all these kids all day has just really taken its toll this year.

I plan to keep my easiest 2 DCFS and term the rest in order to concentrate on my studies. (I feel horrible because I had promised a spot to the mat leave mom for her baby in the fall but they are one family I am terming)

Should I let them know ASAP or would you wait until the last day before summer break in a few weeks to tell them the bad news.

Also, how would you tell them and what would you say?

I am so stressed about this, I didn't sleep at all last night. They are great people and have become friends. 2 of the families have little ones starting kinder with my own DS in the fall as well but I can't keep doing this. It is destroying my family life and marriage because I am so stressed out all the time.

Thanks for the advice, you girls always know the right thing to say!
childcaremom 09:44 AM 05-30-2014
I am closing next Friday!

I had a short and sweet letter that I typed up and when I handed it to the parents, I just briefly explained that our family's activity level was picking up and that I would need to drive my kids to school next year (I don't transport) and so I would be closing on this date.

I gave my families 4 weeks notice. That was plenty as my choosiest family (in a good way) was able to find something within 2 weeks. So I think you are fine to give notice when you are comfortable, even if that means waiting until you shut down.

Would you be able to just shut down? I considered trying to stay open for my awesome families and hemmed and hawed and felt enormous amounts of guilt for even considering closing. Then decided just to do it and get it over with and jumped (and cheered and screamed) after I handed out the last letter. I AM done. (and it feels great)

For what it's worth: My awesome families begged me to stay open. Offered to drive my kids to school. Told me to tell them if I was ever going to reopen. My not-so-awesome families haven't even acknowledged that I am closing. Not once. Not even a thank you for tracking down 5 names/numbers of providers with openings.

So there you go. Don't stress, they aren't worth it
Laurel 10:16 AM 05-30-2014
I am retiring so am closing June 6. I told them 2 months in advance.

Since you are closing for the summer anyway, I don't see as it would matter when you told them. If you think they'll leave right away and you'd rather have the pay for a couple of weeks then wait. If you'd rather they just leave then tell them now. It isn't like you aren't giving them any notice in either case as you were going to close for the summer anyway.

Laurel
SignMeUp 10:47 AM 05-30-2014
If I'm reading you right, you always close for the summer, but this year it will be permanent.
Personally, I would let them know a week in advance, so that you have a chance to process the goodbyes with your kiddos. That's what I do with my child care kids when someone is leaving here. Longer than that, they don't understand the time frame. Shorter than that, and you don't get to answer their questions.
But if you don't have that kind of relationship with them, then they have months to find new care, so no need for more notice than that and on your last day is plenty of notice for parents.
Reply Up