Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Progress Report Plus Vent
jokalima 04:33 PM 06-21-2014
Now that school is over I have old dck coming back for the summer. I really dislike listening to some of the conversations between some of the families. One family in particular has a child that is the same age as mine. This child has been with me since she was an infant, then they moved her to one of the new "awesome" public school preschool programs. My child obviously stayed with me and he will continue to stay because I am planning to homeschool.

One of the conversations that I hear was about how much their child had progressed since she started to attend this awesome "school" because that is what is called, school, is not a Day Care or preschool, it is a school So they start naming one by one all of this wonderful things this kid have learned during the year. I don't comment, I just listen, as they go about how the teachers have bachelor's degrees or at least an associate and how their child have won awards for doing so well in all sorts of things... Each one of those fabulous things, my child, the one that stayes here, knows as well or in some cases even better.

The other thing that b**** me is the progress part. Of course she is going to have progress!!! She was 3 when she started this "awesome" school so obviously during the year she is going to have progress and learn new things, so did my child and so did every other kid I care for. My husband tells me that I should have a progress report, so parents are more aware of what the children learn and do here. I tell him it would not help in this case because this parents are comparing a child that had just turned 3 when she started this school to what she knows today when she is soon to be 4. This parents are not taking under consideration the developmental stages of the child, and they just think that this wonderfull school did the trick. My husband still believes that a progress report would help. Do any of you have something similar or provide a report each year or before the child moves on?
midaycare 05:14 PM 06-21-2014
I inform the parents all the time what we are working on. I do curriculum learning (I buy it packaged and then usually only use about half of it, making the rest of it my own.)

The parents gets informed verbally by me, in newsletters, by the crafts the kids do (they correspond to the learning), and I often give the parents "homework" i.e. Please work with your child on the letter 'e', Please take this owl puppet home and help your child work on the word 'owl', school agers have to read books and return book reports. And they have to be a certain length.

My daycare also looks more like a place to learn. I have a large independent, creative play area, and the rest of it is learning centers, craft centers, books, and a classroom.

I'm sorry she said that. Since it wasn't directed to you, it's hard to say anything. Sounds like the mom was bragging to a friend.
nannyde 07:55 PM 06-21-2014
It's only words and it doesn't mean anything. The child care has sold their clients on school and progress. They don't have to convince you because you don't give them money. They don't have to have their kids tested. By the time the parents know how the kid fares within their age mates the daycare will be off the hook. It's perfect

Don't worry. It doesn't have a thing to do with you.
Reply Up