Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Good Morning, Neighbor
spud912 08:51 AM 10-13-2014
My daycare parents who are across-the-street neighbors are both off all week (both are teachers on fall break). Dcb was dropped off bright and early right as I opened...dad still in pajamas....both cars still parked in their driveway. Dcb is telling me about how his mom is still asleep and dad is going back home to sleep.

Yes, I know I'm getting paid for this time, but I did offer them the chance to keep dcb home without charge and without it deducting from their vacation time. To my knowledge, he will be here all week 9-10 hours per day.

They can literally look out the window at me taking their son to the park. They can practically hear him playing from where they are.
AmyKidsCo 09:08 AM 10-13-2014
Some children do better when their routine isn't disrupte. But it would be nice if they'd at least shorten his day! Besides, maybe they've got some major home-improvement or schoolwork planned - once they get up.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Some children do better when their routine isn't disrupte. But it would be nice if they'd at least shorten his day! Besides, maybe they've got some major home-improvement or schoolwork planned - once they get up.
I agree...some kids are better when left in routine.

Also as sad as this is for us, it isn't the same for parents for whatever reasons so I leave it alone.

What I do though, is require parents to have a restricted schedule if I KNOW they are off work. They cannot drop off within the first hour of the day and must be picked up before the last hour of the day.

NOTHING worse than waiting around at the end of the day for the last kid to get picked up...especially if you know the parent is not working.
rosieteddy 12:06 PM 10-13-2014
This is why I do not take neighbors chidren any more.Also why I take all paid holidays.Tormented me when child could see parent was home and they were at my house .
crazydaycarelady 12:25 PM 10-13-2014
I can see taking one day to sleep, get caught up, have couple time. Wouldn't it be nice if they kept him the rest of the week?
Soccermom 07:26 AM 10-14-2014
This is so common and one thing about doing daycare that I just cannot wrap my mind around.

Why have kids if you don't want to spend any time with them?

I planned my entire career around being able to spend every waking minute with my kids and have not regretted one second of it. As my children get older, I am really beginning to see the fruit of my labor. We are super close and my older girls are comfortable talking to me about everything.

It is sad how parents do not realize how much the choices they make for their family today will hugely impact the relationship they have with them later.

Time flies and children grow fast.....and no matter how great your childcare provider is, there is NO substitute for a parent.
Shell 11:11 AM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
This is so common and one thing about doing daycare that I just cannot wrap my mind around.

Why have kids if you don't want to spend any time with them?

I planned my entire career around being able to spend every waking minute with my kids and have not regretted one second of it. As my children get older, I am really beginning to see the fruit of my labor. We are super close and my older girls are comfortable talking to me about everything.

It is sad how parents do not realize how much the choices they make for their family today will hugely impact the relationship they have with them later.

Time flies and children grow fast.....and no matter how great your childcare provider is, there is NO substitute for a parent.
Exactly how I feel!
Reply Up